News:

• April 28, 2024, 11:47:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airplane recommendation for Fox 19 Stunt?  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Ken Deboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Airplane recommendation for Fox 19 Stunt?
« on: May 09, 2007, 08:11:46 PM »
What would be a good airplane for this engine? It has a 3-bolt backplate and straight baffle on the piston. I was going to build a Hi Boy for it but after getting the plans it seems like to much airplane. What size airplane would be a good fit for this engine? Any classic designs suitable?

Thanks,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Airplane recommendation for Fox 19 Stunt?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 08:41:04 PM »
Veco Warrior! You know who would have plans? Might make it a little slimmer for the .19. Mine was from a kit, for a Fox .201 (really a .19) on Missle Mist, 10-3.5 TF prop and .010" x 60' solids. Build it very light, for your altitude. It would do vertical square 8's, hourglass, etc. It was a tad tailheavy, yuh understand...fun, tho.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 08:48:18 PM »
Ken,

My vote would go for the Jr. Nobler.  I believe that George specifically designed it for the Fox .19.
I know for a fact that a Veco .19 Series 100 or 200 would be somewhat overkill on power.  Well,
there are 56 ounces airplanes with .75's in them now so maybe not completely overkill.

Jim Pollock   :o

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:01:04 PM »
Ken,

My vote would go for the Jr. Nobler.  I believe that George specifically designed it for the Fox .19.
I know for a fact that a Veco .19 Series 100 or 200 would be somewhat overkill on power.  Well,
there are 56 ounces airplanes with .75's in them now so maybe not completely overkill.

Jim Pollock   :o

From what George told me in a phone conversation once, he designed the Jr. Nobler for the steel fin Fox .15.  He even went on about the steel fin doing a great 4-2 run!

The Fox 19 would work in the Jr. Nobler, but I'm not so sure it would be very easy to get enough fuel tank in it.

A light Lil' T-Bird would do fine with the Fox 19.  Todd Lee had a very good Fierce Arrow 400 with a Fox 19, also!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 11:42:21 PM »
  A built up Peace maker (the larger, flapped version) might make a nice home for a .19.
Easy to build and flies very nicely.

Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 07:14:08 AM »
  A built up Peace maker (the larger, flapped version) might make a nice home for a .19.
Easy to build and flies very nicely.

Rob.

Hi Rob, I agree, the Peacemaker (the one Top Flite kitted, full fuselage) should be a nice plane for the Fox 19!

Thye Brave, Warrior and Papoose from Veco would be good.

In fact, I think the Papoose would be PERFECT! The Papoose is basically a shrunken Chief, and flys very, very good!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 05:42:22 PM »
A Clown.....then you could race it,

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 07:19:30 PM »
Bill,

I guess the steel fin Fox .15 I owned had some shortcomings.  I don't think it would have gotten a Jr. Nobler sized airplane off the ground.  I know that my 31" WS airplane of unknown origin was all it could handle.

Jim Pollock   Z@@ZZZ

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 07:47:36 AM »
Hi Jim,

I did not get a chance to ask George just HOW he ran that steel fin 15.  Who knows WHAT he did to it! LOL!!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 03:56:21 PM »
Ken - Please understand I take no joy in raining on anybody's parade... But, the first version Fox 19 3 bolt had a 2 piece crank, with the crankpin pressed into a hole in the crank disc.  They fail when the hole opens up and the pin works loose.  The only way to know is to break it down and look at the crank for evidence of the hole.  The second version is visually identical to the first, and its impossible to tell which you have without disassembly.  If its a one piece crank, go ahead and enjoy a clown, Jr. nobler or Jr. flite streak, but please don't blow it up if its a weak one.  Tom H

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 06:01:28 PM »
Macky's Bluebird. 40 inch wingspan
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 07:12:51 PM »
Macky's Bluebird. 40 inch wingspan
Ed

Hi Eddie,

I have my Bluebird ready for color.  Charles used a Fox 29 in his original, I'm going with a '57 Fox 25.  It is a little more substantial than the Papoose which was designed for the plain bearing Veco 19.  I am not so sure that the Fox 19 would be quite enough for the Bluebird. (??)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 07:31:43 PM »
OK Bill, what color for your Bluebird?  This is a really neat little airplane and now that Eric has a kit for it, I will have to build one as soon as the other thousand projects get done.

Relative to airplane for the Fox 19, the deBolt Continental should be ideal.  See action hobbies in the vendor's area for a short kit.  Really nice little airplane and a good short kit.

Steve

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 04:31:24 PM »
  Bill Schmidt puts out a really nice set of plans for the Warrior that you can build from.
  I have put the little three bolt backplate Fox 19 on several different planes and it does very well on a 9 X 5 topflite prop and 10 % nitro with 28% castor oil.  On my Testor's Senior 29 it would do the AMA pattern fairly well.  That was pulling 0.015  dia lines 62 feet long.
  You can tell the two versions by looking at the Shaft boss gusset bracing.  The Curved baffle version had none and the straight baffle had three--- one on each side and one on the bottom.  The curved baffle at the start had a pressed in crank pin and some later versions had the solid machined on crank pin.  The straight baffle version all had the machined on crank pin.  That is the way that they came from the factory, but since the parts interchanged pretty welll throughout,  there are some out there in all different configurations.
  I currently have nine of the little rascals.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »
OK Bill, what color for your Bluebird?  This is a really neat little airplane and now that Eric has a kit for it, I will have to build one as soon as the other thousand projects get done.

Relative to airplane for the Fox 19, the deBolt Continental should be ideal.  See action hobbies in the vendor's area for a short kit.  Really nice little airplane and a good short kit.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I agree wioth the Continental!  It's a SHARP little plane!  Ty Marcucci has one done from the original DeBolt plans, and it is very cute. y1  Flys pretty good too!

I am using "Sonic Blue" a '55 Chrysler Motor Co. color for my Bluebird. ;D  It's a very pale blue and a color Fender used in their Custom Shop for Strats......  in fact, when I went to the paint shop to get some, it didn't come back on the computer as a Chrys. color at all, it just said "Fender Guitar Co."!! **) **) 

I really, really like those little 1957 Fox 25s! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 06:16:43 AM »
HMMMMM..Fox talk and "you know who" hasnt chimed in...he MUST be absorbed in something BIG, eh?....H.D

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 07:25:13 PM »
Marvin - I still have mine, albeit with a replacement crank taken from a wreck damaged 19.  Curious, the case has no shaft gussets, but the piston has a straight baffle.  So I GUESS it might have come that way from the factory, or was built from parts??   All of mine come from swap meets, so I'm not claiming originality.  There is certainly plenty of evidence that the factory never worried much about using up parts on hand so as to keep various models pure.  Thoughts?  Tom Hampshire

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 10:10:33 AM »
If you want a classic legal profile the Mackey Profile from Flying Models is a really good flying airplane.  I flew mine with Cameron and McCoy 19's.  Unless I am badly mistaken (plans out in the shop) the Papoose was designed for the McCoy 098. and would be hugely overpowered with a Fox 19. 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 11:36:14 AM »
If you want a classic legal profile the Mackey Profile from Flying Models is a really good flying airplane.  I flew mine with Cameron and McCoy 19's.  Unless I am badly mistaken (plans out in the shop) the Papoose was designed for the McCoy 098. and would be hugely overpowered with a Fox 19. 

Hi Jim,

The VECO kit of the Papoose was designed for the plain bearing VECO 19.  I built one in the early '70s and used an ENYA 19.  It is in the 30 odd inch WS group.  IIRC, the WS was the same as the Warrior and it looked like a mini Chief.  I have th ekit instructions somewhere, but haven't sen them in years.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 06:17:22 PM »
I always wanted to build a Papoose, but I couldn't afford an engine AND a kit, so I never did.  Spent all my money on a McCoy 35 and a Rocket 35.  By the time I badly built some kits for them I was totally broke.  Any ideas where I could get Papoose plans?  And the rest of the old Veco stuff?  For some unknown reason, they always looked really good to me.  By the way, our spell check doesn't like "Veco".  Must not be control line friendly?
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline tom dreisbach

• New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 05:56:56 AM »
Russel, Tom Dixon has the Papoose plans for $10,but i can not come up with his site. A FOX15 would work but aMcCOY 09 would not     Tom Dreisbach.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 06:29:51 AM »
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Bob Kruger

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 08:13:26 PM »
What would be a good airplane for this engine? It has a 3-bolt backplate and straight baffle on the piston. I was going to build a Hi Boy for it but after getting the plans it seems like to much airplane. What size airplane would be a good fit for this engine? Any classic designs suitable?

Thanks,
Ken

Bill Morely's Scimitar was designed for the Fox 19.

Bob Kruger
AMA 42014

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here