• May 13, 2024, 03:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XF5U-1  (Read 4057 times)

Offline david smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
XF5U-1
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:26:02 PM »
In the rules it says that the airplane needed to have made a successful flight. Well I got this article from Charlie Reeves because it is what he used for his scale version and they accept it so my question is: Is this enough to say that it did fly and recieve bonus points? If not then I will keep digging for more because I really want to build one for Class 1 or 2 but I also really want bonus points. I also found an article in I think Aeroplane Monthly that said the same thing as the Airpower one. I believe it was the Nov. 1986 issue.

David

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: XF5U-1
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:08:29 AM »
I believe the article that Charlie sent to you actually states that the XF5U-1 did become airborne during a taxi test.  That means it had a pilot in it and it flew.  WW II ended before the airplane could be shipped to California for its flight tests.  It was never flown again after that taxi test where it became airborne.

The rules for CL Scale state:

"A scale model shall be a replica (copy) of a heavier-than-air, man-carrying aircraft. Only prototype aircraft that actually made flights can be selected as subjects for competitive modeling. ... The Contest
Director may disqualify any entry which, in his opinion is not a bonnafide scale model."

Charlie has flown his model of this aircraft in several scale contests and the contest management has accepted the written/published account that the full size aircraft was flown.  The airplane was flown and it satisfies the rules to be eligible for CL scale.

The CL Carrier rules state that for a model be be eligible for scale bonus points:

"8.1. A scale model of a carrier aircraft of any nation, provided it displays the national markings of the using nation, shall receive bonus points. A carrier aircraft is any man-carrying aircraft which was successfully flown and which meets at least one (1) of the following requirements:
a. Aircraft made actual carrier-type takeoff and arrested landing on an actual or simulated carrier deck, or
b. Aircraft is designated as a carrier aircraft by an acceptable source (in cases where actual carrier-type takeoff and arrested landing are not documented)."

So here we have an aircraft that was designed to operate from a ship, (which could be but not necessarily a carrier), it was flown, but never actually took off or landed on a ship.  Personally, I would find that the documentation provided in that article provided by Charlie is sufficient to comply with the intent of the carrier rules.  However, that is just my own personal opinion which probably means something approaching zero.  A possible solution to the matter would be to put your justification material in a letter addressed to the CL Carrier Contest Board with an information copy to the AMA Technical Director and get a signed "Opinion Letter" from one or the other source or both where hopefully the decision would be that this model would be eligible for the CL Carrier scale bonus points.  (Actualy, this will give the Contest Board something to do officially for you as an individual AMA member.)

Here are some pictures of Charlie's model that has flown successfully at several contests, including the famous 1/2A Multi-Engine Profile Sale contests here in Tucson.  (Note that the engine nacelles are scale and are in compliance with the profile width limitations for CL Scale models.)

Keith
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:10:32 AM by Trostle »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31:56 AM »
I do not see how this plane would be legal  for scale carrier.   Accordin to the internet articles I pulled up, it was designed as a verticle takeoff or landing aircraft.   None of the photos or drawings show a carrier hook.   That is why some planes are not legal for scale carrier as they were never equiped with a hook.    Make great profile ships ships tho.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »
Well.... ... it was designed for operations from Naval ships. As I understand it, it didn't need a hook. It was meant to be able to fly very slowly but I don't think the idea was to do precisely vertical take-offs and landings.

But if the original didn't have a landing hook, is the model allowed to have one?

edit:
or did it have a hook?
Drawings show an "Auxiliary hoist" and "Auxiliary hoist pivot (arresting hook in ventral position)"

link to a pretty big cutaway drawing:
http://references.charlyecho.com/Aviation/Vought/XF55U-1/Cutaway/Xf5upiston.jpg
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 11:04:15 AM »
I do not see how this plane would be legal for scale carrier.  According to the internet articles I pulled up, it was designed as a vertical takeoff or landing aircraft.  None of the photos or drawings show a carrier hook.  That is why some planes are not legal for scale carrier as they were never equipped with a hook.    Make great profile ships ships tho.

Doc,

That airplane was NOT designed for vertical takeoff or landing.  It was not equipped with a tail hook either.  The thing was designed to fly from the surface of a ship using only a small platform.  Its takeoff and landing speed would be such that no carrier hook would be necessary.  It was designed so that the aircraft could be carried on ships for airborne protection when those ships were not being accompanied by aircraft carriers.  As WW II continued, the need for such an aircraft became less and less of a requirement and the urgency to continue development of the XF5U or anything like it did not materialize.

So, the question really is that since this prototype airplane, which did become airborne, and was designed to be flown from a platform on a ship, is it legal for the Class I/II Carrier events since the single airplane built did not have a tail hook.  According to the rules posted in my earlier post, the airplane fulfills the requirements of the scale bonus carrier rules in that it flew and was designed to operate from a ship.    My recommendation before was to approach the CL Carrier Contest Board, with an information copy to the AMA Technical Director, and ask them for an interpretation/approval to use this design in carrier competition.  The fact that a "non-scale" tailhook would be added should be explained.   If the tail hook is the single factor to not allow this design in Carrier competition, the model could be flown without a tail hook and just let the main gear serve to accomplish the arrested landing.  So, if the Contest Board/Technical director deem that the addition of a tailhook is not allowed, they should be asked if the design could still be used in competition even without a tail hook.  That means that the thing will likely noseover on probably every arrested landing but that is not unusual in carrier competition anyway.  And who knows, maybe the landing speed of this, given its area/configuration (which will give near-delta like flight characteristic's which allows for extremely high angles of attack and very slow forward speed), will be such that it might land on the deck, with such slow forward speed that even if the main gear engages with the arresting cables a noseover might not be an automatic occurrence.

One should not get get confused that this was not designed for operation from an aircraft carrier as we think of aircraft carriers.  It was designed to operate from a platform on a ship.  When a ship has such a platform with this airplane, that ship becomes an aircraft carrier.

Interesting exercise.  Speaking of Profile Carrier, Frank Scott did a version of this in American Aircraft Modeler, Jun, 72. This had the flight characteristics described above.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:09:28 AM »
Since it was designed to fly off a ship and to land without a carrier hook, that is the way IMO it should be flown.  With the planform it should not be too hard to slow it down enough, nearly hover, then plunk it on the deck.

Of course, I wouldn't try it.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:22:31 AM »
In my opinion, accidentally 'hopping off the ground' and being successfully flown are not the same.  Somewhere I have a reference to those taxi tests in which the pilot "didn't consider it a 'controlled flight'..." and no other document that I'm aware of states that there was any further 'flying' of that plane.

I was under the impression that there was a ruling long ago to that effect, with regard to this plane.  Since Profiles did not get scale bonus points under the rules the original model flew, it didn't matter.

All that said, as a CD I would probably lean toward giving the scale points at a local contest and warn you that some other CD (like at the NATS) may not -- and would be perfectly justified.  I don't know how we would get more clarification on this particular issue other than to have the Technical Director rule on it.

As for the tail-hook, I'm pretty sure my scale drawings show a fully retractable tail hook - I'll have to look at home.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »
Just as an aside, I've always thought that a "fantasy scale" event would be fun, at least for the spectators (well, for guys who read about contests in magazines, which is usually where I get my scale itch scratched).

Basically, eligibility would include any published comic-book airplane, whacko concepts from Popular Mechanics, all of the "what were the Nazis smoking" concepts from WWII, mockups or prototypes that never made it off the ground, etc..  "Scale documentation" would be illustrations from period publications.

Any airplane that actually flew would, of course, be ineligible.

Perhaps a special trophy to the whackiest airplane at any given contest.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:42:39 AM »
Here is the drawing that Perttime references - note that drawing element #57 refers to the 'arresting hook in ventral position'.  In fact, I believe that the 'auxiliary hoist' IS the arresting hook and can rotate all the was through and point downward.  I believe that my side-view (at home  :() shows the hook fully retracted into the interior of the wing .... er .... fuselage .... uhhm ... structure    :)!
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
But was the hook actually installed for the flight tests?

Heaven knows, I've certainly been on field tests for equipment that didn't quite match any known drawing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »
As long as it's on the 3-view, the prototype would be eligible for scale bonus points (if otherwise eligible  ;))
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 11:57:59 AM »
In my opinion, accidentally 'hopping off the ground' and being successfully flown are not the same.  Somewhere I have a reference to those taxi tests in which the pilot "didn't consider it a 'controlled flight'..." and no other document that I'm aware of states that there was any further 'flying' of that plane.

(Clip)

Please explain.  If an airplane is moving forward and for some reason, it becomes airborne, whether completely controlled or not, it is in the air.  Is that not flying?  It the pilot didn't consider it a 'controlled flight'", how did he get back on the ground without a crash?  He must have had some control.  But the question is, when is being airborne with forward speed not a flight?

A decision by the Contest Board/AMA Technical Director would settle this matter as well as the tail hook question, regardless of how long this or any other forum drags out the discussion.

Keith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 12:12:50 PM »
Please explain.  If an airplane is moving forward and for some reason, it becomes airborne, whether completely controlled or not, it is in the air.  Is that not flying?  It the pilot didn't consider it a 'controlled flight'", how did he get back on the ground without a crash?  He must have had some control.  But the question is, when is being airborne with forward speed not a flight?

Just as a nerdy linguistics note:

According to a biography of Clyde Cessna that I have, early aviators (circa 1910's or so) would only credit themselves or one of their peers with a "flight" if they rose off the ground, made significant and controlled turns, and landed at some predetermined spot without damage.  Just rising off the ground and landing again without killing oneself was an "ascension".

It's a lot easier to make a high-speed "hop" than actual sustained, controlled flight.  There were plenty of folks that did the former, both before and after Wilbur and Orville did the real thing.  Even the Wright brothers had trouble with turns, and did not accomplish them until 1904 or 1905.
AMA 64232

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
Tim,

Ok, I know you are having fun, but I am a little slow ----

The question remains, when is being airborne with forward speed not a flight?

Keith

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 12:47:18 PM »
Please explain.  If an airplane is moving forward and for some reason, it becomes airborne, whether completely controlled or not, it is in the air.  Is that not flying?  It the pilot didn't consider it a 'controlled flight'", how did he get back on the ground without a crash?  He must have had some control.  But the question is, when is being airborne with forward speed not a flight?

A decision by the Contest Board/AMA Technical Director would settle this matter as well as the tail hook question, regardless of how long this or any other forum drags out the discussion.

Keith

I'm not sure what 'the tailhook question' is -- the only mention in the rulebook is in the model requirements - paragraph 3.

"3. Aircraft Requirements. Model must have a fixed or retractable landing gear. If a retractable gear is used, it must be lowered for landing. The model must be equipped with an arresting hook which when extended may not be longer than a one-third (1/3) the length of the fuselage."

Doesn't matter if the prototype had one or not - the model must.  Nowhere in the scale bonus description is a tail hook mentioned.  In fact, it says if "arrested landings" can not be documented, the prototype can still be designated as a 'carrier aircraft' by an 'acceptable source'.  I think the presence of a tail hook has always been used to imply that if the full size plane had one, it was there for arrested landings so that half of the requirement was met.

As for the successful flight requirement, to my way of thinking, a "successful flight" is something that is done on purpose and successfully completed.  Like if a flight plan is filed and/or a mission briefing is held.  If merely bouncing into the air is successful flight, then I've had a 1966 Dodge Van that I successfully flew on several occasions to an altitude of >2 feet and for distances in excess of 40 or 50 feet.  

In any case, I don't intend to argue the point.   If someone brings a Skimmer to my contest I've already said what I would do.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:20:19 PM by Mike Anderson »
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 01:21:50 PM »
Tim,

Ok, I know you are having fun, but I am a little slow ----

The question remains, when is being airborne with forward speed not a flight?

Keith

I hesitate to answer because I'm not sure that I'm qualified, because I'm afraid it'll hijack David's thread, and because I'm afraid that I'll just feed an argument.

But, what the heck:

I think that this is a case that really highlights the fuzzy nature of any human language.  I think it's more pertinent to ask yourself what the answer is to "yes, but is that really flying?".  If I put a rock in a trebuchet and let it fly, we say the rock is in flight.  But if I clip a Piper Cub's wings to a 10 foot span, hook it to the sling of a trebuchet, and let it fly, can I enter it in a scale competition in it's nearly-wingless form on the basis of it having flown through the air?

More to the point, if I build a homebuilt airplane that is inherently unstable, or not powerful enough to rise it's own wingspan off the ground, or is otherwise incapable of rising off the ground at airport A, flying through the air in a safe and controlled manner, then landing at airport B so that I can buy a $100 hamburger, have I built an airplane that is capable of really flying?

If I take said "airplane", and I manage to wrestle it off the ground a foot or two and then land it, without ever deviating from a straight flight path or leaving the confines of the airport, has it really flown?  Or is the flight only slightly more "real" than my hypothetical nearly wingless Piper Cub being flung by a trebuchet?

What about hovercraft, that "fly" inches above the ground without ever (necessarily) touching it?  Are they "really flying"?

What about those Soviet ground-effects "airliners" that fly across huge lakes without ever being capable of getting more than a few tens of feet above the water?  Are they "really flying"?

Or those weirdo Iranian "patrol seaplanes" that also can't get out of their own ground effects for any length of time?  Are they "really flying"?

On the other hand, there are innumerable examples of machines that can be taken off from the surface in a safe and controlled manner, utilizing the reaction of the air against their flying surfaces, that can be flown in any arbitrary flight path (within their range and altitude capabilities), and landed safely from altitude back to the surface.  These are real aircraft, and no one is going to argue that what they are doing is really flying.

For example, the Wright Flyers and other early machines did demonstrate that ability -- even though some of them were so rickety, underpowered, and inherently unstable that they stayed above ground by luck and phenomenal piloting ability.  Those were "real airplanes" that "really flew", even if the FAA would never sign off on one even as a homebuilt.

So I would say that not only did the XF5U-1 not demonstrate "real" flight (because it was just a hop), but that you couldn't use it as a scale subject on that basis (pending, of course, a decision on what the rules really mean by someone in authority).

Had the thing taken off, climbed more than its wingspan above the ground, circled the airfield, then landed, I would definitely say that it really flew.
AMA 64232

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 01:41:01 PM »
Tim,

So now I am even more confused.

You give the criteria to define when an aircraft "really flew".

The Carrier rule states:

"A carrier aircraft is any man-carrying aircraft which was successfully flown."

If any man-carrying aircraft has "successfully flown", does that mean that mean that it had to "really fly".  The AMA rules do not mention anything about being "really flown".  This thing got off the ground.  I was in the air under its own power.  It landed.  It did not crash.  I do not think it has anything to do with any home built, or any Cessna, or anything the Wright brothers did.

I have searched my aerodynamic books (I admit, they may be a bit dated) and there is no definition in them for "really flew", or "really flown", or "real flight".

As I said before, we can have fun with this for the next two years or more (a rules change cycle), but a decision by the Contest Board/AMA Technical Director would settle this.

Also, like I tried to explain before, I am a bit slow.

Keith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »
At this point it's just a fun conversation for me.  I fly neither carrier nor scale, so I don't have a dog in the race.  Moreover, if I did fly either event I'd probably place a higher weight on keeping the peace (and therefore keeping my mouth shut) than making waves.  I suppose that if the only thing between me and a trophy I felt I really deserved was some aircraft that I didn't feel was eligible I'd lodge a protest -- but even then, one says one's piece to the guy in charge, then one shuts one's mouth and accepts his decision.

Pulling in the Piper Cub and the trebuchet into the discussion was just for the purposes of shining a light on the issue from a different angle, basically in an attempt to find some intermediate steps between something that's clearly acceptable (i.e. an F8F) and clearly not (i.e. a rock, or a grand piano).  If you consider those intermediate steps, then it helps you figure exactly where you would draw the line, which in turn helps you apply it to the problem at hand.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
If this bird somehow is deemed legal for Class I & II Carrier, I know of sevral other designs that should be counted legal even tho they never had a carrier hook.   One I think of is the Cessna push/pull plane they had flying.   It was capable of easily landing and taking off a carrier deck.   That big C-130 also did take offs and landings with no hook.   The MO-1 got by with photos of it taking off and landing on a deck of a ship.   If you look close at photos, the hooks were attached to the main laning gear.   It did not have an arresting hook as I know a hook should be.   All I will say in closing, is if you show up with one for scale carrier, you better have plenty of proof if I ever am an event director for carrier at a NATS again.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 07:05:44 PM »
If this bird somehow is deemed legal for Class I & II Carrier, I know of sevral other designs that should be counted legal even tho they never had a carrier hook.   One I think of is the Cessna push/pull plane they had flying.   It was capable of easily landing and taking off a carrier deck.   That big C-130 also did take offs and landings with no hook.   The MO-1 got by with photos of it taking off and landing on a deck of a ship.   If you look close at photos, the hooks were attached to the main laning gear.   It did not have an arresting hook as I know a hook should be.   All I will say in closing, is if you show up with one for scale carrier, you better have plenty of proof if I ever am an event director for carrier at a NATS again.  

As I said, this plane DID have a tail hook - it was designed as a carrier plane for the Navy.  I would venture that ANY plane designed for the Navy to operate off carriers after WWII would have had to have a tail hook, but I'm sure someone would be able to point out an exception.  At any rate, here is a drawing from Naval Fighters #21 -
As you can see, the tail hook is as goofy as the rest of the plane.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »

Keith

Some pretty reasonable logic there.

All I know is that if someone actually built one and showed up at a contest and would want to fly it in Carrier, it would be pretty lame if he/she was turned away.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 08:46:46 PM »
  Some pretty reasonable logic there.

All I know is that if someone actually built one and showed up at a contest and would want to fly it in Carrier, it would be pretty lame if he/she was turned away.

And as mentioned before, any controversy regarding if this airplane is compliant with the carrier rules regarding if it flew (which it did) and if it had a tail hook (which it apparently had or provisions for such) and even if it did not, it was still designed to operate from a platform on a ship at sea; that controversy could be easily settled by a signed statement from the Carrier Contest Board and/or the AMA Technical Director.  Such action would either approve the design for Class I/II competition or they could rule against it.  Case settled.  (Though it would still be fun to prolong this rather senseless discussion.)

Keith

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31:08 PM »
It appears as if it all comes down to the ambiguous definition of "successfully flown".  I wonder if a bit of taxi testing and the wheels breaking ground momentarily would satisfy the AMA safety code requirement that a model must be successfully test flown before entering a contest. I kinda doubt it. But as a former CLCB chairman, my feeling was that in the case of rule ambiguity, let em' fly now, and sort it out later. You can always make 'em give back all the prize money later. Of course when the rules are clear.....

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 05:06:58 AM »
A long, long time ago, I was considering this endeavor for carrier and could not find the documents as the "cloud" did not exist. Now, there is so much info!
Here are a couple of links that could solve the ambiguity. I do not want to end the topic though... Too much fun reading!

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f5u.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_XF5U
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=f5u+photos&qpvt=f5u+photos&FORM=IGRE# The photo that has the aircratf on horses has the hook deployed.

And if you have time… a paper model out of your printer!!!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22662446/Chance-Vought-XF5U-1-Flying-PanCake

H^^
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:30:34 AM by Rafael Gonzalez »

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 09:14:59 AM »
"3. Aircraft Requirements. Model must have a fixed or retractable landing gear. If a retractable gear is used, it must be lowered for landing. The model must be equipped with an arresting hook which when extended may not be longer than a one-third (1/3) the length of the fuselage."
hmmmm, It doesn't say that you have to use the hook for landing. You just have to have a hook.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »
It says it later .. you have to read the whole set of rules.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 10:49:33 AM »
Yeah, if you don't make an arrested landing  you get zero points.  I've had a landing that the gear stopped the plane but the hook did not grab a cable.  Also make a little keeper on the hook so the cable doesn't fall out once the plane has come to rest.   If you watch the really good guys like Billy B. and Mike Greb they will land with the hook dragging the deck to hook a cable. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 11:14:57 PM »
Same debate with the Kingfisher, but that's all been hashed out over the years also.

It's shame this concept wasn't resurrected in the 50's with twin Turbo-props. I think the vibration issue that plagued the prototype would have been solved. I wonder if it could have given the Skyraider a run for it's money.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »
Did the XF5U-1 "fly" or did it not?

I have discussed this matter at length with Dick Perry. He is of the opinion that the published reference to an unintentional hop is sufficient to make the plane eligible. Nothing is ever that simple, however. There are no photos to independently verify the claim. Vought management directed that the plane not be officially flown. If it had, there were contractual obligations that would have cost the company money. Because of the uncertainty, no one has approached the CLCB for a ruling.

Here is a short movie clip of the XF5U-1 taken during one of the taxi tests:

"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »
There you go, David!  If Dick Perry is OK with it, then who am I to disagree?   Bring it to Des Moines this year.    y1
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »
Well thanks everyone for your  input. I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to this sooner, been too busy with work and Ive only had enough time to look at it not to sit down and put another response. I had started to try to come up with another idea since it seemed like it was going to be a bit controversial to build one for scale but thanks to Bob Heywood for contacting Dick Perry I will try to build one. Now watch, once I get it done it will probably fly like crap, but it will be cool.
Sorry Mike I wont be coming to Des Moines but Im going to try to make Sig. It is going to depend on Michaels school schedule and my work schedule. This year is the busiest we have been in the 5 years I have been working here. The new cars are a pain to work on.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 07:09:50 PM »
I wouldn't put in for vacation at the usual Sig Contest time if I were you.  I have it from Bob Nelson that the control line contest is off.  We are still waiting to get Mike G to confirm.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline david smith

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
Well I hope it isnt because I would like to go again. Maybe Polk city next year then. I might have the Skimmer done by then :)

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 07:16:36 PM »
There will be no Sig contest this year. (And, I believe, in years after.) I confirmed it with Mike Gretz.
Pete

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »
... it seemed like it was going to be a bit controversial to build one for scale but thanks to Bob Heywood for contacting Dick Perry I will try to build one.

David,

I would still recommend contacting the Carrier Contest Board and the AMA Technical Director to get a written statement regarding the acceptability of the XF5U-1 for one of the scale Carrier events.  Yes, you can claim that you saw a post on a Control Line Forum that somebody said that he heard from somebody else that the airplane was acceptable.  In all due respect to Bob Heywood (I know him and hold him in high respect) and Dick Perry (I know him and also hold him in high respect) who we all know is the Chairman of the Carrier Contest Board, you might find an event director who could care less on what somebody wrote on some forum about what somebody else said about some rather obscure airplane.  (Please reference the flak already raised by some on this forum that even though the airplane got into the air, it was not a "real flight" and does not comply with the Carrier event rules.) It would take very little effort to write that letter and would prevent a lot of problems after the time spent to build the thing.

All you would need to do is reference that Ginter book, give the quote about the airplane becoming airborne, and request a ruling regarding the acceptability of that airplane for the scale Carrier events.

That is one of the reasons the Contest Boards are there and that is one of the services that the AMA Technical Director can perform.

Keith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »
Good point Keith.   I remember the year someone wanted to fly an Auto-Gyro in profile.   Even tho, if you figured up the disc that was well over 300 square inches while spinning.   Even had some stub wings, but it was deemed not to meet the rules for Profile Navy Carrier. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »
Neither the auto-gyro or the XF5-U are serious competers but are fun to fly and watch. So I say let em fly!
mike potter

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 10:31:25 AM »
Let's not bring THAT up again! mw~ n1

Joe Just

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »
The Auto-Gryo was OK'ed for Class 1 as presented, but not Profile.  A clever, unique design, and legal for Navy Carrier except as a profile design. The NCS then opted to change elligibility rules to Fixed Wing aircraft only. To this day I was sorry that happened.
Joe

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »
Look at post #19 --
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here