News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:50:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vintage carrier Photos Glenview Navy NAT 70 or 72  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Vintage carrier Photos Glenview Navy NAT 70 or 72
« on: September 14, 2009, 07:05:54 PM »
Three photos, Ray Willman with round tail Guardian, Terry Herron's Class 1 Judy and my 36" Sterling Guardian done as a round tail. it was powered with a Rossi 60 ABC, Kavan pressure carb. The engine was reworked by Dave Wallick. What a rush flying that one. These were taken in 70 or 72 at Glenview NAS. Navy NATS were great.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
Re: Vintage carrier Photos Glenview Navy NAT 70 or 72
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »
Those were the days...
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »
Up until just a few years ago, Terry Herron was always at Topeka with a Japanese Betty, maybe it was a Judy, I think it was Rossi powered. It had the high speed, for sure.  dg

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:33:16 AM »
Wasn,t there a redux on the Judy in the last couple years? Maybe his son or something? I know there was something someplace, the original airplane I saw at Glenview was a rocket.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »
Those were the days...

Thre more snapshots, Tony Nacarato at Glenview, me launching Heywood's Skyshark, and guess, those airplanes, at least one is from Detroit.
Wayne
"Those were the days"
BTW, I have slides, how do I post those?
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:57:54 PM »
Great to see real looking planes for Carrier. No hovercraft here/ the real deal. I have a very pretty full body Skyraider built and a British night fighter for class 1. Several kits of Sterling Guardian/ one Mauler/ one Corsair / Full body Robert's. I was running a couple of my Class one engines at Tucson field and was getting some nasty looks. they did crank on and were loud. I have two killer ST .65's R ABC with Kavan hi-volume pressure carbs that will sing loud and proud.
Cheers,Dan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 12:39:53 PM »
I was there in 70 and 72.  Bill Johnson had one that would get close to 130 mph but would not idle.  When he slowed it down it finally idled.  Both officials I had a good high speed and comfortable low speed, but, would flame out on landing.  Ray Wilman's boys tried to fly carrier a few years back, but, did not like the hanging.  As they stated it didn't look real.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 02:01:39 PM »
There is no requirement to fly in the hang at 60 degrees. If someone doesn't like it don't, fly low speed at any degree they feel is appropiate. I don't feel it is a good reason not to fly carrier. It is true they may not bring home a trophy but I hope they are flying for fun and comradery not trophies.
mike potter

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »
There is no requirement to fly in the hang at 60 degrees. If someone doesn't like it don't, fly low speed at any degree they feel is appropiate. I don't feel it is a good reason not to fly carrier. It is true they may not bring home a trophy but I hope they are flying for fun and comradery not trophies.
Lets get something straight right now, if the sliders didnt practically fly out of the back of the airplane, if a 30 degree max angle had to be maintained and the deck was put back where it used to be, which was launching and landing with the wind at the flyers back, there would be no hanging, no constant 100 point landings and no extremely long low speed flights. I'm with the Welmans, I fly my way and I still dont have to like flying non prototypically.
Wayne

Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 08:21:45 PM »
Wayne,

More good stuff. The Glenview NATS were something special.

Thanks.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 09:07:33 PM »
     Well Wayne lets get something straight, I find it hard to believe that you and the more than several others that post on this forum can continually put down the AMA carrier events day after day, week after week, as if you and the more than several are some sort of exiled kings of "Remember When". I and many other people fly AMA carrier and although we may not always agree on all things "carrier" we don't sit on the other side of the fence and throw hand grenades at each other.
     There has been an effort to bring in some unofficial events that would give the people that don't want to fly AMA carrier events another venue that they could enjoy. I'm pretty sure that I and the others who just fly the AMA events would love to see you and the more than several fly your airplanes in the events that you would like to fly them in. We would not be standing around on the side lines committing on how dumb your events were. We would be right in there with you helping anyway we could.  Eric

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 04:22:03 AM »
Hey Eric, no name "Skyshark" threw the grenade I didnt. I fly the event and I have the right to say I dont like it the way it has evolved. You can continue to fly it the way you want but that doest mean I cant express my opinions. Last time I checked this is still a free speech country. Not an " Exiled King" either, you have some names for those exiled kings!
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 09:54:33 AM »
 I remember the good old days too! Flying that 100+ high speed with that big old Rossi (talk about unrealistic) sticking out of the cowling. Trying to idle down for a low speed run of 30 or 40 mph. Slamming into the deck trying to land. Breaking the prop on every flight.Ripping the hook out or tearig the tail off. Breaking or bending the landing gear on every landing. Building a couple of new planes every year because of crash damage. Sometimes we would get lucky and be able to repair the damage between contests but the models got heavy and ugly by years end the high speed got slower and low speed suffered with the weight increase too. After a few years of this some of us got good enough that we could do a complete flight without the damage every time but most everyone didn't fly enough to get that good so it was brutal most of the time.
 Along came sliders and better engines and we could finally get slow. Now I don't tear up airplanes and equipment but it still take a lot of practice to get good, but doesn't everything?
 The point is there are enough classes for everyone to fly what ever style they like but the excuse to not fly because it isn't the way it used to be isn't valid.In the near future carrier event will be gone and we will be too old to fly it if it were. So get out there now and fly what ever style event you want, while you still can.
 And that's the truth
mike potter

Offline Bighitter3

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 01:14:46 PM »
The picture of the Detroit Carrier Planes in 1970 are Rick Sawicki's Light Blue Sky Pirate Class II, Rick's LN Newport Class I and Marion Sawicki Class II Guardian. My brother Rick won Class I Open, Father was I believe third in Class I. He won Class I Open in 1969 and I won Junior Class I and II in 1970.  Rob Sawicki

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 07:08:13 PM »
The picture of the Detroit Carrier Planes in 1970 are Rick Sawicki's Light Blue Sky Pirate Class II, Rick's LN Newport Class I and Marion Sawicki Class II Guardian. My brother Rick won Class I Open, Father was I believe third in Class I. He won Class I Open in 1969 and I won Junior Class I and II in 1970.  Rob Sawicki
I missed seeing Rick at the Signal Seekers Stunt contest in August. Does Rick still have plans for the Skypirate? Maybe next year we can get together, tell him I said hello.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 10:31:58 PM »
Skyshark/ Wayne,
Both make good points. I have been to several contests here in Tucson that had Carrier events. Totally unimpressed with some real ugly ships and those sliders look like boobs on a bull. Sorry thats the way I feel. Only plane that looked good was Keith Trosel's full bodied Bearcat. His high speed was modest and it flew fast for slow speed run. I will fly my class 1's  ships as sport models with speed control and class 2 ships for all out speed and able to slow them up. I'll make up lighter L/G as 5/32 wire is way to strong and tears ship up. They will never compete with hovercraft modern ships but will not be MO-1's either. The real killer is some pukey .15 size profile with a carb being passed off as Carrier ship. Oh well not for me, I like Navy full body non MO-1 planes. Dart Shark/ Hellcats/ Corsairs/ Maulers/ Skyraiders/Guardians/ Bearcats/ AT-6's/ Avengers/ Helldivers etc. Whats next for modern Carrier/ Ringmasters with a carbs and hook /slider oh my ?? There isn't much interest in Carrier as someone who has been around for awhile things change and good luck. I have spoken to several locals and they hate the new events flown today. Change is not allways good.
Cheers,Dan

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 09:10:25 AM »
As originally written, the rules for Carrier explicitly prohibited any device that would alter the yaw of the model during flight and during slow flight required that the model maintain a flight attitude consistent with its full sized counterpart. The originators did this to keep the event relevant.

Unfortunately, the quest for ultimate performance, supported by self serving rules changes, has made the event so esoteric that any sense of relevance is gone. A sort of scale model of a lackluster between the wars observation plane flying around like an A.J. Ceiling Walker simply doesn't mean anything, no matter how much skill it takes to accomplish the task.

What Wayne's pics don't show were the crowds of spectators that watched Carrier. They loved it. They understood the speed, the slow flight, and the skill required to make a landing. They understood fighters and attack planes.

So...I'm returning to the fray, but on my terms. No sliders...No Mo-1's.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:30:13 PM by Bob Heywood »
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 10:13:11 AM »
Bob,
Self serving rules hits nail right on the head. Like what has been said crowds loved Carrier. Planes today look like B--Slobs and fly just like them. Hey you modern Carrier put a hook on Bi-Slobs and call it slob carrier. I know there is nostalgia Carrier but amount of flyers are very small. It does take skill to fly hover crafts, Sure doesn't look like a real carrier plane by a long shot. One way to even it up is ban sliders and require scale legal carrier design. Might just see more McCoy red head .60's/ rossi / ST G engines and nice looking scale ships. Awesome to see a scale carrier ship faster than a fast combat Nelson equiped plane. OK said what I feel and if you don't like it- well thats fine. Enjoy.
Dan

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 12:03:30 PM »
As originally written, the rules for Carrier explicitly prohibited any device that would alter the yaw of the model during flight and during slow flight required that the model maintain a flight attitude consistent with its full sized counterpart. The originators did this to keep the event relevant.

Unfortunately, the quest for ultimate performance, supported by self serving rules changes, has made the event so esoteric that any sense of relevance is gone. A sort of scale model of a lackluster between the wars observation plane flying around like an A.J. Ceiling Walker simply doesn't mean anything, no matter how much skill it takes to accomplish the task.

What Wayne's pics don't show were the crowds of spectators that watched Carrier. They loved it. They understood the speed, the slow flight, and the skill required to make a landing. The understood fighters and attack planes.

So...I'm returning to the fray, but on my terms. No sliders...No Mo-1's.

Bob
Bravo Bob, well done.
Wayne

Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »
I'm new to this carrier game but completely agree with what Bob said above. Spent 4 years playing on a carrier in the 60's and never saw an airplane come in tail first. Sure it's rough to land at 30 or 40 MPH but isn't that part of the fun.. Build the airplane tough enough to take it and have fun.

The airplane I'm going to build won't be competitive by todays standards but I don't care it's all about having fun and if I have to fix it once in a while I'll learn where the weak points are.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 01:45:50 PM »
I'm new to this carrier game but completely agree with what Bob said above. Spent 4 years playing on a carrier in the 60's and never saw an airplane come in tail first. Sure it's rough to land at 30 or 40 MPH but isn't that part of the fun.. Build the airplane tough enough to take it and have fun.

The airplane I'm going to build won't be competitive by todays standards but I don't care it's all about having fun and if I have to fix it once in a while I'll learn where the weak points are.
Bob, welcome to the club.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 07:09:10 PM »
1972 Glenview Navy Nats. Three decks that year. Picture #1 is my Sterling Guardian Rossi 60 powered up front and my TBD-1 K&B 40 RR gray case with Kavan carb. In the middle is the late Roland Baltes "MYRT" McCoy 60 red head powered. Roland Baltes was a great guy unfortunately passing away at an early age. Picture two is my TBD-1 being launched and picture #3 is the arrested landing of my TBD-1. I like those prewar colors. Flying carrier at a Navy Nats was areal rush.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 07:19:50 PM »
More pictures, year unknown but I believe it was the Cleveland Junior Air Races, a AAA meet when carrier was popular. Two Corsairs and a Sea Fury I believe. Notice no sliders on the Corsairs but a slider on the Sea Fury. Also notice an MO-1 trying to sneak in.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 10:27:15 PM »
I believe the Sea Fury is by Bill Calkins. The MO-1 at the bottom is mine. I don't recall who owns the MO-1 in the top.
Pete

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Photos definately from the 1970 Navy Nats at Glenview NAS, Chicago.
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 09:31:10 AM »
Black & white photos, as requested by the magazines back in the day.

Obviously, there were a lot of people who wanted to watch a US Navy fighter go 105, 110, or maybe 120 MPH and try to land on the deck at 20 or 23 MPH, compared to watching an obsure observation plane of questionable heritage hang by its prop all day if the flyer and center judge are on good terms.
Paul Smith

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 10:50:04 AM »
Strange looking carrier models in that first photo! They look more like combat models or maybe stunt? The audience is impressive, they even have a Navy band.
mike potter

Offline Bighitter3

• New Pilot
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 02:34:57 PM »
Wayne, Great Photos bring back a lot of memories. People don't remember but the actual Navy Personal use to judge and time Navy Carrier up till 1972. Notice Judges with hardhats in the one photo. Bob Sawicki

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 02:35:25 PM »
I'm betting the photos were taken during the NATS Model Airshow.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Bighitter3

• New Pilot
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 02:39:18 PM »
Bob, I bet you are correct, The airshow was always on Sunday, we use to fly Carrier on Saturday so the Navy Personal could judge and time the event. Rob Sawicki

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2009, 05:25:20 AM »
I believe the Sea Fury is by Bill Calkins. The MO-1 at the bottom is mine. I don't recall who owns the MO-1 in the top.
Pete
Pete you lost me. What pictures are you referring to.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 08:44:57 PM »
The top picture of the Corsair has an MO-1 in it, just barely visible ahead of the Corsair.

In the bottom photo of the sea Fury there is an MO-1 behind the hawker.

Those MO-1 lovers can pick one out of a picture with only a few square inches visible!

Chris...

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2009, 04:07:03 AM »
Thanks Chris I didnt know which pictures he was reffering to. BTW I have a good number of 35MM slides of carrier models and other models. How or what is the easiest way to make them postable?
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »
A good scanner with your computor should do the trick.  Also as MO-1's are so ughly, they stand out like sore thumbs.   LL~ LL~DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2009, 03:53:53 PM »
I assume you want me to just lay the slides on the scanner?
Please advise.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 07:08:59 PM »
I assume you want me to just lay the slides on the scanner?
Please advise.
Thanks
Wayne

They make special scanners for that.

I converted some slides to digital just by projecting them on a white wall and re-fo-grapping with my hand-held digital.  OK quaility for here and zero cost.   These were some very old slides and the quality wasn't all that good to begin with.

The C-5 was taken over Oklahoma on one the first-ever C-5 air refuelings.

The Nike picture is so old, Detroit Public Schools actually welcomed Army displays then.  Most likely with a $3.95 Kodak Brownie.

Paul Smith

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 08:55:34 PM »
Maybe I can borrow one from someone.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here