News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:58:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cut-off date  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Cut-off date
« on: November 20, 2006, 10:08:21 AM »
What is the actual design date to be eligible to particpate in classic stunt for the year 2007?   ???

Bob Z.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Cut-off date
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 11:59:10 AM »
Hey Ty: How about some pics of the Stiletto. I'm going to build one this season and can't get enough pics to suit me. This is Larry Lindburgs that flys at Mt Joy, really sharp plane.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 12:14:09 PM »
31 Dec 1969.  Unless you are going to a contest like Marietta, GA with a rolling cut off date, which would go back 25 years from now. That would make the cutoff date: 1981. #^  Now where is that Stiletto I just finished?? j1

IIRC, the folks at Marietta (and some others) call their event: "Nostalgic Stunt" and not Classic Stunt in an effort to eliminate confusion.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 08:29:23 AM »
What is the actual design date to be eligible to particpate in classic stunt for the year 2007?   ???

Bob Z.

Hi Bob,

PAMPA Classic rules state Dec. 31, 1969 as the cut-off for Classic.  The roiginal Nostalgia Stunt that Tom Dixon came up with used the 25 year rolling cut off, but it's been years since the 1969 date was implemented by Mr. Bob Hunt and others...........

As mentioned, Tom D. uses the 25 year cut off for his contest in Marietta.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 07:19:16 PM »
I still think the cutoff should be at least 25 years younger than the pilot!!

Old Time was an era, and pre-'52 is as good as any.  A classic is what was flying when you were a kid or a young man, say under 25 years old.
phil Cartier

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 08:09:42 PM »
I still wanna build a Patternmaster to smite the Nostalgia competition with at marietta!  ~~>
Steve

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 01:14:30 PM »
I still think the cutoff should be at least 25 years younger than the pilot!!

Old Time was an era, and pre-'52 is as good as any.  A classic is what was flying when you were a kid or a young man, say under 25 years old.

Hi Phil,

Then are your "Classic planes" Barnstormers and AA Sr.s??  Or maybe even a Yates Mad Man??   **)

Had to get you on that, buddy.

I have a differing opinion............  "Classic" is as much an *ERA* as OTS.   There is absolutely NOTHING that stops anyone from flying any design after Jan. 1, 1970 in any PAMPA class.  Dan Banjock used to fly a Stiletto, and did very well with it.  A USA-1 in the right hands can win just about any competition in the World, and it yu just GOTTA have a pipe ni it, go ahead!  BTW: the USA-1 is Classic legal.

So, IMHO, we should leave Classic like OTS and have a set cut-off which is fine where it is.  To the chagrin of most Stunt Pilots, the real fact is that just a *handful* of people will EVER win the Walker Trophy (it's like they told us in school that ANYONE *can* grow up to be President of the USA), so why not fly a design that will fly great and not worry if it is a 2006 design??  Steve Fitton won a bunch of Advanced meets flying a Gieske Nobler in the VERY recent past (and a UGLY "yellow" one at that!).  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 07:55:42 AM »
I thought the Yellar Nobler was way kewl...

I'll call Winfred and ask about the Patternmaster...

I know the the Sweeper, or one version of it, is Classic legal, and that the ST .60 had been in use prior to its fitment in the Sweeper...

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 04:35:53 PM »
Re: Bill's reply #7:

Thanks, Bill!

There are no AMA national Classic, or for that matter, Old Time Stunt, rules. And, PLEASE, let's keep it that way...?

However, if a local variant is much different from what we've expected nationwide over the past 10-15 years, I sure hope the organizers make it clear in all publicity for their meets. Simple wording can be something like...

Rolling 25 year Classic cutoff...

ARFs do (or do NOT) get Appearance Points...

No-Flap bonus not awarded in OTS II

Diesel Bonus 5 pts (or 0) pts

Electrics welcome (or not...)

These are things that can, or likely might be, seen differently in different regions. It'd sure be nice to know if one needs to plan significant travel miles to a certain meet...

\BEST\LOU

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 12:24:10 PM »
At the risk of yet another conflagration, I sure wish the cutoff was just a couple of years forward. Say 12/31/71. It would just bring in a lot of very cool planes. Sigh... Yea, I know, there's nothing stopping me from building one of these.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 08:47:23 PM »
The contention was to keep the newer "foamies" out of the mix.  That would include the Genesis, Stunt Machine, Yank by Bill Simons, and Volunteer by Jim Lynch.  You all need to remember that you can, without circumventing AMA safety rules, set some of your own rules at an AMA contest.  Thus you too can run a Nostalgia event just like Tom Dixon does in Marietta and use the rolling cut-off date like Tom does.  You do HAVE to publish the rules changes in your flyer and AMA advertisement.  This would actually bring in to focus some of my own designs, such as the Flying Red Horse, Folkerts SK-4, my Buccaneer I, II, III and IV, and my Pirata.  They were all built and flown prior to the end of 1981.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 09:34:22 PM »
The contention was to keep the newer "foamies" out of the mix.  That would include the Genesis, Stunt Machine, Yank by Bill Simons, and Volunteer by Jim Lynch.  You all need to remember that you can, without circumventing AMA safety rules, set some of your own rules at an AMA contest.  Thus you too can run a Nostalgia event just like Tom Dixon does in Marietta and use the rolling cut-off date like Tom does.  You do HAVE to publish the rules changes in your flyer and AMA advertisement.  This would actually bring in to focus some of my own designs, such as the Flying Red Horse, Folkerts SK-4, my Buccaneer I, II, III and IV, and my Pirata.  They were all built and flown prior to the end of 1981.

Allen Brickhaus

Ok, Allen, some info on the Folkerts SK-4!  It has also been quite some time since I saw the Flying Red Horse.

Needs pictures!  ;D
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here