News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:17:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Build of the DOLPHIN kit from Walter Umland  (Read 6816 times)

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Build of the DOLPHIN kit from Walter Umland
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:01:28 AM »
Build of the DOLPHIN kit from Walter Umland

This is a build of the Dolphin kit that was designed by Lew McFarland.
Those that have built a Walter Umland kit before know the quality and dedication that goes into each kit he produces. This one is no exception. For those of you that haven’t tried one of Walter’s kits, you are in for a rewarding experience of assembling a laser cut kit of the highest quality. This build is focused on the flyer that is moving up from profiles, to a full fuselage build for the first time. To quote Lew from a 1965 American Modeler magazine article, “Our control line stunt plane was designed to fill the gap between the deluxe jobs and the profiles and yet be capable of competing...There is a need for simplicity to enable those with a desire to move forward and show they can do Precision Aerobatics.”  So let’s open the box and take a look!

You’ll notice a “WELL PACKED” kit that includes pre-bent landing gear, rolled plans, tissue wrapped canopy, parts list and a copy of the magazine article.

Next are the laser cut kit parts and pre-shaped top block.

Now let’s clear the workbench, empty the trashcan from the last building session, and get busy! Be sure your bench is true & flat, have a fresh top sheet of whatever bench top cover you prefer. Mine is glass atop a large, metal office desk. Be sure to have plenty of light, ventilation, tools, various glues & epoxies, your favorite ‘tunes’ ready to play, and plenty of these…

Always use the X-acto or other quality knife as pictured. I have discovered that some have PLASTIC jaws instead of metal ones.

When removing or cutting a part from the master sheet, position your blade cut AWAY from the needed part.
This will keep any splits in the wood from damaging the desired part.

The first step in building the wing is to remove the trailing edges from the master sheet.

Notice the ‘laser break’ that holds the part to the master sheeting.

Once cut or snapped apart, the two sections can be lightly sanded and glued together.
Let your fingers do the ‘looking’ for any high spots after the light sand.

When all is smooth, test fit the parts and then glue together.

Tape down the plans to your smooth, flat, building surface and proceed to align and tape down the trailing edge on the plans. Take your favorite marking utensil to mark the rib positions. I normally use a SOFT lead mechanical pencil, but since I’m posting photos of the build, we’ll use a Sharpie. Just be mindful to keep all marks away from the exterior surfaces that will receive your choice of finishing.
Later in the build, I found it beneficial to extend the marks full length.

Next take the spars and leading edge and tape them together. Tape these down in front of the trailing edge and mark the rib positions. Mark the inboard and outboard ends of the spars and leading edge. I used an (I) and an (O).

Take your Zona saw (with new fine tooth blade) and cut the spars & leading edge to the proper length. Let the weight of the saw do the cutting. No heavy pressure is needed.

Glue the spar and leading edge sections together keeping all true and straight.

Now it’s time for a ‘rib’n’! The original DOLPHIN had the leading edge section double sheeted on the first two ribs (W1). Walter gives the option for this as noted on the plans and on the W1 ribs.

Cut out all the ribs and sand the laser breaks on both the inside cut-out holes and the outside perimeter of the ribs.

Slide each rib onto the bottom trailing edge section. Then, add the bottom and top spars.
This is a test fit and alignment check only. NO GLUE.

I ordered the controls from Tom Morris. Fast shipping & great service!

Walter has some great building tools available for sale on his website. The rib holders come in several sizes to fit the thickness of yours ribs and the alignment angles are ‘spot on’!

OK….No jokes about the yellow angle irons. The first set got used by mistake for another project, so I painted these yellow for ease of finding them in the garage.
The first picture has the leading edge in place, but still no glue. Start with the W1’s and glue your way towards the ends of the wing. Then go back and glue the spars and leading edge. Long reach sockets come in handy!

Since I live over 100 miles (round trip) from the nearest ‘Hobby Store’ I rely on what I can find at home or at ‘Wally World’. (Ours is so small, it’s not even a Super Store!)
To hold the wing flat on the building surface, I used, thick, metal wall shelving brackets.

Found a GREAT CA holder!

Next, I marked the W1 & W2 ribs for the top trailing edge sheeting by using a mechanical pencil, since this section would be visible. Good wood-to-wood joints are a must!

Here it is with the top trailing edge sheeting in place.

Next ‘borrow’ one of your Wife’s empty margarine tub lids to mix some epoxy on.
The epoxy won’t stick to the lid. Whittle down a pop-sicle stick, or ‘hobby stick’, as they’re called, to mix the epoxy. Epoxy in the top bell-crank mount, being sure to wipe off any excess from the top as this will be later covered by the center section sheeting.

Until next time...HAPPY EASTER & "Tight Lines!" H^^

Wes

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:17:46 PM by afml »
Wes Eakin

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Build of the DOLPHIN kit from Walter Umland
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 02:23:59 AM »
Hi Wes,

Looks like you will have a very nice Dolphin when you are done.Walter really makes a sweet kit doesn't he? ;D  We are lucky to have the caliber of kit makers that are serving us today, better than anything available in the "Golden Days"!

Keep the pictures coming.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »
My first stunter was a Jetco Dolphin.  I have been anxiously awaiting Walter's version - glad to see the proto underway.  Wes, you are off to a great start and am doing a great job with the pix.  Hope to see this one sitting on its feet soon...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline kenny stevens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 06:06:31 PM »
HI Wes    The pics look great and so does Walter's kit (as usual) . HEY TANKS FOR THE POPETS, they came in the mail today..  I ALSO got 2 Norvel 61's for little hackers. Your going to play aren't you?

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 06:32:14 PM »
Wes, your photography is superb. H^^
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »
Bill: Thanks for the complements!!

Dennis: I still have my 40+ year old Jetco DOLPHIN AND even a pic with Lew at a LMAC contest.

Kenny: YOU BETCA!!!

Milton: Many thanks! It's just a used $38 E-bay camera, but it does things simply and effectively.

Thanks again for the complements & encouragement Guys!
Please notify me by E-MAIL or personal message if there is any 'gray areas' I've neglected to identify or need to do differently. Thought I'd do the build focused on someone doing their first time, full bodied stunter.

Hope it helps! y1

HAPPY EASTER & "Tight Lines!" H^^

Wes
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:55:04 PM by afml »
Wes Eakin

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 12:39:41 AM »
Very nice Wes... superb step by step and pics. The Dolphin was my fathers trainer of choice. He flew his first stunt meet with it in '65 or 66. Lew was there, as was a young John Davis with his Shark. As labeled by Dad on those pics and also on 8mm film, there were some young Adamisins there that day. Dad mentioned a young guy there quizzing him about the model Denny. Just an interesting note! H^^

A few years later I took my first ride on a BIG 35 sized ship...and promptly turned that Dolphin to splinters. I cried like a baby. LL~

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 07:57:49 AM »
Very nice Wes... superb step by step and pics. The Dolphin was my fathers trainer of choice. He flew his first stunt meet with it in '65 or 66. Lew was there, as was a young John Davis with his Shark. As labeled by Dad on those pics and also on 8mm film, there were some young Adamisins there that day. Dad mentioned a young guy there quizzing him about the model Denny. Just an interesting note! H^^

. LL~

Yes John, that was me, I had my Dolphin in the build stage and your dad had his flying and ws kind enough to tolerate dumb questions from a 12 year old.  Mount Vernon OH meet, I'm thinking it was early 1966 because I remember it being a spring/early summer, and I later flew my Dolphin at the 1966 NATs.  Mine was eventually sold and hung in a hobby shop for a LONG time.  When the shop closed dad got it back and it is hanging in his basement now.  Its next time out will be when I pose it with the NEW version I get from Walter...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »
 Crying? Really?-----There's no crying in stunt!
(However, I have personally demonstrated "whining")

I built my Dolphin in a hotel room, Marysville California, 1968.
Totally cluless and happy as a clam, I loved that plane.
Stunt for me was so simple and fun back then!
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »

I built my Dolphin in a hotel room, Marysville California, 1968.
Totally clueless and happy as a clam, I loved that plane.
Stunt for me was so simple and fun back then!

Les, I just happen to live in Marysville, CA. Which hotel are you referring to? I could go put a plaque on the door that says "Les McDonald slept here". What the heck were you doing here in the first place? Nobody intentionally comes to Marysville. ???
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 02:35:13 PM »

Les, I just happen to live in Marysville, CA. Which hotel are you referring to? I could go put a plaque on the door that says "Les McDonald slept here". What the heck were you doing here in the first place? Nobody intentionally comes to Marysville. ???

Clint,
I just recall the hotel was in the middle of town with, I think, a poker room in back.
I was in the Air Force "attached" to Beale AFB but living as a civilian.
I loved the area---Reno, Tahoe, San Francisco, Clear Lake, the Pacific Coast and those amazing Redwood trees.
I was going to ask if you remembered the name of the hobby shop and then realized you weren't even born yet!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:50:42 PM by Les McDonald »
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 05:45:23 PM »
Wes,  thanks for a very detailed pictorial.   I may have to break down and get one.    I too had one when Charly's Hobby Shop got the first one in.   Not knowing any better mine came out heavy.   But, it would fly in any kind of wind with the Fox .35 Stunt I had in it.   It was a screaming engine for a stunt engine. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Damian_Sheehy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
Very nice post, Wes. I’m a beginner and proud owner of a Jetco Doplhin that I am flying to learn the pattern. I found the plane through an ad in a local newspaper and I reckon it’s been a hangar queen since the 70’s. I put an L&J Fox 35 in place of the existing Fox and I really like how it flies. The section appears to be a little thinner relative a Nobler, plus with the shorter flaps there’s not so much drag; my "souped up" Fox .35 feels like plenty of power.

Here’s the advertising blurb from the box:
The “Dolphin” fits a need. You’ll see them locally this year. They build up fast, cost is low, a rugged ship, graceful flyer. Look for them in the air, upside down, all over . . . while the others sit it out till the cement coagulates. The “Dolphin” is designed for action, intended to give you a machine suitable for endless practice, the balance to translate your commands into polished maneuvers. A big step-up from profiles and sport ships. A fully capable contest winner, stripped to the basics that matter. The right proportions, balance, control and power. Get out and really learn to fly, fairings? Later!

Well, that’s the stuff dreams are made of. I challenge any modern kit producer to write prose as beautiful as that.

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 07:28:35 PM »
Thanks Guys for the pics of your Dolphins! y1

My Jetco kit was purchased from Lew himself, while working at his X-Cell Models Hobby Shop on Euclid Ave. in Lexington, KY.
But that's another story...... ;D
I built it while a student at UK on the floor of my room in 1975. The plane still exists today!
Here's a pic of the Dolphin AND one of his Akromasters taken at the LMAC, Kearney Field outside Lexington.

"Tight Lines!" H^^

Wes

P.S.: Yea....The canopy is HUGE! The one in the kit wasn't in the best of shape, Sig was out of them at the time, and this was the smallest one Lew had on the shelf. That's my story & I'm stick'n to it! LL~ LL~
Wes Eakin

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 09:16:02 PM »
Les,

It's still can be simple and fun.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 11:21:22 PM »
Clint,
I just recall the hotel was in the middle of town with, I think, a poker room in back.
I loved the area---Reno, Tahoe, San Francisco, Clear Lake, the Pacific Coast and those amazing Redwood trees.
I was going to ask if you remembered the name of the hobby shop and then realized you weren't even born yet!

Les, you have a PM. H^^
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 10:49:21 PM »
Clint,

Thats quite a feat..built in a motel room! Nice work on the paint scheme Les. Was that on the box??

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »
In the past while working for Ma Bell I built several planes in motel rooms.   My boss at one time asked the maid if she noticed the dope fumes in my room.   He had to run her down and explain it was model plane paint that is called dope. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »
Thats quite a feat..built in a motel room! Nice work on the paint scheme Les. Was that on the box??

When you don't know any better it's easy----ignorance is bliss.
The graphics were inspired by Jim Kosteckys Talon

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 09:08:54 AM »
Les,
You haven't changed a bit! The wheel pants sure dress up the airplane.

AMA 7544

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 09:31:14 AM »
Les,
You haven't changed a bit! The wheel pants sure dress up the airplane.

Tom,
If you don't dress up the wheels and landing gear on a stunter people could mistake it for a plane from "The Dark Side" (RC)!!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »
Les,
You soooo correct.
I think a little cockpit detail is required too. I always looked forward to seeing the details that were in stunters. Paint just doesn't cut it.
AMA 7544

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »
Les,
You soooo correct.
I think a little cockpit detail is required too. I always looked forward to seeing the details that were in stunters. Paint just doesn't cut it.

Oh yeah, I forgot that part.
A master airbrush job on a solid canopy makes me sad.
Little figures and handmade dodads under a clear canopy make me happy.
Who ever started this "painted on canopy" thing anyway?

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 08:34:40 PM »
>>Who ever started this "painted on canopy" thing anyway?<<

I think it's all Bob Hunt's fault.    ;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 08:47:38 PM »

CLP** BW@ CLP** BW@   010!

Reading Lew McFarland's thoughts on the Poorboy & Dolphin designs, it was clear that these were intended to be no frills airplanes.  Yet he thought it prudent to equip them with clear canopy.

Now pardon me while I go look for some AMT hot rod car kits that I can rob of the chrome engine parts and chrome wheels.  Those look great sitting behind the pilot's seat next to the green dowel oxy tanks!

HEY WES, HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE???
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 02:28:56 AM »
It was an RC  Pattern conspiracy. mw~

Online Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »
Bob Reeves help me build a DOLPHIN back in the 70s it was my first full built up stunt plane i think i named it ugly 4 ever thing i built was ugly lol. I think Bob has pics of it somewhere.
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »
Hey, Wes!

How's it going with the build?  Some more pictures are needed!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »
Hey Bill,

Sorry....Having way too much fun building the Dolphin! y1
Gotta stop building and download some pics and then write the descriptors to go with them.
Will try my best to STOP BUILDING!   

Yea right! LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Will have some pics soon....I promise.....

"Tight Lines!" H^^

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 11:35:21 PM »
Assemble the belcrank mounting hardware as instructed by Tom Morris.

Set the completed unit in place and mark the ends of the post so it will sit flush with the top of the plywood mounting plates.

Test for clearance. During which I discovered the ability of the back lead-out wrapping to ‘catch’ on a rib.

The conditions at our flying field are sometimes LESS than ideal. Fast forward to a ‘slack line’ situation, and then discover when line tension returns, the controls were not responding as before. The fix was to open up the rib opening a bit for ‘just in case’. Wrapping sandpaper around the case of a ¼” phone jack gave the needed diameter to get the job done.

While on the subject of sandpaper, here a few items you should have at your disposal:

Take out the 4” wide leading edge sheeting and lay it on the plans at the center line and marking the rib that will be hidden from view when the sheeting begins.

Next test fit it on the wing and mark the length at the wing tip. Be sure to leave a little extra.

Remove the ‘jig feet’ from the bottom of the ribs and sand lightly. Tear off 18 pieces of masking tape and line them up at the edge of your workbench. Mix up an ammonia/water solution to ease the wood fibers around the front of the ribs. Locate a clean rag or clean old white sock in which to apply the solution. Apply glue to the spar, ribs, and leading edge. Tape down the sheeting even with the edge of the spar and apply the ammonia/water solution sparingly.

Rub your fingers along the rib tops to firmly adhere the sheeting leaving no gaps.

Do the same to the bottom side. Make sure to get a good glue joint along the tops of the ribs.

Now repeat the same procedure on the other half of the wing.

Set the wing aside to dry with weights along the trailing edge. Be sure to weigh down the wing trailing edge each evening or when you end the building session to prevent warps. Locate and cut out and lightly sand the edges of the tail section, weight box, lead-out guide, wing tips & braces.

Each wing tip has a 3/16” center section and 1/16” sheeting on both sides. Here they are with the bottom sheeting and center section installed.

The inboard tip has a slot for the lead-outs to exit and the opening is faced with thin ply.

Locate, cut out, and assemble the weight box.

To make the task of putting the lid back on the weight box easier, glue a short piece of brass tubing to the inside of the box.

Mark the rib for the weight box location. I recessed mine a bit so I can add a balsa top to ease in the finishing process.

To be sure the box stays in its assembled location; add a few braces to the front and rib side.

If you have difficulty removing the tape, slowly heat it with a hair dryer. NOT a heat gun!
This way it will not damage the balsa beneath. Always pull the tape back on itself.

Before ‘boxing-in’ the wing, the hinge anchors need to be fabricated from scrap ¼” balsa.
Bevel the edge to fit inside the trailing edge without bowing the sheeting. Instead of measuring each of these one at a time, mark the miter box with the desired length. Place the balsa in the miter box to the measured mark and cut with a Zona Saw.

Mark the INSIDE of the trailing edge for the hinge anchor location making sure to glue against the rib.

Locate, cut out and lightly sand the sheer webbing for both behind the spar and INSIDE the trailing edge. All are number accordingly. Walter thinks of everything!!

When using CA, a pipette with a short length of tubing at the end is handy. When you see a small puddle of CA on your work, wipe quickly with a rag or the other clean white sock, to avoid gluing things together that shouldn’t be!

Notice the wing tips have markings where the trailing edge sheeting and braces are to go. Place the tip on a flat surface and mark a center line so you know where to evenly bevel sand the tip that goes between the trailing edge sheeting. Mark end rib for gluing guide and glue. Be sure to keep it square with the rib. Attach a balsa scrap for the leading edge transition.

Locate the ¼”X 5/16” balsa trailing edge and cut to the proper length between the wing center line and the wing tip. Apply glue and tape in place. The key to any wood joint is a good fit. Glue alone doesn’t have the strength to provide the needed support. If done properly, it would be difficult to determine where the trailing edge sheeting stops and the trailing edge begins.

Before the center wing sheeting can be applied, a push rod exit hole needs to be made. Cut a slot for the flap horn bearings in the trailing edge. Be sure to make a straight cut in the ‘center’ of the trailing edge. Using one of the many cutting guides and accessories on the market helps. This one has instructions AND PICTURES! Temporarily assemble the pushrod to the flap horn to determine the location of the pushrod exit hole. Lube the belcrank on the post before gluing the center sheeting in place.

Sand all tip edges and round off the leading edge. Set aside and weigh down the trailing edge.

Wes Eakin

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2012, 06:51:11 PM »
WELCOME BACK WES!

Good to see you back on the build.  That has to be one of the BEST Dolphin wings ever built - kudoes to you and Walter!   CLP** BW@
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »
Thank you Dennis for your kind words & encouragement.

Ya mak'n me blush!  b1

"Tight Lines!" H^^

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Russ Danneman

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 10:23:20 AM »
FANTASTIC BUILD AND PIX H^^ rd
FLY LOW FLY FAST  RISKY BUSINESS

Advertise Here