News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:44:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A lesson in Classics learned the hard way.  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
A lesson in Classics learned the hard way.
« on: August 26, 2013, 06:09:52 PM »

In the Classic days only one lap was required between maneuvers and I automatically placed a 4 oz tank in the Argus. Thus I could never get past the over head eight, and I tried several "tricks" and tricks don't do the job.
So, be sure if you are building a classic, put in a tank more that big enough for the entire pattern and at least 6 laps after the four leaf just to be sure. I know this has been mentioned many times, but it is easy to get into a mindset and forget today's pattern requirements. This embarrassed me to no end at Paduca last weekend.
I have come to the conclusion that the only way this model will do the entire pattern is to go to shorter lines and just adapt to a faster lap until I can make a bigger tank to fit..
As it was I tried a leaner setting, almost starved it; lower pitch prop, lean setting; but if I could gain 1/10 Th second of flight time per level lap, I could make it all the way.  I used to fly it on 60 eye to eye and never had to worry about running out of fuel, but it was too fast for me. Thus the longer lines and 2/10 Th's per lap slower and running out of fuel. That close.  I have discussed this with some in the know and may go to a slightly smaller venturi from the one that came with the engine, but it is so great  an engine I hesitate to do this... D>K
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:48:30 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: A lesson in Classics learned the hard way.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 05:09:32 PM »
Ty, I think I would have wedged a small sliver of wood in the venture. I have done that to increase mileage on several engines when the tank was to small. It works very well unless you are hurting for power to begin with. That is the easy way. The other way is to lower compression a bit as that will give you more time also. Of course, you are altering the way the engine runs, so you need to take that into account. I am sure you know all of this though. Even putting a couple of layers of pantyhose over the intake will add time.
Jim Kraft

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »
My Aero Tiger .36 gets about 6 1/2 minutes on 4 ounces. It was in an Olympic, now a Shark 35. This engine does have a lot of run time -mileage improves with use. 5% nitro, Bolly Clubman 10.5 x 5 prop. One layer of silk stocking material over stock venturi. If that differs from your set-up you may want to try something similar.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:01:37 PM »
Just wondering if a large fuel filter might just give you the mileage needed?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »
I finally did it. I made a new 4 1/4 oz tank. Took a new 4 1/2, ground it down. Good thing I removed the end cap. The inside of this NEW tank was filthy, the uniflow misaligned, and the over flow stuck so far into the tank, no way could one fill it..  So I cleaned  it, realigned the uniflow, shortened the overflow and made the tank 1/4 inch shorter. It was a nice fit in the model. Now to test fly it. Stay tuned.  H^^

Hmmm, kinda makes me wonder if the original tank - the one that gave you fits - also had plumbing issues?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »
Hi Ty
 try running castor/syn oil blend 50/50 and  try a 11'' prop if you have
the clearance for it
ALAN E BUCK

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 07:47:53 PM »
Hi Alan.
(snip)
 and that fuel is a no no for the Aero tiger. (snip)

Hi Ty,

That statement is very curious.  All castor in an ABC, ball bearing engine?  Randy would chew my butt for a month.............. ;D 

Sig Champion or the "new" Sig Special Blend. y1

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 12:05:01 PM »
Hi Ty,

You will also find, as you know, that run time will increase with the "blend".

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »
The saga forwarded and ended, same day.  At the St Louis contest I got in the air, did a fair pattern and ran 7.34. This on a 4.25 oz tank. Windy and gusty with the typical turbulence. Second flight, blam into the ground inverted at the bottom of the third outside loop. Did I mention turbulence?  The poor guy that flew right after me totalled his in the same spot. I think the trees close to the circle caused some strange air currents. It happens. Just before my flight, it was calm, then I entered the ring.....  LL~ LL~ LL~
Ty,
Was sorry to see your crash.  I didn't total mine after you, just busted the rudder and ruined a good 3 blade bolly.

James
AMA 491167

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:29:43 PM »
Well that's great, but it did  sound louder than mine  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
But you won the Black Feather award LL~ #^ LL~ #^
AMA 491167

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here