News:

• May 09, 2024, 07:26:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Calling Hanger Historians: Ron Adams Intruder & Maroot  (Read 1307 times)

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Calling Hanger Historians: Ron Adams Intruder & Maroot
« on: June 27, 2007, 07:27:25 PM »
Need some help locating at least the mag articles and maybe even the plans for a couple old BIG jet style stunters, I'll bet someone here in the Hanger can find them.

There was a gentleman living in the Detroit area in the 1960's named Ron Adams.  Ron liked big stunters with hich scale content.  I think two of these were published - I think in American Modeler magazine, and I am guessing it would have been somewhere around 1967 through maybe 1972 time frame.

The A-6 Intruder was a large airplane flying with an ST 46.  Very pretty in light grey/white Navy trim.  Among the features was that he had air channels where the twin jets would be.  On one side, he used what we would now describe as a tuned pipe header to pipe the exhaust into the tube built into the fuselage (not a sealed joint) to were it exited rougly at the trailing edge of the wing in the scale location for the jet exhaust.  The other side tube was used as an air outlet for the cowl.  He was doing this before mufflers or tuned pipes, but he got a wonderful sound out of it.  And the Jet looked really cool with the exhaust coming out of the right spot!

THe Maroot (Marute?) "wind spirit" was I think a 72" span with around 850 sq in flying with a ST 60.  I remember this being a very good flying airplane also.  See pix.

Ron later moved out west, I understand he is in California, but I do not know if he still flies or not...

There is a post about Classic models that could use 60's - either of these would be candidates.  Built "to spec" they would be truly awesome, and you would have to remind yourself that these are 40 year old designs!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Calling Hanger Historians: Ron Adams Intruder & Maroot
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 08:00:03 PM »
Dennis, 

The Marut by Ron Adams appeared in the October 1971 issue of American Aircraft Modeller. 

850 sq in and 98 ounces!!!  Powered by a 45!!  He wrote that the weight is good to have when flying in the wind.

I checked but the AMA plans service does not list this design.  You might want to contact the AMA plans service because they have most of the AAM plans, or at least I thought they did.

I do not have any listings of a published design by Ron Adams for the A-6 Intruder.

Keith

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 08:27:08 PM »
THANKS Keith!  That's a good lead for rounding up Marut plans.  98 oz = 6.5 POUNDS!

Ron also had the only Palmer Skyscraper I ever saw.   I have plans (drawings) for that one, but as of yet I do not have PLANS (intentions) for that one!

SO MANY WANNA BUILD PROJECTS!  I'll have to quit my job and become a full time model builder - if only I can convince my banker and my wife (not necessarily in that order!)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 08:35:19 AM »
Thank you, Gentlemen! 

I have been very interested in Ron's A-6 Intruder since I first heard about it.  I have yet to even see a picture of it!

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 07:44:53 PM »
Update on the Marut: AMA Library fixed me up with a copy of the text.  They can also do the plans IF I can tell them the correct dimensions like the span - I think it was 72".  I know the wing area  was 850 so I could just do some scaling and determine the correct size.

Then again, it might be fun to scale it to say 600 sq. in. and build it in a size I like!

AMA library had NO leads on the Intruder, I thought it was published but I must have been wrong...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 10:33:57 PM »
I saw the Intruder when I was a small boy. Dad and Ron were flying buddies when we lived in Chicago in '64 to '66. I think it had a Veco 45. It had a real quiet sound to it.

Ron also had a big low wing cabin monoplane stunter that I think was a Woodpecker, British design I believe. I saw it in Ron's basement when the families got together for dinner one time. I recall it had a side mounted engine.

I think my father saw Ron at Mile Square (Orange County, Ca) in the early nineties once. No contact since, though.

Chris... 

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 03:41:15 PM »
Dennis,

Unless the AAM article text confirms the MARUT flew before 1970, it isn't eligible as Classic. So, if you want to use the looks, you can wrap them around anything you want, and fly it in Skill Class PA.

Mebbe even build it lighter...?
\BEST\LOU

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 05:58:54 PM »
Lou:
Check the photo in my first post: dated April 1968.  I was told that this would be enough to document "Classic Legal" (is it???)  The AAM Article is October 1971 - TOO LATE!

According to the text it was the A6A Intruder that weighed 98 oz.  The Marut weighed "only" 80 oz!  Yet it flew with a Veco 45, and I remember that it seemed to fly quite well; that pix in my original post was taken in the spring of 1968 at the Rouge Park flying field.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 06:05:06 PM »
Chris:
Yes I remember the Woodecker too - I think it was a Frank Warbuton design?

As I recall Ron ad two or three Intruders - the last/best was really decked out, I think this is the one that weighed 98 oz.  STILL have not been able to find any pix!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 02:35:38 AM »
Dennis, to your Reply #7:

I didn't see the photo date. You got it? Sounds good to me!

Had a chat with Ron Adams many years ago on either ModelNet or AMA's long-gone website. Interesting! I have a copy of the mag article, in case you can't locate one...

\BEST\LOU

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 04:21:07 AM »
I have the Woodpecker (Italian light plane) plans by Frank Warburton.  There was also Ron Young's "Bellanca Viking" which Tom Nieburh makes a fabulous laser cut short kit of.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 06:40:03 PM »
Lou:
If you open up the photo in the initial post - I was careful to include the pix printing date with the scan.  I was able to get a copy of the article from AMA Library.  I can also get plans if I tell them what size to make them.   I am not into monster stunt, so it might be fun t have the plans scaled - to say a 60" span and around 600 squares.

Another totally different approach: the fuselage is not really as big as it seems either, I think it is 4" dia and not all that long.  It might be fun to take the full size fuse, and mate it to a small low aspect ratio wing - maybe like a Cardinal. It would then have proportions more reminiscent of a jet.

72" span w/850 sq in & 80 oz?  That would even make the "76'ers" pale!  Yet Ron's flew well with a 45.  There must be something to the large span (span loading) and longish chord (Reynolds number) that made it fly better than it should have, but in the article even Ron suggests "more power" would be a good move.

Hmmm, there mught be enough bird there to really let a big engine pump some power!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here