News:

• May 08, 2024, 04:13:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where is everybody  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Where is everybody
« on: October 01, 2008, 05:01:41 AM »
No posts in Carrier.
What gives?
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Where is everybody
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:06:17 AM »
I think they are out flying.  I need to get back to my SkyRay carrier plane.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 10:25:20 PM »
Good looking model there, Wayne.
I have a deep desire to build my Nostalgia Sterling F4U Corsair.
Chris...

Joejust

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 01:13:48 PM »
Wayne, here are two of my latest, and in no way near the quality of the Gaurdian you pictured. I had planned on entering the Mustang at Brodaks last June, but the guy that was going to bring it to PA didn't go. Perhaps you and I can talk agin at Brodaks in 09.
Joe Just
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:54:31 PM by Big country Joe »

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »
Joe, the plan Is to be at Brodaks again in 09. I look forward to meeting you. I will have a new profile Brodak Guardian with the gray scheme like the class 2 picture. I have used the white and orange scheme for a long time. I like this gray scheme. BTW, last sunday Gary Hull and Dan Radway helped me get the Rossi 60 in the class 2 running. I have it muffled but it still sounded great and felt good.
We are headed for vacation in Thailand next week so I need to setup my lines when we get back and maybe we will get a test flight before the snow flies. Chris, thanks for the compliment. This Class 2 Guardian is from Bill Boss plans. it has a 40" span. Cant wait to fly it. Intersesting story, I got the plans from my flying buddy Dave Heinzman, he had had them for years. There was a question on whether the plans were nostalgia legal so I sent Bill Boss an E-Mail asking Bill for the date of design. He said he submited the Guardian plans the same time he submitted the Sea Fury. The Sea Fury got published because the magazine said there were to many Guardians. So nostalgia legal it is. If I build another it will have flaps.
Thanks
Wayne

Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 07:17:35 AM »
FWIW Bill Boss' "Sea Fury" plans are still available at "RC Store dot com" as well as many other former Model Airplane News plans.  Wayne, any chance of making your updated plans to the Guardian available?  I have a Guardian kit but between the 40 year old balsa and outdated building techniques really don't want to try the build but have always liked the design.  I don't know if it is still there but there was a Guardian, dismantled and not in very good shape but recognizeable, at the Aero Union facility at Chico Airport in Northern CA.  Only one I've ever seen.  Aero Union converts and operates Neptunes, Orions and DC-7's as fire bombers.   
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 01:10:17 PM »
Pete, when we get back from Thailand I will make an honest effort to get some copies made. This airplane is larger than the Sterling Guardian which had a 36" wing span. We have a great bluprint shop in Akron that is reasonable and is 100% accurate. They dont just make copies like Kinko's. As you can see I originally started to build the Class 2 with flaps but then decided against.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 02:47:58 PM »
FWIW Bill Boss' "Sea Fury" plans are still available at "RC Store dot com" as well as many other former Model Airplane News plans.  Wayne, any chance of making your updated plans to the Guardian available?  I have a Guardian kit but between the 40 year old balsa and outdated building techniques really don't want to try the build but have always liked the design.  I don't know if it is still there but there was a Guardian, dismantled and not in very good shape but recognizeable, at the Aero Union facility at Chico Airport in Northern CA.  Only one I've ever seen.  Aero Union converts and operates Neptunes, Orions and DC-7's as fire bombers.   

I think the Aero union bird is at the CAF in Mesa, AZ looking for a sponor. Was reassembled and complete with propeller last time I saw it. Big ship for a single, makes the Skyraider look slim!
Chris...

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »
That sounds great Wayne - I'd like to get a copy when you return.  Have a vintage ST-51 w/ exhaust butterfly etc. that ought to work well.  I like the looks of flaps at slow speed but would also be tempted to leave them off and simplify the control linkage situation.  Chris - thanks for the update.  That explains why I haven't seen it at Chico recently.  The CAF is where it belongs.  PC
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 12:42:55 AM »
Peter  Cunha said:

"I don't know if it is still there but there was a Guardian, dismantled and not in very good shape but recognizeable, at the Aero Union facility at Chico Airport in Northern CA.  Only one I've ever seen."

I know where one is. Two years ago I had some time to kill the day I returned from Ted Kraver's carrier contest in Phoenix. I went by The Arizona Wing of the Commemorative Air Force in Mesa, Arizona. They had a Guardian there and I took a few pictures. Here's a link to their site.

http://www.azcaf.org/index.html?var=http://www.azcaf.org/pages/about.html

Click on aircraft and you'll see a listing for the Guardian. It was is OK shape when I was there but the website says it's now being restored.

My first carrier plane was a Brodak Guardian (with some helpful hints from the designer, Bill Calkins) so it really interested me.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 09:00:44 AM »
That is some good info, Bob.  I'll have to poke around a little more on their site when I've got time.  When did they change from "Confederate" to "Commemorative" Air Force?

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 10:55:26 AM »
Wayne, that is one really mean looking Guardian.  Very appropriately appearing with that huge cylinder sticking out.  Reminds me of the old ones with the McCoy 60s protruding.  Carrier the way it should be, No wimpy MO-1s allowed!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »
Thanks Don, I have always liked the way the airplane looked. Some years back I stopped at Chino and they had a Guardian there that was an ex water bomber. It was silver and red. I have a picture that I will scan. I assume a lot of people have seen that airplane. But boy was that airplane huge or what. Bigger than a TBF/TBM. A very manly machine. I remember fondly flying Sterling Guardians withh Rossi 60's in the early to mid seventies. I have a picture from the 70 or 72 NATS of Ray Willman who I believe really brought that airplane to the for front. Especially the prototype version in silver with blue trim and the round tail. I believe it was the 72 Navy NATS at Glenview where there were so many carrier entries they ran 3 decks. I'll catch up with you guys when I get back from vacation.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 12:15:25 AM »
That is some good info, Bob.  I'll have to poke around a little more on their site when I've got time.  When did they change from "Confederate" to "Commemorative" Air Force?

Mike A

Mike,
I don't know when the name changed (or if it was the old Confederate Air Force). They had some very interesting stuff. Some big radials is various stages of repair. Massive engines that looked extremely complicated, with lots of oil all over the place. The B-17 was pretty cool, they had it all apart. You could walk all around where they were working on the planes. Some other really off beat planes too. Nice facillity.
Bob Frogner

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 10:53:44 PM »
I think it was 4 years ago when they changed the name to Commemorative Air Force. The operation started with a handful of crop dusters and local businessman pilots from south east Texas and the name Confederate Air Force was just the right name for guys flying what was then, old junk from the war. (What people don't realize now is that WWII airplanes were not welcome on a lot of airports and people did not like seeing them around their aviation busnesses in that 50's-1970's era.) They were rebels with a like mind of saving the old airplanes, but it took a long time for the rest of the world to catch up.

Then the world caught up to them, for the Confederate moniker became something political and the name was changed so as not to offend anyone.

I remember when they were all painted white with red and blue stripes and they had two P-63's, a P-38, Mustang, Hellcat, Corsair, Bearcat, and they grew to be a huge operation.

Chris...

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 09:42:22 AM »
Yeah, I got interested enough to find a Wikipedia entry for them.  The history and their other info is real interesting.  The name change came about in 2002, when they decided that the name was hindering fund-raising. 
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 05:15:54 PM »
Wayne, Mike

If you want to see what their P-38 looked like, Go to the AMA Archives and look at the March 1986 issue starting on page 75. 

I served as Lefty Gardner's crew chief for a weekend in 1982.  The article is about my C/L Scale model that I built that winter.

In the first picture that is me in the cockpit, in the second Lefty Gardner is setting on the right nacelle and I am on the left side of the cockpit..

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 07:48:10 PM »
Hey guys....I am a retread and very interested in carrier...again.  I competed way back in the late 60's with a Skyshark that had a tired enya.29 and did ok...Doc Holiday was kind enough to send me a pristine Sterling Guardian kit to get me going again.  More than anything i'm just letting y'all know
I am out here in central Georgia...are there any Carrier guys around here?...in the state maybe?  Going to Brodak 09 so hopefully will meet some of the big boys then.  Would love some info on plans and stuff to get in gear.  Thanks.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 07:48:38 PM »
Thanks Don, I have always liked the way the airplane looked. Some years back I stopped at Chino and they had a Guardian there that was an ex water bomber. It was silver and red. I have a picture that I will scan. I assume a lot of people have seen that airplane. But boy was that airplane huge or what. Bigger than a TBF/TBM. A very manly machine. I remember fondly flying Sterling Guardians withh Rossi 60's in the early to mid seventies. I have a picture from the 70 or 72 NATS of Ray Willman who I believe really brought that airplane to the for front. Especially the prototype version in silver with blue trim and the round tail. I believe it was the 72 Navy NATS at Glenview where there were so many carrier entries they ran 3 decks. I'll catch up with you guys when I get back from vacation.
Thanks
Wayne

This is a nice airplane!

AMA 12366

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 07:56:19 PM »
You got that right Robert...Would like to see some plans to this and others that are being campaigned these days...I like the idea of
Nostalgia Carrier too.  I tried to snag a rossi off the bay but goodness...the prices for these classics.  Guess i'll use a ST Blue head I
got stashed away.   
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 02:39:05 AM »
Wayne, Mike

If you want to see what their P-38 looked like, Go to the AMA Archives and look at the March 1986 issue starting on page 75. 

I served as Lefty Gardner's crew chief for a weekend in 1982.  The article is about my C/L Scale model that I built that winter.

In the first picture that is me in the cockpit, in the second Lefty Gardner is setting on the right nacelle and I am on the left side of the cockpit..

Clancy

Neat pics, Clancy.
Good to see some 60's through 80's pics of J.D.Reed's old Sky Ranger Oil racer.
I suppose you have seen the pics of it since it's restoration after Todd's crash.
Gorgeous.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 04:05:49 AM »
This is a nice airplane!

Well this past Sunday was the day that we finally flew the Class 2 with the Rossi 60 in it. I put up two flights and we had nos mishaps. It has a very nice groove and does slow down nicely although I will build the next one with flaps. We fly off of grass so there wasnt the blast off I had experienced previously in my carrier life. It was great to hang on to a sixty again. What a rush. Now some practice and preparation for Detroit and Brodak's.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 06:56:08 AM »
Nothing like surviving that first flight...Hope to see it at Brodaks.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 04:14:01 AM »
Thats the plan.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 07:24:01 AM »
Thats the plan.
Wayne

Speaking of plans -- last fall there was some mention of getting plans copied.  Did you ever
get a chance to have some copies made?  I am trying to decide on something to build for
Class 1 at least and maybe Class 2 also.  Availability of plans would be very near the top
of my list for the "what" to build decision.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Joejust

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 07:57:14 AM »
Well, I guess this is a plan of sorts. I plan soon to offer a new 3-line handle and 3-line bellcranks for the beginner. One of the problems in getting a newbie to try carrier flying is the initial cost. Even Brodak or Sturdybuilt haqndles are a major expense as well as bellcranks now averaging $20 a pop. What i have been working on is a small 3-line handle capable of handling any .15 size plane. So far all the trials have been positive and a place to strart.  I will of course be promoting the Brodak line, but feel there has to be a cheape way to get started.  along with that, I have been workin g with a major kit manufacturer and hope to come out with a .15 Hellcat.  The prototype looks and builds very well.  I will be bringing a .15 size plane to Brodaks and will have the handle there as well.  Right now it looks like $40 will be the cost for both the handle and bellcrank if all goes well.  I dont plan on making much profit on this plan, simply cover costs would please me.

Joe Just

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 10:25:02 AM »
This is very interesting, Joe, as I have 3 or 4 possible newbies and I haven't yet told them what the 'funny' handle and bellcranks cost   %^@

Just a suggestion -- why not start a new thread with this info, since I believe it is going to be a popular and useful thread in its own right?  That will keep this thread from going off in another direction.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »
Speaking of plans -- last fall there was some mention of getting plans copied.  Did you ever
get a chance to have some copies made?  I am trying to decide on something to build for
Class 1 at least and maybe Class 2 also.  Availability of plans would be very near the top
of my list for the "what" to build decision.

Mike, I have plan copies of the Boss 40" Guardian and also the Sterling 36" Guardian. They are $5.00 each folded via USPS First Class Mail.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here