News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:04:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Early seventies schoolyard stunt picture  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Early seventies schoolyard stunt picture
« on: November 01, 2006, 12:03:14 AM »
Here is an oldie of Dave Passannante and Chris McMillin in 1973 at the LeBard Elementry School field in Huntington beach, CA.

Dave is determined to get his well worn McCoy 35 Redhead to fire on stock K&B 100 while I hold. Dave traded his Lionel train set to a guy for the ready built Sterling Custom Ringmaster and engine, then proceded to learn most of the pattern on this thing, and learning that it wouldn't run long enough to complete the pattern. We would learn about castor oil content a little later as my Fox 35 four bolt in the Midwest Magician would run great on Dad's old Hot Rod City mix of 25% castor and about nothin' of nitro. Soon the McCoy was running well again, but still not enough tank for the whole pattern.

Note the cute kid in the yellow windbreaker, my brother Todd. Also note the kids in the background, one even has his own 1/2A (can anyone tell what it is?).

Ah, those were the days. We only got run off on Sat and Sun AM's before 10:00.

The second pic is Dave and me in his Staggerwing Beech. It is a cool ride in which to take the kids to model contests!

Chris...

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Early seventies schoolyard stunt picture
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 05:19:54 AM »
The ½A sorta looks like a Baby Flite Streak. Is that a lawnmower handle just behind the tail?
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 05:47:51 AM »
Here is an oldie of Dave Passannante and Chris McMillin in 1973 at the LeBard Elementry School field in Huntington beach, CA.

Dave is determined to get his well worn McCoy 35 Redhead to fire on stock K&B 100 while I hold. Dave traded his Lionel train set to a guy for the ready built Sterling Custom Ringmaster and engine, then proceded to learn most of the pattern on this thing, and learning that it wouldn't run long enough to complete the pattern. We would learn about castor oil content a little later as my Fox 35 four bolt in the Midwest Magician would run great on Dad's old Hot Rod City mix of 25% castor and about nothin' of nitro. Soon the McCoy was running well again, but still not enough tank for the whole pattern.

Note the cute kid in the yellow windbreaker, my brother Todd. Also note the kids in the background, one even has his own 1/2A (can anyone tell what it is?).

Ah, those were the days. We only got run off on Sat and Sun AM's before 10:00.

The second pic is Dave and me in his Staggerwing Beech. It is a cool ride in which to take the kids to model contests!

Chris...
Try this image. Man, that brings back some memories! I had pants just like the kid in the background holding the plane!Our whole neighborhood flew back then, and wheeled and dealed too.
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 07:28:27 AM »
I would say the second plane in question is a Jumpin Bean
AMA 12366

Offline Rick Campbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 03:00:23 PM »
Chris:

Dave Cook is an expert at photo restoration. That photo restored *would* be a terrific cover for Stunt News - or even Brodak's mag.

Too cool - I gotta photo of me with a Twister - similar vintage.

Rick Campbell

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 11:41:46 PM »
Thanks man,
I'll get in touch with Dave.
Post some pics, Rick.
Chris...

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 05:51:58 PM »
Chris:

Dave Cook is an expert at photo restoration. That photo restored *would* be a terrific cover for Stunt News - or even Brodak's mag.

Rick Campbell
Chris,
If your buddy there can't get around to restoring this photo,just send it to me, thats what I do...just PM me!

I ran your original from your 1st post through Photoshop and did the best that could be done with that low-res scan.
The original print scanned and cleaned up will make a great cover shot!
Later,
Richard
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here