News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:31:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Classic Legal Chipmunk?  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Aaron Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Classic Legal Chipmunk?
« on: November 05, 2011, 06:44:11 PM »

Which Chipmunk is classic legal?
I know Walter made a kit of one but is it the only classic legal one?

Is the Sig one N30 legal?

Thanks in advance guys?
Aaron

Offline Stan Tyler

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
Re: Classic Legal Chipmunk?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »
The Joe Dill Chipmunk that RSM kits is also classic legal.
Stan Tyler
AMA 3239

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:57:43 AM »
Leroy Black had a Joe Dill Chipmunk at the Dallas Labor Day contest. It an excellent flying airplane.
AMA 7544

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 08:59:50 AM »
Leroy Black had a Joe Dill Chipmunk at the Dallas Labor Day contest. It an excellent flying airplane.

Hey Tom, is that one drastically different from the others?

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
Hi, Aaron, I'm building an RSM kit Chipmunk now, like the looks.  Seems just a little more "scale-ish" than some
of the others.  Excellent kit, by the way, super wood and hardware. Definitely classic legal, great looking ship!
ama 72090

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:47:50 AM »
Hi, Aaron, I'm building an RSM kit Chipmunk now, like the looks.  Seems just a little more "scale-ish" than some
of the others.  Excellent kit, by the way, super wood and hardware. Definitely classic legal, great looking ship!

Bill, that sounds promising, what about the wing is it a modified nobler orbsomething else?

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:17:12 PM »
Aaron.
Can't give details, but Bill H. can.
Here is a picture of Leroy Black's taken by Dave Russum in Dallas 9-4-11.
AMA 7544

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 06:26:53 PM »
Hi, Aaron, no, not a Nobler.  Slightly thicker foil, slightly different shape wing...well, ok, maybe they're ALL
modified Noblers!  If it would help, give me your address, I'll send you a copy of the plans.
ama 72090

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 06:37:25 PM »
Hi, Aaron, no, not a Nobler.  Slightly thicker foil, slightly different shape wing...well, ok, maybe they're ALL
modified Noblers!  If it would help, give me your address, I'll send you a copy of the plans.

We have the plans for the umland kit.
I am looking to put together a good flying smaller plane I can use for PAMPA and nostalgia/classic if needed.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 11:53:44 PM »
FWIW, Mike Gretz's webpage covering the history of the Sig Chipmunk kits says the CL3 Chipmunk was introduced in 1968, and the CL19 Super Chipmunk in 1973.  

http://members.zumatel.net/mdgretz/Chipmunk.htm

If the dates are correct, wouldn't the CL3 Chipmunk be classic legal, and the CL19 Super Chipmunk be N30 legal?

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
Hi guys,
I have the Sig Chipmunk CL-3 Kit, well guess what?? I want to change a few things that Mr. David F. has print to do to the Sig Chipmunk to improve its performance. David changed the length of the wing, fuse, size of the stab, etc. Is this still a Sig Chipmunk???

Okay, here we go, I want to use a legacy fuse, (they look very close, 3" difference in moments??) Increase wing size to be equal, make stab and elevator area larger, (maybe 3"). Use the Sig Canopy, cause its a Chipmunk?? Yes also the chipmunk tail. I purchased a older style Super Tigre 51 so maybe that will help keep her a classic?? I plan on using the Chipmunk Paint scheme. Just bye looking at her I don't believe ya could tell if shes legal or not??? I guess I  could install the OS Max 46 VF on Pipe, that would be cool???

I would think ya would have to be on your honor to play in classic???

Don't get serious, just playing around but going to build the plane.
Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 10:33:35 AM »

Gary, I guess depending on when David did it, his modded Chipmunk may be Nostalgia 30 legal now?

Anyone know what year he did the mods to his?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »
Hi guys,
I have the Sig Chipmunk CL-3 Kit, well guess what?? I want to change a few things that Mr. David F. has print to do to the Sig Chipmunk to improve its performance. David changed the length of the wing, fuse, size of the stab, etc. Is this still a Sig Chipmunk???

Okay, here we go, I want to use a legacy fuse, (they look very close, 3" difference in moments??) Increase wing size to be equal, make stab and elevator area larger, (maybe 3"). Use the Sig Canopy, cause its a Chipmunk?? Yes also the chipmunk tail. I purchased a older style Super Tigre 51 so maybe that will help keep her a classic?? I plan on using the Chipmunk Paint scheme. Just bye looking at her I don't believe ya could tell if shes legal or not??? I guess I  could install the OS Max 46 VF on Pipe, that would be cool???

I would think ya would have to be on your honor to play in classic???

Don't get serious, just playing around but going to build the plane.
Gary

Hi Gary,

Just remember that there have been TWO Sig Chipmunk kits.  The original Jim Van Loo (CL-3) and the later "Super Chipmunk" (which I believe is still in production).  I believe the "Super" is the modded Fitzgerald version. ???

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 12:34:35 PM »
HI Bill, Actually Three kits. First kits (blue /white checkers on label, short box) had no kit number as SIG didn't use kit numbers on any of their kits at first. Second run, CL3 was in a longer box and red/yellow checkers label and had Mike Stott holding Chipmunk over his  head as SR Nats winner. I have two of each kit.  H^^

Hi Ty,

Is there any significant difference in the un-numbered kit and the second run CL-3?

Thanks!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 03:21:25 PM »
Hi Bill. None that I can tell, but I would asssume only for collectors af rare kits.  But they did put out two different runs in two different size and color boxes, not unlike the three type boxes/labels by Veco and Mid West and Goldberg on some of their kits.
I find some people get confused by the different box types and make assumption based on this.
Veco did the first kits in plain b rown carboard with basic labels in different colored ink, ie; red for the Chief, Blue or Green for the Brave and Warrior.  Then they went to the beautiful blue and yellow full head dress, full box, prints, then to the more common red checkered boxes.  H^^

Hi Chief!

Thanks.  I can see where the collectors would have interest in the differences of packages for the kits.  I never have really seen the old "plain brown wrappers" with the Veco kits (that I can remember) but, I loved the full color labels with the different Native American scenes! y1  I only have a Smoothie label of that vintage, but I like it!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »
Hi Gary,

Just remember that there have been TWO Sig Chipmunk kits.  The original Jim Van Loo (CL-3) and the later "Super Chipmunk" (which I believe is still in production).  I believe the "Super" is the modded Fitzgerald version. ???

Big Bear
I'm not sure when DF first made the mods to the Chipmonk, but the Sig Super Chip does not reflect the changes. Dave did a lot of tweaking, including equal panel wings, longer fuse etc. The kit flys great, but with his mods is supposed to be even better. I've got a Sig Super Chip on the build bench right now and I'm incorporating many of the DF mods.

Brian-
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 10:22:55 AM »
I'm not sure when DF first made the mods to the Chipmonk, but the Sig Super Chip does not reflect the changes. Dave did a lot of tweaking, including equal panel wings, longer fuse etc. The kit flys great, but with his mods is supposed to be even better. I've got a Sig Super Chip on the build bench right now and I'm incorporating many of the DF mods.

Brian-

Hi Brian,

I am sure the original Sig kit will fly even better with Dave's (and his Dad's) mods.  What will you use for power?

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here