News:

• May 08, 2024, 08:25:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: UK Carrier Deck  (Read 954 times)

Online Bob Heywood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
UK Carrier Deck
« on: March 06, 2014, 07:24:35 AM »
Maybe some have seen this. It's kinda neat.

"Clockwise Forever..."

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: UK Carrier Deck
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:43:15 AM »
Nice.

I like the higher deck, although it X's out the ability to start your own engine, unless you don't mind running a long way.

It sure makes ramp strikes and dragged takeoffs easier to judge.  Also the landing is closer to eye level with airplane not so depressed compared to the pilot.

The smaller English deck is consistant with the smaller actual English carriers.  They did a good job of eliminating about 80% of the cost & weight of our decks.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:39:45 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:10:11 AM »
With their deck it isn't that far.   And don't most guys have some one start the engine for them?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:35:14 AM »
The Brits have an interesting take on Carrier. For sure you have to be pretty spot on for the trap.

As for the video, I really like the play between the model action and archival carrier flight operations. That's what it's all about.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:46:03 AM »
Bob, thanks for bringing this up again. I have seen it several times as I have their web site as a regular item. It's a well done video. You know, our club was offered an AMA style deck very cheap including trailer, and even would throw in two new trailer tires and we couldn't get the guys to go for it because it's so heavy and takes man power to set it up. Boy was that dissappointing. There must be a way to build a super lite weight way to build an AMA deck without heavy plywood etc. Unfortunately our circles are grass and we are very thankful for the CCF fairgrounds putting up with us. It's just necessary to put it away because of vandalism or theft. Oh well.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Joe Just

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »
Wayne, and all, The English/European type deck I'm building is so light one person move it in a van, can put it together by yourself and the total cost is well under $200.  Last late Summer I built a small version to see if the construction methods I had in mind will work.  Right now I have everything here to start the construction.  I'm just waiting for 60 degree days and light winds.  The only new too lI had to build was a 6'plus "bow" to cut the foam blanks.
Again let me say that in my opinion the English have a better Carrier system.  40's in profile, no hanging or "trick" features like sliders, and a much smaller deck. 5'x28" with only four arresting lines versus our 8'x44' monster.  Scoring is much like ours, but line lengths are unusual in that they list 60' or SHORTER lengths.  They only have two classes of Carrier. What do we have now? 13,14 of ?  Their Nats had 20 or more entries in the two classes. We had, what? 8 or 9.  Makes one think.
Joe

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 07:27:12 AM »
If we could only get more support to try it. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here