News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:16:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aquilla?  (Read 2210 times)

Willis Swindell

• Trade Count: (0)
Aquilla?
« on: July 09, 2007, 07:34:08 PM »
I remember seeing a beautiful airplane in the mid sixties around the Washington DC area called the aquallia, Aquela (spelling)? does any one know who flew it and were there any plans for it?
Willis ???

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Aquilla?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:38:54 PM »
I beleive there was and Aquila published in Flying models, as I recall it was primarily a medium blue with multicolored scallops on the wings and tail similar to the Juno. What I recall from the article is that it had a trick control system adjustment block on the pushrod for balancing the flap and elevator motion. Is this perhaps the plane you are thinking of. I may have a copy of the article around somewhere but would take some time to find. If you think this is it let me know unless someone else pipes in. seems it was published in the late 70s or early 80s
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 09:14:22 PM »
Mark,

the Aquilla you're talking about is a Bob McDonald design for the mid 70s. Bubble canopy, I-Beam design that is very, very cool. It did have an interesting adjustment block layout to adjust the flap tweak and pushrod length. I've built similar systems on occasion. There are ususally lateral stability problems with it that are tough to overcome.

But is is a beautiful design and I've often thought about building one. Or aleast steal the layout. Oh, wait. I have stolen the aesthetics a time or two.

I don't know of an Aquilla design from the mid-sixties. But there could certainly be one.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:30:55 PM »
Randy has it right.  Bob McDonald had his Aquila published in the April 1980 issue of Flying Models.  With this airplane, Bob was "Rookie of the Year" at the 1979 Nationals where he placed 18th in his first Open Nats competition.  This is an I-Beamer from the area that developed the I-Beam.  The photos in the construction article are worth the effort to get a copy of the magazine or at least the article.

Keith

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 10:37:17 PM »
Right era wrong location:  Don Bambrick of Detroit had a design he called Aquilla that preceded his Fury.  From early 1960's; classic styling, bubble canopy.  I believe the first ones were in bronze, then later ones in metallic black with turquoise & white trim.  Stunning finishes that Don was so good at.   No plans though, no pix that I can find either... 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 12:34:03 AM »
Dennis,

Not trying to argue.  I am familiar with several of Don Bambrick's airplanes when I was in Dayton during the early 70's.  If he had a model he called the Aquilla, it is unfortunate that there is not an article on it, at least I have nothing in my records that showed he published such a design or if there were any pictures published.

Nevertheless, Bob McDonald did have his Aquila (spelling from his article) published in Flying Models as explained above.  Bob's Aquila was (or is?) a very attractive model, finished to his normal high standard and was (or is?) a good performing ship.

If there was another design by this name or some derivative of it in or around DC anwhere in that era, there is nothing in the magazines (at least in my files) in terms of photos, articles, or stories.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 05:54:38 AM »
Keith: Nothing to argue over - please forgive me if I sounded that way.

Bob Mac's Aquila fits the description but not the time frame. He MIGHT have flown it at the meet in Winston-Salem around 1979 - but that is about as close to DC as he may have got.

I mentioned Don's Aquila because it fits the time frame (but not the location) and as you noted, nothing published.  Don's first NATs (& first national exposure) was in 1965 in Willow Grove - probably as close to DC as he may have got.  However, by then Don  was flying the Fury.  The real longshot is that he MIGHT have had the Aquilla along as a back-up and hence a sighting in the right time frame.  That's why I mentioned the colors, in case THAT range any bells...?

...and STILL cannot find any pix of any of these!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 12:31:49 PM »
Keith,

Yea, I have the magazine. Didn't look at the date until after I wrote that. Bob apparently started campaigning that plane in late 1978 or early 1979.

It is a pretty plane and Bob is a terrific builder.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Willis Swindell

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 09:16:35 AM »
I remember the plane being a dark metallic bronze or brown. I had a slide of it but I sent it to some one who was collecting pictures for a history of stunt. I remember this plane just standing out in a field of stunt ships, in the sixties that was a lot of planes.
Willis
In those days washington was a large contest probably a triple A. It had control line , free flight and RC.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 12:34:03 PM by Willis Swindell »

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 08:41:23 PM »
Willis:
I was at my Dad's this weekend looking thorough all the old pix I could find - but did not find any of Don Bambrick's Aquilla.  However, your description could fit Don's birds!

Don built two in Bronze (kind of a dark burn't orange hue, with the name an AMA in large letters.  Later he built two others in metallic black that is unlike any color I have seen before or since.  Like all of Don's airplanes they were immaculately finished.  I flew one of the black Aquillas once in the late 1960's - nice flying bird!

I'll keep looking for pix, & wish you could find your slide, I think we could ID it also from the AMA,  I believe his AMA was 12052...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Willis Swindell

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 07:03:52 PM »
 Now I remember, Wynn Paul is who I sent my slides too.
Willis

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 10:46:15 PM »
Hi Willis,

I launched Gary Tultz Aquilla I-Beamer today. Nice looking & flying classic.
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Willis Swindell

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 07:52:34 PM »
Patrick
I hope you took a picture?
Willis  y1

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 10:12:03 PM »
Hi Willis,

We were flying after the Skylarks of Sharons Profile contest. We put our profiles away & some people flew other planes they brought with them.

I did not get a photo of Gary's Aquilla. I did not know it was a rare plane.

Gary said it was similar to most of the Detroiter type designs.

I see Gary many times a year. He lives about 60 miles from me (Akron, OH).

I'll get some photos & more info.

I told Gary of this thread. He may show up yet.
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 08:11:56 PM »
Hi Willis,

I launched Gary Tultz Aquilla I-Beamer today. Nice looking & flying classic.

Hi Pat, I think the plane you launched was probaby Gary's Apollo. It was on the back cover of SN in 2000 or 2001. It was crashed back then  and recently rebuilt. Gary said it is an Eddie Kammerer design from around 1961. This is the plane that I posted a picture showing what appeared to be adjustable leadouts.
i
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 10:36:10 PM »
I remember the plane being a dark metallic bronze or brown. I had a slide of it but I sent it to some one who was collecting pictures for a history of stunt. I remember this plane just standing out in a field of stunt ships, in the sixties that was a lot of planes.
Willis
In those days washington was a large contest probably a triple A. It had control line , free flight and RC.

Willis: - is THIS your mystery bird?

Got the attached from Wynn Paul.  Don Bambrick built 4 Aquila's, two in bronze and two in metallic black, like the one in the pix.  NOTE Wynn's text cites Bob Dailey, but Don's Aquillaa's usd SHEETED wings (not I-Beams) However the styling is certainly reminiscent of the Detroit-Strathmoor/Ares/Argus school of thought!

Note the "piano" hinges on flaps and stab.  WAY cool stuff!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 11:28:39 PM »
Dennis,

That is a great picture. It really brings back the Detroiters. The paint layout and the hinges are also like Charlie Lickliter's beautiful "Ballerina III" that I saw at the 1961 Willow Grove Nats. I have always liked the look of that hinge line. Thanks.
AMA 7544

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 10:31:11 AM »

Willis,

Back in the mid-sixties, the big Washington contest was flown at Andrews AFB in August (after the Nats). It was a very large contest with entries from the entire eastern half of the country. I flew there in 1965, 66, and 67.

After I left the area in 1970, I think the contest moved to Bolling AFB for a while. I came back in '72 and have been around here for much of the time since.

I hope this is the contest you are thinking of.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 11:52:48 AM »
I always have thought of Don as one of the best builders I ever saw. His planes were always as finely detailed. Look at the full cockpit finishing. My favorite "Don" detail was something I believe was on one of his last Fury's. It was from the panel and rivet era and people had gotten pretty fussy and would scan your plane at very close range. Don had a great sense of humor and so in the smallest Letra-set letters he put the following just below the fillet on the underside of the stab: " If you can read this, you are looking to damned close". Thanks Don...........

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 06:41:18 PM »
Hi Pat, I think the plane you launched was probaby Gary's Apollo. It was on the back cover of SN in 2000 or 2001. It was crashed back then  and recently rebuilt. Gary said it is an Eddie Kammerer design from around 1961. This is the plane that I posted a picture showing what appeared to be adjustable leadouts.
i

I thought the picture looked a lot like one I took at the '65 Nats.  Upon reading the second picture of the caption I realized it was my picture.  This model had beautiful dark chocolate brown with gold metalic in the paint and powder blue trim.  An unusual combination but very striking.  I and several others watching Don's flights at the '65 Nats thought that he flew closest to a true 45 degree rule book pattern of any of the top flyers.  The judges gave more points to larger smoother maneuvers however.  The model was truely flawless in appearance and finish.  The piano type hinges were superbly done.

Jim Rhoades

Willis Swindell

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 07:05:49 PM »
That's the one, you described it perfectly Brown or Bronze with gold metal flake. The finish would take your breath away.
Willis  y1 H^^

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 07:08:37 PM »
Great pix, THANK YOU JIM!  H^^  Any chance you have any others?

I got this copy and the text block from Wynn Paul - BIG thanks to Wynn too.  CLP**

For the base color Don started with Black, then heavily metal-flaked it.  Like you said, most times it looked deep brown but the light would catch it and it would show gold or even gold-green.  It was the darndest color I have ever seen.  The only time it looked black was out of direct or bright light.

Don's later Fury design was published but not the Aquila.  Doubt we could ever find plans or even a lot of good pix.  I'd be tempted to do an "eyeball" reproduction of it based on Fury numbers (pretty sure the wing was the same), but that would be stretching the Classic intent a little too much!  Too bad...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 07:31:28 PM »
Wynn also sent this pix.  I did not post it at first because it is less clear, but you can get a good planview of the bird.

Wonder what ever happend to the guy with the red Nobler???  LL~ ??? ;D

My dad has a set of plans for Fred Bachl's Osiris shown in the right side of the pix.  We are feverishly searching for them - now THAT would make a great classic bird!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 11:09:42 PM »
Great pix, THANK YOU JIM!  H^^  Any chance you have any others?

I got this copy and the text block from Wynn Paul - BIG thanks to Wynn too.  CLP**

For the base color Don started with Black, then heavily metal-flaked it.  Like you said, most times it looked deep brown but the light would catch it and it would show gold or even gold-green.  It was the darndest color I have ever seen.  The only time it looked black was out of direct or bright light.

Don's later Fury design was published but not the Aquila.  Doubt we could ever find plans or even a lot of good pix.  I'd be tempted to do an "eyeball" reproduction of it based on Fury numbers (pretty sure the wing was the same), but that would be stretching the Classic intent a little too much!  Too bad...

[/quote

Dennis,

That was the only picture I took of the Aquilla.  It sure looked like a dark chocolate brown with gold metalic flakes to me.  Maybe it was the gold flakes that gave the brown cast.  At any rate it was quite a beautiful finish.

I just recently put my old slides on to a CD.  It's nice to be able to view them on the computer.  All of my slides of stunters were sent to Wynn some years ago to copy.

Jim Rhoades

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here