News:

• May 05, 2024, 09:29:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: World Class Navy Carrier  (Read 1094 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
World Class Navy Carrier
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:20:23 PM »
I like reading about this e-carrier, but, I probably will not get into until there is a proven package to work with.  Like when I was kind of serious with carrier when you flew scale carrier or profile, but, not both.  I had the old McCoy 60 Red Head working pretty good.  Even the Rossi was okay, but, not as dependable as the McCoy.  Never ran anything other than K&B 100 fuel. 

What I want to know is what happened to the World Class Carrier Event.  I know there was supposed to be a demo at the 2004 Muncie Worlds that was nothing close to being a demo.  I have seen on the British forum there type of carrier.  I like their idea of only four cables to try and snag along with the elevated deck.  Would make starting engines a lot easier.  I also don't think they have line sliders yet.  They also have quite a variety in types of aircraft.  I guess really I should contact the NCS about this really.  So keep it clean.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
Re: World Class Navy Carrier
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 10:02:29 PM »
They are planning another Carrier demo at the 2008 World Championships.

http://www.f2cmbl.org/

Dave

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 11:46:16 AM »
Hope they do it right this time.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 01:03:33 PM »
What exactly in your opinion did "they" not do correctly?   Mike
mike potter

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 02:24:41 PM »
The word I got was from other people as I was at the F2C site most of the time.  For one, no body had a PA to tell people what was going on.  Also I heard it was run like a regular carrier contest.  In other words two official flights and you were done.  Even had one person say they stopped to ask questions and was ignored.  To me a demo has to have someone on a loud speaker telling the spectators about what is happening.  Also why worry about scores when you are showing someone how  to do slow flight.  How about a trainer with throttle to get licensed people on the handle to try throttle control.  The biggest thing is a static model set up to show how all the gadgets work and why.  Another thing is no down time which means there should be a plane in the air as much as possible.   It would take a lot of work and quite a few volunteers to do it right.  My opinion,  DOC Holliday

PS:Would be good time for a lot of practice and help. jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 02:51:02 PM »
Depends on who the demo is supposed to be for ..

If it is just for the spectators, you might say all that is useful.

If it is for the rules making bodies, in hopes of getting your event
classified and having a world championships, then you need to
get that group in one spot, and show them what it is you do.
You don't need to make it a full-blown PR job.  They aren't going
to want to sit around all day and watch a bunch of practice
flights.

You don't need a World Championship venue to demo for the
crowd.  But that is your best chance of getting all the
rules-voters in one place.

M@
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »
Like John I spent all my time at the F2C circle counting laps and timing.

I don't know what the purpose was of the event demo at the WC.  Show it off, perhaps try to generate international interest, or have the FAI C/L officials review a "typical" NC competition.

Problems with the NC demo at the Muncie 2004 World Championships:

1)  I am interested in and used to fly Navy Carrier.  I had no idea when the demo was to be flown.  So there was an apparent lack of on-site publicity.  But given the overall lack of publicity about the world championships in general, I shouldn't be too surprised.

2)  While the location chosen for the event was near the road and somewhat central to the official event sites, it was still a ways from the official event sites.

3)  The location was in the high grass (the circle was cut) and looked every bit like a last minute add-on, not a presentation of a new event for the world's consideration.

4)  AFAIK, there was no attempt to have FAI officials briefed on the event or invited to observe the event.

Basically, folks got together and flew a partial day Navy Carrier contest at the World Championships.

BTW, last year we got to see some Navy Carrier flown at a contest in Belgium.  If the event ever does come up in the FAI rules, expect the event to look a lot more like the British NC events that like ours.

Dave

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 05:18:35 PM »

BTW, last year we got to see some Navy Carrier flown at a contest in Belgium.  If the event ever does come up in the FAI rules, expect the event to look a lot more like the British NC events that like ours.

Dave

If the event ever comes up in the FAI rules, expect it to look as little like American
anything as they can make it ...

JMO --

Mike@
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 12:53:07 PM »
I've seen the Brit Carrier site and the stuff looks really cool. I wouldn't mind a new event in C/L whether it be FAI, AMA or whatever. It's got to be a positive sign to have a group intereted in a new event introduction, no?
Chris...

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 11:43:58 AM »
I participated to a degree at the "Demo" at the 2004 Worlds. Stepped on my Profile, failed miserably to get a "pipe" run on my Class I. One has to keep in mind that it was the Worlds, and the Demo was at the bottom of AMA's food chain in priority. Planning was basically the previous Nats Banquet and some sparse correspondence prior. Getting a place to fly at all was a miracle. The folks working it and participating had other things going, many fly a lot of other events and had to fit the Demo in. Melvin, who did a ton of the work, had his vending to attend to. There were some glitches, but the overall result was positive.

In retrospect, should we ever get another shot at it, I think we should use Dave Rolley's and Doc's ideas, although a PA system might fall on deaf ears if the audience doesn't understand English. I ran into this problem describing John Vlna's flight to a German citizen.

Bottom line, NCS had the Demo, a lot of people saw us fly, and that was the goal. That's how I see it.

Best regards,
dale gleason

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 10:31:06 PM by dale gleason »

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 12:24:12 PM »
I participated in some of the combat demos in the 1970-to-1976 time frame when F2d was under consideration.

The key element in an FAI demo is to prove that A LOT of PEOPLE in A LOT OF NATIONS fly the event. 

The preliminary F2D WC in Rotterdam drew upwards of 60 flyers from about 15 nations. 

Can carrier produce something on that scale?
Paul Smith

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 06:04:47 PM »
This is now 2008 and I don't think carrier, combat, racing or  speed could come near 60 entrants at the Nats let alone put on a demo of that size. Sadly most control line events are much, much smaller than they were in the 70's and 80's. It's just a matter of the number of people nationwide that still fly models using control lines. Radio control has taken over. There are groups in England and Japan that fly carrier but again they are small numbers. The field where I fly has 6 to 8 active carrier pilots and that is a lot considering the average weekend turnout for fun flying is 12 to 18 people. I don't think there are any larger numbers of carrier modelers anywhere else in the states. The intent of the demo at the WC was just to show some of the people there that carrier existed in the US and we were having fun with it. It was not meant to be a bid for an FIA event. I don't see this changing in the future either since most new flyers are starting with RC. I still have a lot of fun flying carrier and try to encourage anyone who shows interest to give it a try.
Bob Frogner

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here