News:

• May 06, 2024, 06:02:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Centuar-Ken Taylor  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Centuar-Ken Taylor
« on: July 01, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »
I was looking for models with upright engine mountings for Classic.  I found the Centuar by Ken Taylor (Australia) and it looks really good.  It has options for the LG, even a tricycle gear option.

My question is: has anyone seen or have any knowledge about this design?  It was made into a kit, but I don't know if the kit was Australian or British.  IIRC, it was from around 1956.

Thanks for any info!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline charlie

• Lieutenant
Re: Centuar-Ken Taylor
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 06:40:03 AM »
The Centaur was kitted by Central models, an Australian company in Melbourne.  Peter White in Western Australia has plans for this.
Charlie
Charlie Stone  (The West Australian one)

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »
Doesn't the Jerseyian have an upright engine?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 12:29:32 PM »
The Centaur was kitted by Central models, an Australian company in Melbourne.  Peter White in Western Australia has plans for this.
Charlie

Thanks, Charlie.  I appreciate the info!  I do have the plans and I have an almost new Merco .35RH to go into one.  I "might" send it to a laser cutter for a short kit. ???

Thanks, again!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 01:43:55 PM »
Doesn't the Jerseyian have an upright engine?

Hi Rich,

I should have said I was looking for a British, or related, bird with an upright engine that hasn't been done (to my knowledge) to show off a Red Head Merco .35. ;D  I have one that is like brand new, with a spare new sleeve/piston.  Since I can't fly worth a hoot, I want something different that flies well.  With "Open" class around here, Classic or Nostalgia 30 is a matter of flying against everyone, no break down of skill classes.  So if I don't finish dead last, I am pretty happy! LL~ LL~

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:46:10 PM »
I've seen a picture of the Centaur...(I think Saturn Models made a kit), and thought it looked much like a Barnstormer Mk.II, and was about the same time frame. Maybe you can compare the two plans? There was a significant amount of "American Influence" in early Australian stunt and combat designs, if you know what I mean (wink, wink). Not saying that was a bad thing...there was an awful lot of "American Influence" in American stunt and combat designs, too... now commonly known as "kit bashing".

A real British Classic stunter with an upright engine would be the "Coy Lady"...and there were others, I think. I'm sure the AeroModeller's Plansbook would reveal some alternates. I'll look.  :! Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 09:13:33 AM »
I bet someone on the Barton club forum would know about it. I'm not a member: I just lurk there.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 12:04:12 PM »
Calamity Jane from the Aeromodeller Plans Service has an upright engine and doesn't fly badly either. I built one when I was a kid, because it looked like a T'Bird, which I couldn't get a plan for! I suppose the early T'Bird had an upright engine too.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here