« on: October 02, 2006, 04:29:51 PM »
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Ares
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 06:25:57 AM »
A great looking plane!  The Ares is my all time sentimental favorite airplane.  y1

Gotta build me a new one, soon!  Just can't decide whether or not to do a '59 or a '62.  n~

I'm re-ribbing a '59 Ares and modifying it to use an OS 25 VF on pipe.  I am not looking to use it in Classic.

Great job on yours.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 09:12:09 PM »
Gotta build me a new one, soon!  Just can't decide whether or not to do a '59 or a '62.  n~

Bill <><

Bob,

That Ares is just superb!!!

Bill,

What are the major differences between the '59 and '62 versions of the Ares?

TIA

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 06:57:20 AM »
Bob,

That Ares is just superb!!!

Bill,

What are the major differences between the '59 and '62 versions of the Ares?

TIA

Warren Wagner

Hi Warren,

The '62 Ares is an enlarged version that still maintains the shapes and looks very well.  The airfoil on the '62 is fatter  which is the major "design" difference.   Over all it is basically an enlarged version with longer span, moments and such.  The airfoil change is most noticeable.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 12:02:40 PM »
The '62 Ares is an enlarged version that still maintains the shapes and looks very well.  The airfoil on the '62 is fatter  which is the major "design" difference.   Over all it is basically an enlarged version with longer span, moments and such.  The airfoil change is most noticeable.

Bill <><

I wonder which version Ambroid tried to kit?

Well, correction, they did kit the "Ares" and I actually built one. Unfortunately, I didn't know anything about I-beam wings and there was no one else around to help. Thus, my ribs were not securely glued to the I-beam. Needless to say, they came unglued during the first flight and I watched the wing shred itself to bits.  %^

I've never built another, but have several I-beam kits in the basement and have watched the Werwage video. At least I might be able to get a full flight out of my next one.  ~>

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 02:52:19 PM »
Thanks for the info, Ty. I got scared away from I-beams after that 1964 incident, even though some of my all time faves are I-beams.

I have the Brodak kit and will try to build it someday soon. I also have Walter's Cobra kit and will build it in honor of one of my mentors (and hero). I just have to suck it up and take a chance.  ~^ ~^

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 10:26:07 PM »
Thanks for the info, Ty. I got scared away from I-beams after that 1964 incident, even though some of my all time faves are I-beams.

I have the Brodak kit and will try to build it someday soon. I also have Walter's Cobra kit and will build it in honor of one of my mentors (and hero). I just have to suck it up and take a chance.  ~^ ~^

Ron

Hi Ron,

You can always do like Curt Wicker, Phillip Bailey, and Bobby Lampione and come down for a weekend and build an I-Beam!  The did USA-1s, had to cut all the parts, and left Sunday with at least a framed up wing and fuselage assembly!  With a kit, you will have a whole finished airframe, probably.  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 05:43:35 AM »
Hi Ron,

You can always do like Curt Wicker, Phillip Bailey, and Bobby Lampione and come down for a weekend and build an I-Beam!  The did USA-1s, had to cut all the parts, and left Sunday with at least a framed up wing and fuselage assembly!  With a kit, you will have a whole finished airframe, probably.  y1

Bill <><

You don't have to twist my arm to get me to visit. I've been trying for a couple of years with no luck.  ''

Unfortunately, our friendly government has "invited" me to start traveling again. %^ %^  This is somewhat shocking, since they haven't let me leave the country for a couple of years.

BTW - I talked to Kirk last week. He still has not finished his USA-1, but will not let me have it. He wouldn't let me have his PA engines, either. What a weenie.  f~

See you this weekend,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here