News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:23:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chizler engine/prop combo?  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Ken Deboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Chizler engine/prop combo?
« on: October 05, 2006, 05:55:02 PM »
What would be a good engine/prop combo for a Chizler? Article states it is designed to fly about 45 mph. Are there any current engines that will run well while flying the plane at that speed? Also doesn't look like there is a lot of ground clearance for large props...

thanks,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Chizler engine/prop combo?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 06:02:53 PM »
What would be a good engine/prop combo for a Chizler? Article states it is designed to fly about 45 mph. Are there any current engines that will run well while flying the plane at that speed? Also doesn't look like there is a lot of ground clearance for large props...

thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken,

The Chizler is a Nobler with a banana shaped fuselage!  **)

I have seen them fly absolutely great with Fox 35 and OS 35S engines.

If you really want to have an absolutely wonderful setup, get an Aero Tiger 36. 

A Magnum 36 (square head XL-II) is a great less expensive set up as is a Brodak 40.

I do think you will need to lengthen the LG unless you go with a Fox or OS 35S.  Of course, you can go to 3 blade props, if you want to get a Bolly and run just about anything.  I would not suggest an LA 40, or LA 46, but that's up to you.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 06:07:13 PM »
Ken,

What Bill said.  Also you may want to try an LA 25 it should haul it around nicely and you can go to a lower pitch prop to slow it down.

My first choice would be the Fox though.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 06:16:39 PM »
Ken,

What Bill said.  Also you may want to try an LA 25 it should haul it around nicely and you can go to a lower pitch prop to slow it down.

My first choice would be the Fox though.

Hi Tom and Ken,

I didn't think of the LA 25, but that might really be good!  "Papa Dave" Hemstraught used one in his ARF Nobler to get second place last year at a Huntersville meet in Classic.  And that is a tough thing to do!  I *think* he ran a 10-4 prop on it.  Huntersville draws a LOT of Experts in Classic, including some past (and present) NATS OTS and Classic Champions.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 07:00:42 PM »
I think the original ran a Tornado 3 blade....   ?9x6  :)
Jim

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 07:43:54 PM »
To amplify what Bill said, the Chizler is so much a Nobler that Tom Morris' Drop-in control system for the Nobler will work just fine!

And while the Chizler may fly at 45 mph, remember who designed it and wrote the article. I think I remember hearing that FastRichard's Chizler weighed something like 32 oz. At that weight, it had to be extremely sensitive to wind gusts Mine flew just fine at 43 oz. with a Fox .35, probably at about 55 mph.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 09:42:29 PM »
I think the original ran a Tornado 3 blade....   ?9x6  :)
Jim

Hi Jim,

Richard did have a 3 bld. gray Tornado on it for the article pictures.  I guess I could go check out the pictures of it on the PAMPA site......

He flew it in 3 NATS, but I'm not sure if there were 1 or 2 different Chizlers.  The first one had the red Jap Tissue finish on it.  Then I think Dick painted it and maybe built another one. ??????

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 09:45:10 PM »
To amplify what Bill said, the Chizler is so much a Nobler that Tom Morris' Drop-in control system for the Nobler will work just fine!

And while the Chizler may fly at 45 mph, remember who designed it and wrote the article. I think I remember hearing that FastRichard's Chizler weighed something like 32 oz. At that weight, it had to be extremely sensitive to wind gusts Mine flew just fine at 43 oz. with a Fox .35, probably at about 55 mph.

Hi Ralph,

It's amazing just how many planes that Tom's drop-in Nobler controls will "Drop in to"!

There really were a WHOLE LOT of "Noblers" back then that were called something else!  **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 01:20:28 AM »
Hi Jim,

Richard did have a 3 bld. gray Tornado on it for the article pictures.  I guess I could go check out the pictures of it on the PAMPA site......

He flew it in 3 NATS, but I'm not sure if there were 1 or 2 different Chizlers.  The first one had the red Jap Tissue finish on it.  Then I think Dick painted it and maybe built another one. ??????

Bill <><

Here is what I know about the original Chizler that Dick Mathis published in Flying Models.

The original was finished in red jap tissue with a clear dope finish.  Trim was with black tissue under the clear dope.   This is the one that is in the pictures in the magazine article and is the way it looked when he placed second at the 67 Nats (Los Alamitos).  He later painted that same model white with red and blue trim.  This is what he flew (the same model) at the 68 Nats (Olathe).  When he published the design and when he flew it at the 67 Nats and maybe the 68 Nats, he was using a 3-blade Tornado prop, (like the old gray ones).  I may be mistaken, but I am fairly certain that he used a 10-4 cut down to something around a 9 inch diameter.  That is about all the Fox 35 could turn  of those 3-blade props, but it gave him the lap times he was looking for.  (In the pictures, the blades look very wide.  Thisis what happens when you cut the tips off of those three blade props.)  Basically, it had a Nobler wing.  His article even suggests that you could use a wing from a Nobler kit.  However, I think the magazine plans showed an airfoil that was slightly thicker.  The airplane is a supurb performer. 

Dick had several later versions, one which he experimented with retracting gear.

RSM now puts out a supurb kit of this.  The plans for the kit were approved by Dick Mathis

I have had two and hope to have another someday to use for Classic.  I used an OS 35S as reworked by Tom Lay.  I used a Brian Ether three blade carbon prop, about a 10/5.5 cut down to around 9.5 inches.  It really worked well for me.  I really feel that it is one of the best airplanes I have flown.  This is the way I felt about the two Chizlers I had as well as the Chizler that Ted Fancer has (still) which I have flown on several occasions.

Keith

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 01:05:27 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the input. I have the RSM kit. If I can build it light enough (40 oz.) I think I'll run a T&L OS 35-S. If it comes out heavy, I'll probably go with an Aero Tiger 36 or an FP 35 depending on how my hobby budget looks at the time.
The Chizler and Coyote are two of my favorite classic stunt ships, along with the Shark 45 and Kieth Trostle's TA-152. Now if RSM would only kit the 152...

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 12:30:59 PM »
Ted's Chizler flies exceptionally well. He had an OS35S with a Grish Tornado 3 blade. Could have been a cut down 10x6 or a 9x6. The engine fried, unfortunately, but the plane flew very well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here