News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:23:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Thunderbird Mark 1  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Aaron Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Brodak Thunderbird Mark 1
« on: November 21, 2010, 05:36:52 PM »
Well I post this with mixed emotion.
This kit was given to me by Willis Swindell at a King Orange a few years back.
I had built it but not gotten a chance to fly it until today.
I was really wanting to take it to KOI in a few weeks but sadly it won't be going.
We have a really bad wing warp that neither dad nor I think can be trimmed out.
Another interesting note is that the silkspan busted a lot, I had 2 holes in it before I got to the field and another showed up after flying the first time.

Anyway figured I would share a picture.
It was built straight from the Brodak Kit.
Using a Big Art OS35s
I also liked the Pilot a lot, dad made it for me with a John Deere hat and all!

Offline Alan Hayes

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: Brodak Thunderbird Mark 1
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »
Plane looks good! Sorry things did not turn out well.  I know the kit has some sentimental value to you.  Keep working at it and maybe you can get it trimmed. 

It is unusual that your covering is having problems.

Alan
AMA 7064

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have" ~ Vince Lombardi

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 06:46:31 PM »
Plane looks good! Sorry things did not turn out well.  I know the kit has some sentimental value to you.  Keep working at it and maybe you can get it trimmed. 

It is unusual that your covering is having problems.

Alan

Yeah I have read somewhere that some others had some silkspan problems.
I am almost 100% sure we used the stuff that came with the Brodak kit, perhaps it was just not that good?

Anyway, I wish it would have worked but right now we just don't have the time to mess with it and try to trim it etc, time to fly is tight so any that we do get needs to be used well!
BTW when are we going to get together and fly some more :)

Aaron

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 08:36:15 PM »
The plane really looked nice, and I wish it had been good to go.

The problem with the wing is an almost span long twist of the rear of the wing.  It took some looking at odd angles to see the problem.  On the first flight, the wing tip was about three inches high, and it almost fell in on him in a loop, never got it inverted.  A flap tweak and some more wing tip weight made it good enough for Aaron to get it inverted.  The outboard tip was high upright, low inverted.  I have no clue as to how the twist/warp got in there, Aaron used a flat table that many wings have come off of.  The major problem right now is that the whole wing needs to be recovered!  The silkspan is hopeless, it just splits if you look at it.  And there was plasticizers in the dope.

Later, we will cut off the covering, strip the wing to bare wood, steam out the twist/warp and recover.  No time right now!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:33:02 PM »
Thats a really great looking model Aaron!  I know Willis would be delighted to see it completed.
Just out of curiousity, what was the finish on the model?  All dope?

I know stripping the silkspan off the wings and tail would be a horrendous pain, but it might be worth it to try it sometime and see if the plane can indeed be fixed.
Steve

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 06:35:09 PM »
Thats a really great looking model Aaron!  I know Willis would be delighted to see it completed.
Just out of curiousity, what was the finish on the model?  All dope?

I know stripping the silkspan off the wings and tail would be a horrendous pain, but it might be worth it to try it sometime and see if the plane can indeed be fixed.

Yeah it was dope and some type of laquer.
I had patched it about 4 maybe 5 times from the first time I covered it.
The last patch coming as tape at the field after the first flight.

We are thinking about doing something like that at some point but it is going to be a while I just don't have a lot of extra time so I try to use it as best I can :)

Aaron

Offline Alan Hayes

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 06:10:06 PM »
Aaron........it would be nice to fly some.  I could use some coaching and trimming advice.   H^^

Maybe will let "Bill" fly with us too!   LL~

One day!

Alan
AMA 7064

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have" ~ Vince Lombardi

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 10:07:18 AM »
Alan you are so in for it now.  The coach will probably make you do laps or sit ups. LL~ LL~

Aaron,  I do hope you strip the wings and recover it just in honor for Willis.  Use the tea kettle and steam the wing to get the warp out.  I know you will think this is heresy, but get some SLC iron on covering from the Core house and cover the wing.  Use a foam scouring pad and scrub the SLC until it is dull.  Don't use water.  Use it dry. Prime the wing and a light sanding.  Then the color and graphics.  Top coat of clear.  You will need fewer coats to finish.  I do love the looks of the plane. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
 That's a really nice clean looking T-Bird Aaron. It'll take some work, but it sounds like you can fix it. As a suggestion, it would really be worth your time to get the hang of using Polyspan. It's a little tricky to get used to at first, but it's LOT tougher than silkspan and is really not any heavier. Covered with it your models will hold up over time and mileage much much better.

There are some good Polyspan tips and suggestions right here:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=19407.0
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 03:34:04 PM »
looks nice , did you use butrate dope ? gasses of for centries .

A few planks and bricks help.But it normally comes back for the first few years .
Then suddenly one day it stays straight . I block & pack to twist wing severly opposite.
QUITELY as in dont force it, applied slowly theyll tist a fair way , 7 leave for a week + .

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 04:09:42 PM »
looks nice , did you use butrate dope ? gasses of for centries .

A few planks and bricks help.But it normally comes back for the first few years .
Then suddenly one day it stays straight . I block & pack to twist wing severly opposite.
QUITELY as in dont force it, applied slowly theyll tist a fair way , 7 leave for a week + .

This model was built and finished at least 2 maybe even three years ago.
I am afraid that what is done is done, and it will require some "surgery" in order to get it fixed.
I am also pretty sure it is dope substrate then from paper on it is dupli-color rattle cans.
We have used this many times before who knows what happened for sure.

Offline Aaron Little

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
That's a really nice clean looking T-Bird Aaron. It'll take some work, but it sounds like you can fix it. As a suggestion, it would really be worth your time to get the hang of using Polyspan. It's a little tricky to get used to at first, but it's LOT tougher than silkspan and is really not any heavier. Covered with it your models will hold up over time and mileage much much better.

There are some good Polyspan tips and suggestions right here:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=19407.0

Hello, we have used polyspan many times, I used it on my Geo Bolt (Geo XL with P47 wing) that we finished I think for 2003 or maybe 2004.
I also used it when I recoverd my 59 Ares.
Dad and I have discussed this a few times and we are going to be using Polyspan from here out.
I think at the time the idea was just to use the kit as it came.

That polyspan is pretty darn good stuff, it will rip but not like this silkspan did.

Either way I didn't break it up and throw it away, I just decided that for now I will keep it in one piece and when time permits get it out and work on it.

As a side note, I had wanted to put some green on it as well so if a re-finish is due I may be bringing the green out as well :)

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 12:33:14 AM »
As a side note, I had wanted to put some green on it as well so if a re-finish is due I may be bringing the green out as well :)

Yep, gotta have some green to match the John Deere ball cap the pilot is wearing!  It was the devil to paint that little yellow deer on the front of that little cap! LL~ LL~

It will get fixed.

"Dad"
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 10:24:10 AM »
ACETONE and paper towels and you can strip that model in no time. Soak a towel with the acetone and rub it on. The finish will come right off. Keep at it. You will be back to bare wood in no time. It will not hurt the plane because acetone evaporates very quickly. WARNING Acetone will ignite very easily so be careful. The fumes are not all that bad but a mask will filter them out if you wish. Good Luck
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 07:00:14 PM »
Jasco stripper works pretty well too. I stripped a plane down to bare wood in an afternoon. Left the surface dry, too.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 12:41:51 PM »
Now it seems that #1 son would like for me to get out the Dremel and timing wheel............ !

Can be done.......... ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »
You have seen my nightmare with the Sea Vixen. Today's silkspan is even worse than we thought. The polyspan worked out real well. Even the tips can be done in one piece. I use an iron on the tips and do it slow.
AMA 7544

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 05:20:36 PM »
Randy Ryan showed a plane a while back that he used Dad's Stripper on. It cleaned it right down to the wood really nice. I sure would give it a try.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 05:24:28 PM »
Randy Ryan showed a plane a while back that he used Dad's Stripper on. It cleaned it right down to the wood really nice. I sure would give it a try.

Hi Jim,

I told Randy about it.................  :o LL~ LL~

Aaron actually bought the first I had seen at Wally World and brought it to my bench to re-do his Ares.  Worked perfectly!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 05:46:45 PM »
Hey Bill; So you guys already know about that stuff. I am going to have to try it one of these days on a my old Viking that has a warp and bad silkspan on it. I am kind of wondering after hearing Aaron's problem, if it just might be the silkspan that is shrinking weird and causing the warp and breaks both. My Viking seems to split the span every time I fly it in cool weather. It seems ok when it is above 75 degrees.

I like green on my planes also. I just bought a qt. of bright green Sig dope at the hobby shop that had been sitting on the shelf for a few years. He sold it to me for $10.95. You just can't pass up bargains like that. Sooo! I will probably have a lot of planes with at least green trim.  LL~ Great looking T-Bird by the way.

Jim Kraft

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 12:42:48 AM »
Great looking T-Bird , agreed . indeed .

Mine had a mind of its own too , alignment wise .
Finally settled and sombody used a forkhoist to assult it .

Might Jig build the wing on the next .    H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 12:53:41 AM »
Great looking T-Bird , agreed . indeed .

Mine had a mind of its own too , alignment wise .
Finally settled and sombody used a forkhoist to assult it .

Might Jig build the wing on the next .    H^^

HI Matthew,

Aaron built the wing per the instructions which used balsa scraps here and there to block things up level, and pin everything to the table.  Several models built on the same table with same method and came out straight.  This one seemed to suffer from the covering adding a twist.  The outboard tip turned down a slight bit from the end of the flap on out.  Neither of us saw that before it was covered and painted, and we looked hard..

It will get fixed.  Next time, SLC will go over the open bays with a covering of silkspan over that.  His Oriental in undergoing an engine swap right now.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 08:05:45 PM »
I had a Tbird in ancient times with a bad warp. I had to slit the planking and one spar to correct it. It did work.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »
I had a Tbird in ancient times with a bad warp. I had to slit the planking and one spar to correct it. It did work.

Thanks, Phil.

Steaming the wing should take care of it.  Just no time lately to work on that model.  We have since cut up the nose of his Oriental and put a new engine in it.  it's working much better now, so Classic/Nos. 30 is covered for now.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here