News:

• May 02, 2024, 04:25:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best modern engine for Shark 45?  (Read 1874 times)

Online Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Best modern engine for Shark 45?
« on: March 06, 2007, 05:13:02 PM »
I am planning to tackle a Shark 45 from RSM soon for Classic. (Well what else?) The fairly obvious modern, readily available engines are the ST51 and LA46, plus 4-strokes like Saito 56/62. I have a ST51 in a 67-ounce Score, very similar in size to the Shark and it pulls well. Of course there are the cool $350 engines from PA and Rich Oliver, but without spending that kind of money what are good engine choices for this ship? Vintage ST46/60 are available (I don't own any) but a used one is kind of a pig in a poke.

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Best modern engine for Shark 45?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:34:07 PM »
Mike,
Since you have a ST51 I would go for it. I`ve had one in my Colossus for nine years. 700sqs. You`ll be happy with it.

Gordy

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 06:46:13 PM »
Too bad the Magnum 53 isn't available anymore. I loved the way that ran. Felt like an ST 60 in the plane. Sigh....

Gordy's right. The ST 51 is a great choice.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:34:20 PM »
Ditto ST G51!  Much, much more stunt grunt than the LA 46, without a doubt!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 06:32:14 AM »
Not just a ST G51 but a Tom Lay ST G51.  Yeah, that's one great engine.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:44:52 AM »
Stalker 51RE

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 12:31:21 PM »
Pat Johnston has been using a Stalker 51RE in his Mustang. It's a great engine, though I don't know if it falls into the inexpensive catagory at well over a $150.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 05:23:02 PM »
Just for the record I would regard a $150 engine as "inexpensive." I would dearly love one of the jewels from Randy Smith or Rich Oliver but my engine budget is overwhelmed by my kid's tuition budget, a tradeoff I am not one bit unhappy about but which limits my choices a bit. My ST51 was re-ringed by Frank Bowman and had the head/sleeve joint lapped or milled. It is a great powerplant for under $100, or $130 if you count the cost of the Randy Smith tube muffler. Stalker sounds interesting too. Did not know they could be had in that price range.

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 09:52:46 PM »
I have an RSM Shark .45 with a T&L ST .51 in it.  Every time I fly it in front of somone who hasn't seen it, they say wow what kind of engine do you have.  :o  Soooo, it looks like a match to me!

Jim Pollock  H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 07:51:24 AM »
I have an RSM Shark .45 with a T&L ST .51 in it.  Every time I fly it in front of somone who hasn't seen it, they say wow what kind of engine do you have.  :o  Soooo, it looks like a match to me!

Jim Pollock  H^^

I have seen Jim's Shark 45, the engine run is great!  Jim, did you get to see my USA-1 with the T&L ST G51?   AS good of engine runs as it gets!

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 11:28:05 PM »
This should maybe be in the "engines" category but what is a "T&L" engine? Is this a tuner other than Tom Lay? And, can somebody direct me to Tom Lay's contact info or a web site where he can be reached or his engines purchased?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 07:32:57 AM »
T&L= Tom Lay. ;D

Tom is a member here.  His ST G51 does run different from a *stock* one!  Unfortunately, I have not run a ST G51 from any other engine builder, so I can't do a comparo.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=365

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 09:02:50 PM »
Hi Bill,

I have flown several flights on the Leeward Air Ranch P-51 of Tom McClain's.  It too has an ST .51 powering it.  He did send it to Randy Smith for a tune up.  It's run is quite similar to a T&L but, not completely.  I never did get to see your USA-1 fly.  I'll bet it was a killer performer with that T&L in it!  If I ever get another van, I'll build one of them myself!  n~

Jim Pollock   H^^ 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 09:17:18 PM »
Hi Bill,

I have flown several flights on the Leeward Air Ranch P-51 of Tom McClain's.  It too has an ST .51 powering it.  He did send it to Randy Smith for a tune up.  It's run is quite similar to a T&L but, not completely.  I never did get to see your USA-1 fly.  I'll bet it was a killer performer with that T&L in it!  If I ever get another van, I'll build one of them myself!  n~

Jim Pollock   H^^ 

Hi Jim,

Mr. Werwage has suggested that a PA 51 might be the perfect fit for the USA-1.  So the next one will have that! ;D

I felt very proud of that plane when Derek said it was one of the very best planes he had ever flown.  That was after it was no longer mine.........

I loved it a lot, super easy to fly and gave a feeling of confidence when you flew it!

My ne T&L 51 will go into a .60 size F-4-F Wildcat that Pat Johnston designed for Bill Hummel, and he shrunk it just a touch just for the T&L 51 for me.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 08:40:40 AM »
I am planning to tackle a Shark 45 from RSM soon for Classic. (Well what else?) The fairly obvious modern, readily available engines are the ST51 and LA46, plus 4-strokes like Saito 56/62. I have a ST51 in a 67-ounce Score, very similar in size to the Shark and it pulls well. Of course there are the cool $350 engines from PA and Rich Oliver, but without spending that kind of money what are good engine choices for this ship? Vintage ST46/60 are available (I don't own any) but a used one is kind of a pig in a poke.

FWIW, I spoke with Lew about this plane, and mentioned that I had a Saito .56 that needed a good home. He suggested that this might be a great combo. Now all I need to do is finish 4 other projects and set up the Adjust-o-Jig again.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here