News:

• May 10, 2024, 04:27:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Classic wing covering  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Classic wing covering
« on: January 05, 2013, 01:37:24 PM »
Guys,
A question came up during our BS session at the field today about wing coverings. If a ship was originally designed with a sheet covering (i.e. Rabe Mustange, the Capprice, Olympic) and the designer either did not publish plans or if published did not show a soft cover option (silk, silkspan, etc), if you change the covering from hard to soft would that be legal under the Classic rules?

Best,       DennisT

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Classic wing covering
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 09:51:46 AM »
Dennis,
The Classic airplanes eligibility has nothing to do with comparative efficiency of the wing surfaces. It is amazing how distorted interpretations have evolved.

I initially suggested the Fidelity points. This was to encourage building the airplanes as originally designed, while recognizing that it is impossible for all judges be aware of all designs.

Foam wings instead of built-up wings and I-beamers; symmetrical or asymmetrical wings as per the original; drastic changes in moments would be examples of airplanes that should not get maximum fidelity points. This should also effect consideration for "best of" type awards.

There have been some really gross interpretations, like judges insisting on reproducing paint schemes and colors.

There is absolutely no intent to disqualify any Classic airplane whether or not Fidelity points are used.

BTW, while the version of the "Olympic"  that was published in American Modeler and later kitted by Brodak has a sheeted wing, earlier versions of the "Olympic" had the I-Beam look, and also a "Nobler" type wing.  Bob Gialdini flew a I-beam like "Olympic" at the '61 nats.  I am not sure that the internal structure was actually an I-beam. The published "Olympic" had more leading edge sweep back than the other versions.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:10:55 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »
I do not think there is a hard-core yes or no - I like Ty's answer.   I would also be amazed if anyone bleeped about a changing a sheeted wing into a C-tube, or vice versa.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:52:51 PM »
If the judges are absolutely sure that the orginal only had one kind of covering and the model in question was something else,or some other change from the "original" and even if fidelity points are not used, judges have the option to reduce appearance points.  I have seen this done on several occasions.

In one way, I can understand the concept of "fidelity" points for the classic event.  However, there are no guidelines regarding how far "fidelity" to the original is to be judged.  One opinion might have it that to be eligible for any fidelity points, there should be some presentation with documentation showing photographs, construction drawings and power train used on the original, then the judges have some basis to award any fidelity points.  I am sure the drafters of the classic rules did not intend to require such documentation or to even think about it, but my question would be to them, how else can a judge award fidelity points on an equitable basis from one model to the other.  Thus, my opinion above that when "known" deviations from the original, be it construction, shapes, paint schemes or whatever, judges can deduct appearance points.

Do not bother with sending bomb shells.  That is my opinion and no argument will change it.

Keith
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 10:10:35 PM by Trostle »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »
Guys,
A question came up during our BS session at the field today about wing coverings. If a ship was originally designed with a sheet covering (i.e. Rabe Mustange, the Capprice, Olympic) and the designer either did not publish plans or if published did not show a soft cover option (silk, silkspan, etc), if you change the covering from hard to soft would that be legal under the Classic rules?

Best,       DennisT

The answer is absolutely YES ..... it is still "legal"  to fly, if the change is large you may get hit with minus fidelity points, but you can still fly the airplane.

Randy

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:28:16 AM »
Who uses fidelity points?   Even at the NATS I only seen appearance points, not fidelity the few years I tried to compete and have fun.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

John Leidle

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »
  Reduce Appearance points because of using a covering material ,,not used on the original?? Never seen that written, I think Fidelity points covered that one.
               John

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 07:20:01 PM »
The plans from which I built my Olympic, show a fully sheeted wing version, and one which is open structure-covered with silkspan or silk, I believe. I opted for Ultracoat, in hopes of saving weight. Can you see it in my little picture/avatar?

I thought Mr. Gialdini designed a sharp trim scheme for the plane, too, so I duplicated it, to the best of my ability-in purple.
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 11:51:38 PM »
I have been to only one contest that used Fidelity points.  I was pretty disappointed in that I only got 14 pts.  The model was built exactly like the original, painted and marked exactly like the original and the only difference was the engine which you couldn't tell by looking and it was a vintage 4-2 engine, not a modern super engine............... just disappointed........

BIG Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

John Leidle

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 01:49:05 AM »
 We used to use Fidelity points up here & I always got maximum points, I don't know why because I used a modern engine ..the paint job was close but a variation or 2.

John Leidle

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 02:26:55 PM »
 Hey Ty,  my new plane has a Merco .61 in it ,,,close to a Veco .61 but I doubt the Dutch used  Vecos either,, doing the best I'm able . Also the paint will be a little Jazzier .
  John

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
Hi John,

While it makes no difference, the Dutch might just have used the Veco.  Several pilots from "Europe" did use Vecos, even McCoy Red Heads!  Use what ya got, do it the way you want to and have fun.  Like Ty said, it's a crap shoot with the judges anyway and I think they do the best they can.

BIG Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags: covering 

Advertise Here