News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:58:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A couple of great gold vintage classical stunt models from the good old Daze  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
While diggin through some old slides for Bob Hunt today...knowing how much both Bob and Mark love SHINEEE'GOLD N' COPPA' PAINT SCHEMES
Here are a couple of great looking paint schemes  of my old slides that I scanned and sent to my new external hard drive...but at low resolution.

What amazing graphics huh?  I didn't write down any info on my old slide mounts so I don't remember who the artistic soulbrotha' who flew these at the 68 or 69 nats? H^^
Don Shultz

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Quasar is Bob English's design based on Jim Ticheys Collossus. The top picture strongly resembles one Bob built and flew a few years ago. I'm not sure if the smaller one, the 555 is Bob's or not though.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Thanks John....
"CHECK OUT THOSE BEAUTIFULLY SANDED IN "FLATS" on that fuselage....I took some really close up shots showing just how beautifully those flat accents sparkled and  reflected the gloss from the sun while in flight...I can't remember who I sent those other 5 or 6 slides via snail mail so many years ago?
I wish I had made duplicates waaaay back then.... n~
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Quasar is Bob English's design based on Jim Ticheys Collossus. The top picture strongly resembles one Bob built and flew a few years ago. I'm not sure if the smaller one, the 555 is Bob's or not though.

I just heard from Bob Hunt...and we both are pretty 99.99999% sure Indeedeee'.. that 2nd model is Arlie Prezzler's beautiful Q model.
Don Shultz

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Are you sure those aren't stringers with paper/fabric covering on the top/aft fuselage...like Leo's "Grinder"? Up by the canopy, it looks a little wrinkley.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Are you sure those aren't stringers with paper/fabric covering on the top/aft fuselage...like Leo's "Grinder"? Up by the canopy, it looks a little wrinkley.  D>K Steve

NO WAY!!! NOT A STRINGER TO BEHOLD ON THAT MODEL.....Those FLATS WERE SANDED..and hollowed~balsa blocks..and was the talk of the NAVY HANGER SESSIONS!
Don Shultz

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
I just heard from Bob Hunt...and we both are pretty 99.99999% sure Indeedeee'.. that 2nd model is Arlie Prezzler's beautiful Q model.

Certainly - That's classic Arlie lettering and it's his AMA number.

Brett

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral

NO WAY!!! NOT A STRINGER TO BEHOLD ON THAT MODEL.....Those FLATS WERE SANDED..and hollowed~balsa blocks..and was the talk of the NAVY HANGER SESSIONS!

I must confirm what Don just said.  I have personally seen that Quasar by Bob English.  The fuselage is all wood with those flats carved/sanded as if it wes a structure with stringers and fabric or tissue covering.  I had to touch it to believe that those flats were carved.  The craftsmanship displayed on this model is nothing short of incredible.

Keith

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
I must confirm what Don just said.  I have personally seen that Quasar by Bob English.  The fuselage is all wood with those flats carved/sanded as if it wes a structure with stringers and fabric or tissue covering.  I had to touch it to believe that those flats were carved.  

The craftsmanship displayed on this model is nothing short of incredible.

Keith

Here is another close up scan of just the front end....(not sure if this old slide shows the detail all that well.

Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Beautiful planes both of them.  Look at how many ribs are in the Quasar.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
I remember how beautiful that model looked under the Navy hanger lights the night before the qualifications....SPARKLED LIKE DIAMONIQUE...NAAAW! MUCH MORE RARE THAN THAN GLASS.
SPARKLED MORE LIKE THE HOPE DIAMOND!!
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here