News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:57:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What bellcrank would you recommend for this?  (Read 824 times)

Offline Ken Deboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Silk and Dope
What bellcrank would you recommend for this?
« on: January 22, 2007, 07:27:45 PM »
I've decided to build an A6M Zero to learn carrier with. It will be based on a scaled down (to 320 or so sq. inches) Brodak kit with some mods. I want to beef up the wing a bit and I know I need to mount the bellcrank on the outside of the wing. Power will probably be a Thunder Tiger 36. My question is, what bellcrank would work best for this plane? Brodak sells 9 different 3 line bellcranks. Also, where can I finds plans/instructions/diagram for building the tail hook and leadout slider?

thanks,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: What bellcrank would you recommend for this?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 11:04:10 AM »
   Yes Brodak makes 8 different 3 line bell cranks and its not because there is 8 different ways to use them. I would say that there is at least 40 different ways to use the bell cranks and if several of us got together the count would go up and up I'm sure. For a short answer if you are going to mount the BC on the top of the outside wing behind the fuel tank you would use Brodaks's ''BB-376 2 1/2'' upright short span three-line bellcrank. If you are going to mount it on top of the inside wing you would use ''BB-382 2 1/2'' upright short span three line bellcrank.
   The wings that I build for carrier have a d/c section leading edge which means that the forward part of the wing has 1/16'' sheet top and bottom from the leading edge back to the top and bottom spar location. Then the area between the ribs and the top and bottom of the spars are sheeted with caps (spar caps) out around 8'' on each side of the wing. For spars I use 1/8'' by 3/8'' spruce top and bottom. My ribs are made of 3/32'' bolsa instead of 1/16'' bolsa only because I'm getting older and tend to break the 1/16'' ribs while working with them. I put the forward leading edge cap sheet on top of the ribs and back over the spruce spar to within 1/16'' of the back of the spar. Then I put a 1/16'' by 1/4'' or 3/8'' cap on top of the ribs from the leading edge cap back to the trailing edge cap. I use another D tub for the trailing edge and a trailing edge of 1/8'' by 3/16'' spruce. May sound a little heavy but most of my profile planes weigh between 44 and47 oz. and thats with a Nelson engine and Power Thrust Muffler combination that weighs almost 17 oz..
   Having said all of this, I only live about 50 miles from you and could easily come up and give you a few pointers. You would need your reduced plans and a bunch of copies on 11' by 17'' paper(from Staples or Office Max,ect.) of the reduced plans so we could scribble on those paperes and not your plans. eric

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here