News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two Speed Engines  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Bill Gruby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Two Speed Engines
« on: May 30, 2007, 01:12:10 AM »
Hi Everybody;

I have a request? I am the proud owner of a "FOX .59 Two Speed", does anyone out there remember how they were set up with the "Shut Off" on the low speed needle? This much I know, the high speed needle was set dead lean, while the low speed needle was set to add more fuel to the engine causing it to go rich and lower the RPM. This was done by a "Mechanical Shut Off" I am told. With the Shut Off on you have stopped fuel flow to the low speed needle giving you the high speed run. With the Shut Off off you have started fuel flow to the low speed needle causing the engine to get more fuel than air and run rich causing low speed running. Now,what I am looking for is how all this was accomplished? There probably won't be many of you who remember this set-up but I am hoping? Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. Diagrams or pictures would be fantastic. Any of the items needed for this set-up that could be bought by me would also be fantastic. Well I hope I didn't leave anything out?

Thanks a Bunch;
              "Billy G"  HIHI%%
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Two Speed Engines
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 05:09:38 AM »
How you did it was left to he imagination.

I imagine I would just pinch the fuel line with a lever from the Roberts bellcrank. 

Based on the date of origin, the inventor probably intended that the fuel line be pinched (and unpinched) by a rubber escapement on an RC plane.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 05:29:37 AM »
Paul;

Thank-you for your response, I am hoping that someone here has done it in the way back when. This engine is quite a find and I would like to bring it back to life. Now I have at least one of every "Two Speed Engine" that Fox ever produced. There has got to be at least one of you "Carrier" people out there that was around in the mid 50's and seen this done?

"Billy G"  HB~>
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 06:21:12 PM »
I owned one of those Fox 59's you descirbe, but fortunately, I sold it to a collector rather than ruin it attempting to fly. 

Based on observations of similar engines in action, I close wisely.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 06:41:12 PM »
I owned one of those Fox 59's you descirbe, but fortunately, I sold it to a collector rather than ruin it attempting to fly. 

Based on observations of similar engines in action, I close wisely.

Paul;

Engines were made to run not sit on the shelf. Any engine I have can be pulled down off the shelf or out of storage and run, period, no exceptions. If it can't be run I don't want it. I don't know how many engines I actually own but each and everyone is a runner. If I don't completely understand the components of a system I ask questions. No engine is beyond running. Am I a collector-----You betca Bub.

"Billy G"   VD~
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 08:24:59 AM »
Bill, read the post and do not think your question was answered.  If you look at the shut-offs used in CL racing maybe you can reverse the action.  Full down elevator or full up momentarily will trip the shut-off to go open instead of closing.  I have something similar on my class II goodyear that when shut-off is set the uni-flo overflow is pinched off.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 09:31:17 AM »
To Bill,

I understand your position entirely.  Personally, I'm not a collecter at all.  I only own engines that I intend to fly.

There are "virgin collectors" out there who will pay a nice preimium for NIB specimens.   If I happen to get one of these units in a bulk selloff, I try to sell 'em what they want.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here