News:

• April 28, 2024, 10:37:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Almost finished Olympic  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Almost finished Olympic
« on: January 22, 2010, 01:54:08 PM »
Since VSC is just around the corner, here's this years entry before covering and painting. Hopefully I will be able to post a pic of the completed A/C in a week or two. Details: Brodak Olympic, Magnum .36 power (Randy Smith mods), L/G from Vector (still Classic legal), weight w/out paint .36 ounces.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Almost finished Olympic
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 02:43:16 PM »
Oh YEAHHHH! Looking good Pete.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 03:01:50 PM »
Pete

Looks nice. Glad to see you are doing the fuse gear. I am doing an olympic also using fuse gear. Glad he did it both ways. Mine is electric power with a Turnigy 3542 motor on 4S, Hubin timer, & phoenix 45 speed control. Did you do the wheel pants? If so could you post a pic of them?

Your power plant should be outstanding in the plane as well.

bob branch

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:09:55 PM »
Since VSC is just around the corner, here's this years entry before covering and painting. Hopefully I will be able to post a pic of the completed A/C in a week or two. Details: Brodak Olympic, Magnum .36 power (Randy Smith mods), L/G from Vector (still Classic legal), weight w/out paint .36 ounces.  8)

Pete,

Nice plane, what kind of muffler do you have mounted?

James
AMA 491167

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 04:11:06 PM »
Looks good Pete!!!!  That plane going to VSC?
Matt Colan

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »
Thanks all for the kind comments. Here's another pic that shows the wheel pants, straight from the kit. Muffler is a Ro-Jett unit that I found in a hobby shop in Sacramento...SCORE! VSC in March is the goal, now if it would only stop snowing!  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 06:28:31 PM »
Vector gear, huh? I'm gonna protest you, you sneaky SOB. Think of the unfair advantage that Vector gear will give!

My OWN Brodak Olympic is a little farther along. Started in 2005 and kind of pushed aside till recently. Is now in white with red trim, as close to Gialdini's original as I could get. I am only waiting (it may be a LONG wait) for some dry weather so I can shoot the clear. All Sig and Brodak dope. Knowing you, you will certainly beat me in the race to get one in the air. MINE has the proper landing gear. Sniff.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 07:45:37 PM »
Now Mike, not to start a controversy but according to the "approved" Brodak plans, it is legal with either fuselage or wing gear. I guess they were flown both ways back in the day. I went with the fuse gear because of the rough flying circles that seem to be endemic around here.  BTW: I included my pet "Gila Monster" in the pic for your benefit. He is in charge of shop security.  Looking forward to seeing your Olympic as well.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 08:42:09 PM »
Pete, I hope you do get it finished & tested in time for VSC-22.  I had a phone call the other night from Bob Gialdini.  He's going to try his best to be there this year.  I'm sure he'd love to see this one!
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »
Pete, I'm just jealous cos I know yours will be prettier than mine! And I do know the fuse gear is legit, so forget about the protest. But just so you don't get too overconfident, I ripped the Vector gear clean off my Vector when I hit a sprinkler head landing in rough grass, and that was after I beefed the bejeezus out of it during construction, expecting this kind of thing. I still would (and did) build the Olympic with the inward-canted wing gear because that is how I have always seen and pictured this model, since learning of it so many years ago. If Gialdini is a "maybe" at VSC I better get mine finshed!

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 08:05:34 AM »
Actually Mike, I'm a little nervous about using the Vector gear as the plane it was once attached to didn't last too long - not the planes fault and hopefully there won't be any residual bad mojo. I think you should bring yours to VSC. If Mr. Gialdini is going to be there it will be a good year to fly an Olympic. Looking forward to seeing your Shark 45 w/ the Enya 61 also. I have one of those planned as well.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 01:09:22 PM »
Rub that 'ol Vector gear with some John the Conqueroo and all the bad mojo will be washed away. So long as you got a mojo hand...

Liked the Gila monster! My own shop security is a little plastic 'gator who watches over everything from on top of the rollaround tool chest.

The Enya-fied Shark will have to wait until later this year, but it is next in line to be built after completing the E-China Clipper (renamed the California Zephyr) and of course the Olympic. That should be one potent combination, something Lew could barely have imagined in 1961.

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 08:56:36 PM »
I'll bet Bob would be highly gratified if someone also showed up with a copy of his Stingray!

Jim Pollock  #^  Jumping for joy....

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 09:55:57 PM »
Rub that 'ol Vector gear with some John the Conqueroo and all the bad mojo will be washed away. So long as you got a mojo hand...

Technology employed to good effect by the Jive Combat Team.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 11:12:15 AM »
The Olympic I had was box stock Brodak kit.  I had a second gear set for grass and one for pavement with wheel pants.  Dic not know about the fuse mounted gear.  Yours is looking good.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »
Pete,   has your Olympic got a built up tail like the original plans? If so, how do you build it straight? its all tiny ribs, tapered to nothing, between a chunky L/E and T/E and sheeted between the those!

Cheers      Neville
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:57:28 PM by Neville Legg »
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 02:57:05 PM »
Pete,

I look forward to seeing it at VSC. Olympics are just cool.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »
Thanks Randy, I agree. As far as the horizontal stab and elavators go, the Brodak kit plans show them as solid but give one the option of cutting out the center and adding ribs for a built up effect. The supplied wood was very light (hooray) and so I opted to sand to an airfoil shape then not hollow out. With the light wood used I don't know how much weight I would have saved if I had hollowed them out then added the ribs. Balance seems OK so far.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 07:01:00 AM »
I also have an Olympic on the building board.  Have a question about a possible mod I am contemplating.  I am thinking about moving the canopy aft about 2" and make it removable.  That would put it right over the flap horn, which would allow access to horn.  Question is would it still be classic legal with that mod ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 07:29:27 AM »
Allen,

I think the correct answer to the question about moving the canopy rearward is:  It Depends!

It actually would depend on the contest director giving the go ahead.  If that were the only modification and I were the contest director, I would allow it because the event is described as a "fun" event.  There is nothing in the rules saying that you cannot show up at a classic event and call you Impact a "Nobler".  Well, that's enough on that from me anyway.  Other opinions will vary, I'm sure!   S?P

Jim Pollock, not a stick in the mud.....I think.... ???

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here