News:

• May 10, 2024, 08:00:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best way to cover a I-beamer.  (Read 2637 times)

Offline dankar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Best way to cover a I-beamer.
« on: May 23, 2008, 04:38:08 AM »
I had a Controline classic's Ares years ago and first attempt was using heavy silkspand. I rushed it and silkpand just peeled away from fuse. I did latter use coverite and worked well. CLC kits had heavy wood as kits were made by Bridi RC kit fame. I sold the plane as it was getting heavy. I plan on using polyspan instead of fragile silkpand. There is only small area to attach covering at widest part of wing. Any input will be helpful.
Thanks,Dan

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Best way to cover a I-beamer.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 06:29:28 AM »
Dan,

I used Medium Silk Span on both my "Argus" 10 years ago, and the "Sea Vixen" that I am currently working on. This avoids any potential problems with wing tips that might occur with polyspan. It fills fast also.

"Sanding" over the ribs is best done with 000 or 0000 steel wool. Do it lightly!

The "Argus" pictures made me lose 50 lbs!
AMA 7544

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 09:32:59 AM »
I had a Controline classic's Ares years ago and first attempt was using heavy silkspand. I rushed it and silkpand just peeled away from fuse. I did latter use coverite and worked well. CLC kits had heavy wood as kits were made by Bridi RC kit fame. I sold the plane as it was getting heavy. I plan on using polyspan instead of fragile silkpand. There is only small area to attach covering at widest part of wing. Any input will be helpful.
Thanks,Dan

Call Whitely, follow his directions exactly.
Chris...

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 05:49:30 AM »
Dankar  You said the silkspan came off. That is a classic case of not enough dope on the frame for the span to bond to. Also you need thin dope to tack down the span. It needs to go through the span and soften the dope below. As Ty said silk works the best as the dope goes through it fast. I have had the same problem using jap tissue as it does not let the dope go through it.I now put jap tissue on with thinner.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 05:57:23 AM »
Dan:
I post a similar question awhile back - got lots of responses from people who were very successful with beamers.  The topic was called "30 coats of paint?" use the search window (near the upper right of the forum page) to find it, or I THINK this link will take you there...

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=7391.0

As for my beamer - I took the lazy man's way out..!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
I might have misunderstood part of the question, but NEVER use polyspan on the fuselage of a stunt plane.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 04:30:34 PM »
Thanks guy's I see what I did wrong. Future plans are Ballerina 111/ Argus.
Dan

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 04:18:48 AM »
I have roll of carbon vail for the fuse. Plus tree yards of silk.
Dan

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 12:10:17 PM »
What I have found highly amusing is the number of people who know more about I-Beamers than Billy Werwage does.  I mean he only built them for close to 50 years and won two World Championships with an I-Beam model.  But, hey, what does he know?????   S?P
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 03:20:45 PM »
Gee Bill, I see nobody challange Billy on I-beamers. Just some helpful info.
Dan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 04:12:04 PM »
Good point Bill!

I wish I had listened to Billy when I built my USA-1. It would probably still be flying.  b1
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 07:11:07 PM »
One thing I do on I-beamers is to glue a 1/2in wide strip of bond paper to the rib next to the fuselage.  This gives me enough area to attach the covering to.  Secondly, I double cover out two or three ribs.  Idea is to make the covering a little stronger near the fuselage where the stress riser is, and to make the wing center section a little more durable to handle. 

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 10:29:44 AM »
Recieved my Ballerina 111.  I had one before but sold it and soon regreted doinf so. Luckily found another and will build this one. To many Ares, nothing wrong but want something different. Plans are really very poor quality. Bad copy of a bad copy. Kit looks good.
Cheers,Dan

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 12:27:47 PM »
What I have found highly amusing is the number of people who know more about I-Beamers than Billy Werwage does.  I mean he only built them for close to 50 years and won two World Championships with an I-Beam model.  But, hey, what does he know?????   S?P

Geeze Bill,  Are you having a bad day?  I didn't see anyone put down Werwage or even damn him with faint praise.

I thought Ty's and others posts to be helpful and looking at his last post on the subject I hope you didn't scare him away.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 02:45:11 PM »
Many years ago Fred Carns asked me to send him all the pictures I had of I-beam's that I had built or describe them to him. He had heard I had built many and grew up in a area where they were common. He was doing a  award at VSC that year for those who had built a large amount of them since the 50's. I could not go to VSC for the award but when they added all the I-beam models up, I had built more than any of the others. That was not counting the hundreds of sheeted I-beam wings I built and sold in the late 70's. It was great to have so many people see the pictures of the models I built so many years ago. I was a prolific builder of I-beam models in the 50's but didn't enter many CL contest as FF was where my contest energy went.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 12:35:57 AM »
HI TY,
My kit is hand cut version. Wood looks very good.
Dan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 02:28:06 PM »
I have built three I-Beamers in the last years.  Two Jack Sheeks design and one by Rollie McDonald.  In fact Rollie sent me plans for his design in which one had regular rib(D-tube) construction.  Both of them are very great gentlemen.  Dankar, as stated already, make sure you have plenty of dope on the wood surfaces before attaching the covering.  Now for me I have quit using carbon fiber and stay with real light fiber glass for the fuse.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 03:04:29 PM »
Carbon veil is a pain if rushed. Might go for the lite glass cloth.
Dan

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 09:48:41 PM »
You are so right, but he never comes on here to give us any advise. I just pass on what I have  learned, the hard way, hoping to be of help, but....I have never, ever claimed to be an expert in building nor finishing nor anything about CLPA.  H^^  I guess I'll just stop it and wait for him or others to jump in here with all their expert advise.

Ty,

I didn't call you out, my reply simply came after yours.  You know me well enough that I would contact you PERSONALLY if I had anything to say to you.

My comment was ill timed, but it was aimed at no one in this thread. 

To the others, I have known Ty for a while now, and I wasn't referring to him.  He knows his way around a model plane be it a D-Tube, I-beam, or whatever.  He's been doing it for more years than many people on this board have been alive.  Plus he's an old Navy Chief, and it would take more than a comment from me to run him off.  Fi not, thing I don't know the Ty that is posting here.

So, no Tom, or Dan, I was not, nor I am I now having a bad day.  I read an see every post on this entire site as the main moderator.  I see people who read a *little*, or see something and think they know what it is, and become instant experts.  These are the ones who cause more trouble than good.
Everyone, understand: If I have a problem, I am in no way afraid to call out a name in a heartbeat.  So relax.

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here