News:

• May 01, 2024, 08:03:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vote NO on E-Carrier rules  (Read 745 times)

Joejust

• Trade Count: (0)
Vote NO on E-Carrier rules
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:35:20 AM »
After a great deal o hought i have come to the position that I will be voting NO on the e-carrier rule proposal now available in the latest iussue of HI-Low bulliten.

While e-carrier may be an interesting new event, I do not see where it does anything to promote the inclusion of any new interested parties.  In my opion it simply is a new event for some already expert flyer to excell in.  Also it does not feature the "try it locally first" thoughts that have always defeated any new ideas becoming viable.

I think it might be wiser to allow e-carrier o be flown for a year or two as an unoficial NCS  event.  Perhaps then one might get the feeling or numbers to decide then weither or not to have a set of new rules put in place.

In any case, VOTE!

Joe Just

Offline bfrog

• Commander
Re: Vote NO on E-Carrier rules
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 08:43:58 PM »
Joe,

I think you are mistaken on the intent and the context of the proposed rules. If you read the introduction letter that accompanied the ballot the questions you raised were addressed. I have copied a couple of parts of that letter below.

"I think it might be wiser to allow e-carrier o be flown for a year or two as an unoficial NCS  event."

See the opening sentence and also the second paragraph.

Since the proposed NCS unofficial rules were published in the last Hi Low Landings,
there have not been any comments sent in to Gary for publication or discussion.

I had a nice phone conversation with Leon Ryktarsyk about Electric Carrier. He questioned the choice of weight limits, and I explained it was just our best guess, based on E-Carrier experience to date, of a reasonable way to begin. We can change the weight limits in the rules after a year or two of experience.

"Also it does not feature the "try it locally first" "   see the second sentence below

The purpose of this article is to ask for your vote on the proposed unofficial Electric Carrier rules published in the last issue and reprinted here. Your approval would provide a set of rules, kept administratively by the NCS so you can always identify them easily and precisely (as, for example, NCS319e) that could be used in local carrier contests, either as separate events or as events combined with the non-electric events. This will be a decision by the contest organizers, of course, but it will make it possible and precise to add electric Carrier.

These rules were drafted so that there could be a framework to experiment with over the next few years and then refine them. They will not to replace any existing official event rules and can be used at the contest directors discretion. 

Bob
Bob Frogner

Joejust

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 08:48:50 AM »
Bob, I read the bulletin too. however, I see no reason to rush the input now. Give the e-carrier at least two years of local involvement first then vote in a set of rules that will be permenant. Further, I can no longer vote for ANY rule that does not have as its basis the intent of drawing NEW fliers into the event. This e-caarier project is not one that will draw any but those already committed to Navy Carrier. The start up cost alone will chase away any new fliers. The NCS has to realize that without some sort of push to get new involvement in Navy Carrier at the beginner level the event will die.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 10:52:32 AM »
Bob, I read the bulletin too. however, I see no reason to rush the input now. Give the e-carrier at least two years of local involvement first then vote in a set of rules that will be permenant. Further, I can no longer vote for ANY rule that does not have as its basis the intent of drawing NEW fliers into the event. This e-caarier project is not one that will draw any but those already committed to Navy Carrier. The start up cost alone will chase away any new fliers. The NCS has to realize that without some sort of push to get new involvement in Navy Carrier at the beginner level the event will die.

Well said, Joe.

Not only have the elites of carrier not tired to bring in new people, but the rules changes since 1975 have ALL been aimed at deleting cost-saving rules (like plain bearing stockengines) and opening to door to make EVERY class a money-spending orgy.  Not bringing in new people is putting it mildly, they seem to want to make it a private club where only three people can afford to participate.  Sort of the "unlimited hydroplane" of modeling.

Here we have a nice little 15 event where you can just use a little ole' 2.5 cc engine with a throttle, available from Tower for $69.95.  One guy with some electro-tech wants to open the door to make it another one-man event.   
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 03:19:29 PM »
How come last year when the contest rules boards were waiting for input/proposals nobody put in one to limit 15 carrier to one specific engine.  I have won 15 carrier several times because my competition was trying too hard to impress everyone.  I've never had one even come close to the 70 mph limit, lucky if I even had enough speed to get air borne.  Still have my diesel version hanging waiting to fly again.  Anyway E-Carrier should be a separate event, but, what do I know.  The last year I competed didn't even make top 20 in sportsman or 15. 

Now Paul and others I did not look to see if proposals passed preliminary or not.  If they did it is time to input some info to improve them instead of berating everyone.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here