News:

• May 17, 2024, 11:25:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Classic Planes I have not seen modeled that deseve to be  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Jim Pollock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Classic Planes I have not seen modeled that deseve to be
« on: September 27, 2009, 03:46:53 PM »
There are the ones I would like to see fly in classic:

1.  Ruby,  by Arthur Alfieri.

2.  Topper, John D'Ottavio

3.  Dragonfly,  John Triolo

« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 12:00:53 PM by Ty Marcucci »

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Classic Planes I have not seen modeled that deseve to be
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 04:13:52 PM »
Hi Jim,  Lou Wolgast flew a Dragonfly at the 2005 SAM Champs.  It suffered from bad engine runs and just missed placing.  I was judging the Classic event and remember the odd fuselage profile with it's exposed pushrod, different to be sure.  Here are two pics of Lou and his plane from the Cholla Choppers site.

http://www.ccmaconline.org/sam_in_vegas.htm

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 08:34:11 PM »
There are so many classic planes for which plans are not really available. I would love to build a Bambrick "Ultrasonic" or Dave Gierke's Novi II (not to be confused with the All American Eagle) along with several other planes I've seen pictures of but as far as I know there are no plans for.

Sigh...
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 02:23:55 PM »
Jim   I remember seeing at least two King Sweep's in NYS back in the 60's. I thought my Jet with the same sweep back in the wing flew a lot better than they did. I was using a Fox.59 and they had Fox.35's in there models. I think there King Sweep's  were tail heavy. I still have the model.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 03:37:19 PM »
One that I think should be modeled should be Thornton Hoffman's Conquistador, a very pretty eliptical wing planform. y1
Matt Colan

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 06:50:55 PM »
Agreed the Conquistador is a very nice looking model. There's one in the hangar room at Gordy's, built by one of his buddies back in High School. A beautiful job of building too. The wing is pretty skinny though, and it can get over weight real fast.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 06:08:01 PM »
Jim,

Unless my memory is wrong, the nearest thing to a "full-size" Aldrich Peacemaker was the diesel powered one GMA published in April 1960 MAN. Full body, somewhat larger than the TF FliteStreak, swept but rounded TE tips wing and tail. George suggested a glow 25 or 29 should also work. KeilKraft, in the UK, kitted at least a profile Peacemaker w/similar planform, and TF kitted the MAN version for a while, I believe.

Seem to recall D'Ottavio's Topper as an AYSC Profile version of his JayDee Falcon... sound right to you?

The Which-A-Way didn't look very likely to provide a decent pattern flight...

The article for the Altagerra is in Tony Elmore's articles site, scans of AeroModeller and Ian Allen's Model Aviation CL articles, at:

www.the.elmores.btinternet.co.uk/articles/_cat001.html

Fascinating site! Not all CLPA, but wild stuff. He aso posts an engines site - same url, except with /engine_tests/ instead of /articles/.
PGF Chinn and Ron Moulton did a lot of engine reviews for those two mags...

The scans aren't really sharp enough to allow blowing up the page plan to 1:1 building size, but most should still be available, somewhere.
\BEST\LOU

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »
Bill,

To your Reply #6 or #7 - The TF Peacemaker kit was mentioned earlier in the thread. Perhaps I shoulda included and "also" about the UK side of the story? :D
\BEST\LOU

Offline WhittleN

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »
Les
Never say there are no hammers in model airplanes.  - When I was working for K&B, in the old days, Johnny Brodbeck Jr. decided "there are no hammers in model airplane engine assembly” - had to give all the hammers back to the assembly ladies after nothing got assembled in several days.
Norm

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 09:29:35 PM »
I plan to model one over the winter that hasn't been modeled before. At least since the original.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline jjorgensen

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 10:38:02 AM »
I build one of the top flight peacemaker's back in the early 70's. The only engine I had was a stallion 35 that I shoehorned in somehow. There were no hobby shops near so I got a package of guitar strings from the hardware store to use for leadout wire. I figured the plans were wrong because one wing was longer than the other so I built them the same length. On the first flight, the smaller guitar string broke, leaving me with up only. It did about 10 tight loops before it rekitted itself! I got the plans for it a couple of years ago and scratch built one with a Thunder Tiger 25 and it was a great airplane. Lost it learning outside squares.
Jim Jorgensen

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 07:39:29 PM »
Well, here's my Conquistador. T&L McCoy  .40 redhead for power. I haven't flown it yet, just liked it's looks and so it is on the wall until one of these days. Next to it is the "Sleekster", L&J Fox .35. Two flights, needs trimming.
[/quote

Hey Ty,
Got any more pics of the Sleekster.....it has been on my list since I was a pup? #^

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 06:07:25 PM »
I noticed #2, "Sunken Treasure"...I think it was actually "Shrunken Treasure", but could be wrong. It was a play on words, because the plane was designed for a .15 glow engine. The designer also designed "Dominator", another .15 sized, full fuselaged stunter. It was an  inverted engine design with a straight wing and no flaps. I'm pretty sure it was published in Flying Models. I built two profiles based on the design in '59-'60, "The Green Monster" and "The Mojave Hornet". They both were pretty good fliers. I'd like to get the "Dominator" plans or magazine article...  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 09:43:19 PM »
There are so many classic planes for which plans are not really available. I would love to build a Bambrick "Ultrasonic" or Dave Gierke's Novi II (not to be confused with the All American Eagle) along with several other planes I've seen pictures of but as far as I know there are no plans for.

Sigh...
Right on Randy...Don's beautiful Ultrasonic was amazing. Again here is the shot I took at the 69 Nats with my old Minolta SR 2 on old Kodachrome.

Randy...didn't Dennis Adamisin say he could check with Don's son about that UltraSonic that was said to be a slightly enlarged version of his Fury...with a little more JetStylin n Profilin added and a tad more wing ribs?
Looking forward to seeing your new WORK OF SKYART UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL...perhaps we need to have an old SeaCaptain somewhere perform and bestow a Christinininining' blessing Charm apon those beautiful balsa bones that you created so beautifully. BW@
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 12:27:08 AM »
Don,

Dennis sent me the measurements and a ton of pictures of the plane as it now is, sitting in his Dad's basement. I had planed to do the plan based on Don B's Fury 2. I ordered the plans from Flying Models, but they never came.

AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 10:36:28 AM »
Wow Randy...AND DENNIS!!!!

What I wouldn't give to see more photos of BIG ART'S BASEMENT COLLECTION OF CLPA HISTORY!!!

RANDY! LET'S E MAIL THAT DIRTBAG BUNCH OF SLACKERS EACH AND EVERY DAYAT FLYING MODELS...until  get on the ball and FIND THAT PLAN OF BAMBRICKS!!! :! LL~ S?P VD~
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 10:54:34 PM »
Donnie,

I emailed them to ask what was up. No answer. Figures.

And I do think the Avenger is a pretty bird.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 06:53:36 PM »
I kinda think the Avenger is a pretty bird too,,
a week,, one week, color starts next weekend,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »
I kinda think the Avenger is a pretty bird too,,
a week,, one week, color starts next weekend,,

May the Paint Angels and Randy' Belfreeeeee' bats...take a liking to you...instead of a lickin' H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »
I notice that Flying Models is re-vamping it's plan site. Could be that they are just getting reorganized.

By the way, I finally got my plan, too. Pretty much the same way Bill got his.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here