News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:18:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: All American Senior  (Read 2859 times)

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
All American Senior
« on: February 09, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »
Anybody have one of the All American Seniors? 

How does she fly and what power do you use?

Thinking of picking one up.

I am reading here about folks with 50 kits on their shelves...I am up to about 20 and I just came back into this about three months ago.

Just glad to be here

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: All American Senior
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
Anybody have one of the All American Seniors?  Yep!
How does she fly and what power do you use? Flys GREAT! OS 35S
Thinking of picking one up.
I am reading here about folks with 50 kits on their shelves...I am up to about 20 and I just came back into this about three months ago.
Mine is even painted red, white & blue!
"Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:32:28 PM »
continue at the current rate you will have 50 kits before the summer.
Joe Daly

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:31:32 AM »
I still have mine that has  been flown at VSC.  Even made a wheeled landing on one flight.   About had to change my shorts when I did that one.  Also takes off need to lead plane with absolutely no  up or down on take off.   Great flying once airborne.   Fox .35 Stunt for power.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:29:04 PM »
Hi David,

Mine flies really good, but take offs can be hairy for me!  The first time, I turned my back to the model and began to run as soon as it was released.  It got tension in about 1/2 a lap!

The model has a 3" longer inboard wing which can cause squirrley take offs.  My son's only flight broke the prop and knocked off the LG.  Fixed in a couple minutes.

Once in the air it flies like most unflapped OTS models.

BIG Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline donald raab

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 01:51:20 AM »
Have had one since 94.  raked the leadouts some and a hair of out thrust.  No problems taking off and landing.  I have a Johnson 35 with a tongue muffler on pressure.  Flies reasonably slow and fun.  Flew a lot of NJ meets with it.  Never came in last.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 02:29:22 AM »
I had one at the first VSC, in Whittier Narrows, CA. We flew two circles, and my AA,Sr., was on one for first flight of Day 1. Strange coincidence...

Campaigned that model for a few years, and, yes, it is OT eligible, but can also be flown in Classic. After many flights as stock, flying left to right as we almost all do these days, I changed the Fox 35 to a left-hand shaft. LH props were more available then. Interesting experience!

1) Starting, on its wheels, had me punching the tarmac about every flip.
2) With the wrong-way engine, it did not need tipweight, or even a 'wart' on the outboard TE to fly level and behave on sharp turns.
3) The reverse rotation Fox 35 ran identically to the "right"-way version. ...and all that that implies.
4) As Doc mentioned, takeoffs and landings were a challenge.
     4.a) The wrong-way engine helped a lot, if not really enough. (The engine torque on the motor mounts tends to roll the model's inboard wing up for CW rotation and CCW flight. ...and down for CCW prop and flight direction... deBolt flew clockwise, so the basic torque effect did the same for him with a conventional CCW rotation engine.
     4.b) Gyro effects also reversed, so today's idea of UP line forward wasn't needed.
     4.c) Takeoff went well if you turned about 90° ahead of the model, arm extended to the full, and got ready to step back, away from it, at launch. Heck, YOU are flying it, and that means from release at launch to roll-out and stop!
     4.d) Landings, on pavement particularly, are not easy to 'nail.' Best I did was to whip, gently, until there wasn't enough airspeed to lift the model off a bounce, then try to touch the tail wheel (or skid) to the ground first. I got a decent, non-kangaroo, landing about one out of three or four that way.
5) Yes, the wing panel offset is too much. But, if you get decent airspeed, the lines help resist hinging (wingtips rolling sharply due to the greater lift on the inboard panel on sharp turns.)

And, yes, mine was blue LE, white spanwise stripe, and red TE, but not the white-star bedecked layout on the kit box.

BTW, built and flew a few AA, Srs., from dMECO kits, in the mid-1950s. Enjoyed those, and also the 1990's reliving of them. Back then, we used the VECO 35 (early version), which had very modest -almost shy- power, but tremendous fuel draw and manners. A really good Fox 35 has more power, and can offer at least as good 'manners.' My 1980's/90's AA Sr. was built from plans (copy of dMECO kit plans) I got from John Miske, who also wrote the first set of OT Stunt rules for the Garden State Circle Burners. Those were, and are, the basis of today's OTS rules...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 09:03:10 PM »
As mentioned, Takeoff should be in absolute Neutral, and you'll need to "lead" it a bit. Whatever you do, DON'T "yank" it off the ground.  Otherwise it may chase you.  Once in the air, performance is excellent.

Then comes the landing!

Those can be tough.  Don't let it become too slow.  Try to plant the main gear on the circle while holding a touch of "down" 'til it rolls to a stop.

(Either that, or contact Ted Fancher for advice.  His winning OTS flights with an AA Sr. at the first VSC in California were among the finest AA Sr. demonstrations I've ever seen.)
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 09:05:40 AM »
Yep, land it like an F2C racing plane.   When close to the ground and just above stalling speed down elevator and hold that down elevator.  It will not tip over.  Also keep leading the airplane until it quits rolling.  Takes practice.  A lot of practice.   better yet just fly over grass and problems are solved.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 01:42:15 PM »
I flew my newly-acquired All American Senior, yesterday. I rescued it from the hobby shop ceiling, before it fell into the wrong hands! Its senseless to allow a terrific plane like this, to become a mere decoration in somebody's collection!

This one, I did not build. It is constructed very well, however, as I was able to see inside the wing, slightly, due to the silkspan covering needing mended in several rib bays. What other colors than red, white and blue dope, could this airplane be finished? Nay, that is the ONLY option! Power is a "Big Art" O.S. .35 engine, with muffler; I began with an APC 11x5 propeller, but for subsequent flights, opted for a 10x5 of the same make. Seems ideal.

I had read near-horror stories of the take-off and landing issues with the All American Sr., but no such problems surfaced on any of the attempts that I made. Very deliberate use of down elevator is required in any outside maneuvers, as the plane seems happy to fly right-side-up, and to perform inside maneuvers, with ease.

I am going to maintain the airplane as it is, but it will eventually require new covering, because the brittleness of the silkspan and dope on it now, will give way, with active flying and handling. I will stay true to it's lineage, and make it red, white and blue, again, and not adorn it with my usual purple trim schemes. Here are a couple of pictures...
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here