News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:42:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Classic for VSC  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Classic for VSC
« on: September 29, 2023, 06:11:56 AM »
Are you Knowledgeable of the classic rules for VSC

I want to build a Larry Scarinzi  "Grey Ghost"

Can I add leading edge sheeting and cap strips to the wing?

Fred Quedenfeld

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Classic for VSC
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 07:49:52 AM »
Hi Fred:

Well, actually you can do whatever you please in modifying the construction of a particular model, but you then run the risk of having fidelity points subtracted. There have been a number of models flown in Classic contests (not just VSC...) that have had a number of structural or dimensional changes, and rarely has anyone objected. It's really a personal integrity thing; if you are comfortable not adhering to the written rules of the event, that's between you and your conscience. For a long time the rules have been "bent" and those transgressions have been largely overlooked in favor of more participation. There have been many cases where tail length (distance between the hinge line of the flaps and the elevators) has been dramatically increased by some in an effort to improve the performance of a given Classic era airplane, and those changes were not even questioned officially. They were, however, noticed by many competitors and the guilty parties were mostly kiddingly admonished. I suppose the old rule of "Let's not hurt each other shall we..." came into play in most instances. I don't think a lot of the competitors in those contests would care to have their airplanes examined closely in respect to plan accuracy...

If this were a true "fidelity to the original model" issue, then virtually all of the models entered in most Classic (and Old Time...) contests would fall short. Hey, long ago it was decided to allow modern engines, modern control system components, modern finishing materials, modern props and spinners, etc. Had these things not been allowed the attendance in the vintage events would have dwindled to just a few very dedicated individuals who endeavor to produce absolute replicas of a given model as it would have been in its actual historic timeframe. But those very gifted and dedicated people are few and far between, and all of them put together would not be enough in numbers to sustain a competition event these days.

So, again, it's a personal thing. Just be aware that if you win a Classic contest with a model that is obviously modified in structure, planform, or even "character" you just might be protested. Likely? Probably not, but just sayin'...

Later - Bob Hunt       

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 08:41:01 AM »
Fred,
The Grey Ghost is a fantastic ship. It was one of the few stunt ships, I saw Larry fly it at the Perth Amboy meet, it grabbed my attention and held it for the whole flight (at the time I was 14 and didn't fly stunt). Larry flew it fast and very crisp, the corners were blinding. I believe he had a Johnson 35 in it and used all its power, may have been on 62' lines. This wing is similar to the wing used in the El Diablo, kinda a pre-Ibeamer. I have built the El D and still fly mine in OTS.

My advice is this wing is very good as is but don't use MonoKote or any plastic type covering, use 4 - 6 mm silk or medium silkspan. Don't use a clear finish on the silk unless you have a very good UV resistant clear (not dope). I would build the spar first and add a layer of 1/64 plywood to the top and bottom, apply with slow epoxy and weight it down to cure. Round the leading edge, use hard balsa for the stab, seal the hinge line.

Don't know what you have in mind for power, but this is not a 4-2-4 kind of ship. Something like a Fox Combat 35, K&B Trop 35 on a 10x5 would do well or an OS FP 35 - 40 or even an OS FP25 on 9 1/2x4. If using a muffler on the Fox or K&B cut the prop to 9 1/2" diameter to reduce the load heat. Use good fuel and enjoy.

Here is the plan and article: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3423

Best,   DennisT   

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 02:28:01 PM »
I love the "dogleg" wing spar!  Overall, it looks like an outsized VECO Redskin--which is a beautifully proportioned airplane. Another plane I always thought was of the same genre of the Ghost was the Lieutenant.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 05:18:08 PM »
Yes, the Lieutenant is another very good non-flapped ship. It also was not a 4-2-4 kind of ship. One thing with this ship is to round the wing leading edge as much as possible for smoother level flight and kept the stab leading edge as sharp as possible. Here is the plan file that includes the article: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3876

Best,  DennisT

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 08:53:10 AM »
Larry and LeRoy Ducharme (designer of the Lieutenant) were very good friends and were both veterans of the Air Force.

I was privileged to have watched the first flights on the Grey Ghost at the Union Model Airplane Club field, and, like Dennis, I was also at the Perth Amboy contest that Larry won with the "Ghost." It was a very windy day and the Stunt event was run on a ball diamond that had a severe slope just adjacent to it. The turbulence was awful and many of the slower flapped ships just could not get through the conditions. But the Grey Ghost just thundered through the pattern at about 70 MPH - with its wing bending significantly as it cornered - and captured the win for Larry. Vivid memory...

For those reading here who may not be aware of what the Grey Ghost looks like, I'm posting one of the photos that was included in the Flying Models article.

Unfortunately the Grey Ghost is one of the very few models that was either sold, given away, or crashed before Larry passed earlier this year. Larry left behind a large number of absolutely gorgeous models. He was one of a kind and he will be forever missed by those of us who knew him.

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 08:42:19 AM »
I built several of Larry’s designs but not the Grey Ghost. Most of his .35 size models were built like I-Beam models with the leading edge ,spar,trailing edge parts put into openings in the body. He did not cut out the side and shove the wing in as most do. There was no planking in the center of the wing only a wide rib to connect the covering to. I built them as I-Beam with very narrow caps on ribs and they looked just like Larry’s. Last one I built was the Gay Devil,not sure about name.
 I went to his bike shop a few times to get vintage bikes he saved for me. I did the tour of the old workshop years before the video of it. It was not cluttered like in the video. He told me he thought the flexing wing was a good idea in the 1950,s. He must has a lot of 1/2x1/2 balsa as he used it a lot in all his models.
  He used his building method before the I-Beam was well known.
 EddyR
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 06:08:24 AM »
Fred,

Are you going to put that GMA ABC Fox 35 in the Grey Ghost that you got from me?  Tom
Tom McClain

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here