News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:18:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TT 36 Pro  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Lee Thiel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
TT 36 Pro
« on: September 10, 2009, 07:53:18 PM »
I was running in my TT-36 the other day, and didn't have my tach with me. What rpm's should I expect for top end and what rpm is normal for low speeds.   This is on test stand, with 10/6 prop for break-in.  After another tank of fuel, I will change to 9/6 or ?.. As it is now, I do at least have good transition from low to full open.
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: TT 36 Pro
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:09:51 PM »
     I use an APC 9/6, and with Power Master GMA 10/22 fuel I turned 17,800 (after break in) and if I switched to a Perry carburetor #1301 my RPMs went up to 18,300. I cant remember if the engines were run open faced or with a Nelson Ultra Thrust Muffler?   Eric

Offline ryancompetition

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:26:49 PM »
Just for reference as this is not the exact engine you're using.
We use the TT 40 Pro in Pylon with 9x6 apc's on 15% powermaster fuel. Ground RPM is usually right around 17k peak in stock configuration (which is all we're allowed to run). Ultra thrust muffler should be good for 1000-1500 rpms. Have had problem with the rear bearing retainer cage, don't know if that is an issue with the .36's.
-Todd

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:25:54 PM »
     Hello Todd, I've been using the TT Pro 36 engines in my 2nd string planes for the last 5 or 6 years and found them to be what I think is the stongest over the counter and out of the box 36 engine around. I also have a TT Pro 46 in a ex-Melton MO-1 which is now in Mike Potters hands. In my notes, my figures show that my 46 turned 17,600 with a APC 9/6 on Power Master 15% with the stock muffler on the engine. Without the Muffler it turned 18700?? I questioned that figure at the time but was to lazy to go back and re-test. I switched out the stock carb for a Perry 1301 and the RPM went down to 18400 (no muffler) which I ignored because I had never gone down in RPMs when I switched to Perry's.
     I've never used a TT Pro 40 so cant add any light there. I never thought of the 40 and 46 being as competetive in scale carrier as the 36 is in profile carrier.   Eric

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 04:26:00 AM »
Yesterday, I also put a TT 36 on the test stand, the needle sure acted weird. Not sure if it's because it's been 20 years since I messed with an RC carb or what. Maybe someone can tell me what I an doing wrong.

No muffler, PowerMaster 10-22 fuel, old TopFlight 10-6 wood prop. First, no way it would even run with the needle set at  2 1/2 turns out like the book says, way too lean. I was able to get it running with the needle almost all the way out but still seemed like it was running lean and for sure hot. Made sure the fuel passages in the carb were clean and am running a fuel filter on the test stand to eliminate the possibility of a plugged spray bar.

Didn't try to run it at low throttle or mess with the low speed needle, just trying to get the high speed to act normal for now. I wasn't able to get a good transition between rich and lean with the needle, was a very narrow range where it would even run. Is this normal? Should I install the muffler and run muffler pressure?

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:16:40 AM »
As a simple first test add the muffler and muffler pressure to the engine.

If that helps but not a cure then clean the needle valve and spray bar.  I have found metal burrs in some new engines, not this brand.

Second test would be change fuel and or glow plug.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 07:06:34 AM »
Thanks for trying, what you suggest is good but basic stuff that in this case I already know to try. Not discounting your trying to help but am hoping someone with hands on experience with this particular engine will chime in.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 07:14:12 AM »
Bob,

Was the TT 36 new, unmolested? 

It has been a while since I looked at the TT 36 throttle, but I would suggest that, with the throttle in the wide open position, NV set to 3 or 4 turns open, look down into the throat and see how much distance there is between the tip of the NV and the end of the low speed adjustment.

It is possible to get the low speed adjustment so far in (lean) that you can't get the main NV far enough out to get a proper high speed mix.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 07:28:40 AM »
Bob,

It is possible to get the low speed adjustment so far in (lean) that you can't get the main NV far enough out to get a proper high speed mix.

Cheers,
Jim

Not familiar with the TT specifically, but if the carb is like most, then yes - it could be that the low speed needle is screwed in too far and is shutting off the fuel supply.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 08:33:31 AM »
Yes it's a new engine, first time ran. Didn't mess with the low needle TT says it should be in the ball park but we know how that goes. The spray bar is a spigot and the low speed needle is probably at least 1/16 inch away from the end of the spigot when the carb is full open. High speed needle is way before the spigot and don't see how the low speed needle could mess with it.

Have another new engine and have a spare carb coming from another club member. Will be completely disassembling one of the carbs to see exactly how it feeds and also to see if I can't somehow install a low speed throttle stop screw. Looks like we will have 4 club members running this engine in fun carrier and none of us want to have to purchase another carb.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »
I was at an engine seminar put on by Hobby People.  The setting of the low speed initally is with the carb at full low, close the low needle fully, put a fuel line on the carb, blow through the line and slowly open the low needle listening for for the air just starting to come through.  Works for me.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

david smith

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 03:29:46 PM »
Yes it's a new engine, first time ran. Didn't mess with the low needle TT says it should be in the ball park but we know how that goes. The spray bar is a spigot and the low speed needle is probably at least 1/16 inch away from the end of the spigot when the carb is full open. High speed needle is way before the spigot and don't see how the low speed needle could mess with it.

Have another new engine and have a spare carb coming from another club member. Will be completely disassembling one of the carbs to see exactly how it feeds and also to see if I can't somehow install a low speed throttle stop screw. Looks like we will have 4 club members running this engine in fun carrier and none of us want to have to purchase another carb.

That first part where you said that TT said the low was in the ball park, and earlier when you said that TT recomends 2.5 turns out on the high end, you have to remember that usually their suggestions are with muffler pressure and you are trying to run suction.  EVERYTHING will need to be opened when you have less fuel pressure. I have had the same problem you are describing although not with the same engine.  I would suggest probably start at least 1.5 turns out maybe even 2 and work it in in about 1/8 of a turn at a time.

Actually first I would set everything to the factory settings with the muffler on and run it there like Clancy said to make sure everything works and for break in. Then if you want to run with out a muffler I would probably start 2 turns out on idle and probably 3.5 to 4 out on the high end, that should be on the rich side but rich is better than lean.

When you start with out the muffler I would start on idle and get it set first.  Start it and hold it there, if it dies and you have to prime it quite a bit to restart then the idle is too lean and if it is flooded then, you know, too rich. Once you have the idle set then that is one less variable to mess with on the high end. Good luck hope this helps.

David

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 09:10:56 AM »
Thanks David, Looks like the rain may give us a break today and can get the engine back on the test stand. Would guess the tips posted about the low speed needle being set too lean are right on. I checked the TT instructions and they don't say one way or the other about muffler pressure but what you are saying makes sense.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 10:12:15 AM »
An engine that won't go rich, if all the fuel passages are clear, could be leaking around any of the gaskets, also.  Backplate, head gasket, carb gasket and neck, any carb fittings, glow plug seal (and center post) are all suspect.  Many of the modern carbs have little gaskets where fuel nipples screw in, o-rings around the needle valve(s) or in the needle valve housings too.

Also, just the other night, I had an intermittently lean/rich needle setting - pulling the fuel nipple off near the high speed needle, and out of the chamber came a small blade of grass or some other vegetation that must have been floating in the chamber and sometimes obstructing, other times not.  Could even be just some old congealed castor in there.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 03:10:59 PM »
Sticking a muffler on and running pressure straightened it right out..

Without muffler pressure I was able to get in the ball park by opening up the low speed needle but still had to run the high speed needle almost all the way out.  Lee brought his engine over and we had the same results with both. The stock carb must be sized to run with muffler pressure as once we hooked up the pressure line it became easy to adjust and acted more like expected.

Lee is off to make a muffler and I'm going to order a tongue muffler from Brodak. Next idea is providing just enough back pressure to make the carb happy without restricting the engine more than necessary.

david smith

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 09:58:59 PM »
Check out the pressure setup I have on my Seafire.  Just a piece of aluminum with a pressure fitting and it picks up fuel whether level or at 90 deg. On the ground It will start to sag when the tank gets low but as long as it is in the air and moving it picks up very well until it is out of fuel.  The pick up in the tank is ~17 inches away from the fuel nipple on the carb.  The plate on the port is just big enough to get the pressure fitting in the exhaust but not so big that it is restrictive.  I havent noticed any performance gain or loss in the engine with the plate on there.  The only reason I put the tank so far back was to help balence the plane out with that big 61 on there and it didnt fit that well when it was up farther.

David

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 02:52:19 AM »
Wow, that is the exact same idea Lee came up with yesterday when we were messing around, we doubted it would work and kinda went on with the tongue muffler idea. It's so easy to do I'll for sure try it before doing anything else.

Thanks...

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 08:29:14 AM »
One thing to remember here -- in Profile class, you can use the muffler if you also use the "Standard" 10% fuel supplied by the contest but you can't use muffler pressure nor even David's 'exhaust' pressure rig (at least by my reading of the current rules --

"3.3.1. The engines in the Profile Navy Carrier event shall have a maximum total displacement of .3661 cubic inch. Two-stroke cycle engines must be of the front-intake type. No pressure fuel systems will be permitted; however, the vents in the tank may be pointed forward in the air stream."

(Nowhere in the paragraph pertaining to 'exhaust system length' does it qualify THIS paragraph to allow muffler pressure in Profile Class).

I note that Eric changes out the stock carb for a Perry - that might be the best solution.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 09:19:41 AM »
Thanks Mike appreciate the rules info. We will take it under advisement but we are making this a fun thing and it's doubtfull any of us will ever compete except amongst ourselves.

I can understand why the no pressure rule but muffler pressure isn't in the same ballpark as a bladder or crank case pressure. I can also understand why TT is marketing an RC engine that really needs muffler pressure to run properly, most bang for the buck. We are stuck with the problem have to work with it or spend more money on something that might get flown a couple weekends a year. Not sure what a Perry carb costs but putting a $40.00 carb on a $80.00 engine ain't gonna happen.

david smith

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 10:34:20 AM »
Im sorry for some reason I didnt put 2 and 2 together about running a 36 an it being on a profile. I guess I was just excited to show my setup on my class 2 because I was suprised that it actually worked.

David

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 10:51:51 AM »
Thanks Mike appreciate the rules info. We will take it under advisement but we are making this a fun thing and it's doubtfull any of us will ever compete except amongst ourselves.

I can understand why the no pressure rule but muffler pressure isn't in the same ballpark as a bladder or crank case pressure. I can also understand why TT is marketing an RC engine that really needs muffler pressure to run properly, most bang for the buck. We are stuck with the problem have to work with it or spend more money on something that might get flown a couple weekends a year. Not sure what a Perry carb costs but putting a $40.00 carb on a $80.00 engine ain't gonna happen.

I can relate -- if it's just for local stuff, then go for it -- I would just hate to see someone put a lot of time and effort into getting a setup running which would be disallowed at the first contest he took it to.  I agree that muffler pressure is 'not in the same ballpark' but your experience illustrates the fact that even muffler pressure lets a larger bore carb be used than straight suction would.  If you mount the tank on the inboard side of the fuse, you would also probably be able run this without the pressure line and then you could run it at any contest.  As for a $40 Perry carb, most of my carbs came off of RC motors that have been converted to control line, so watch for a used engine that has a decent carb and you will probably be good to go.  Or run a want-ad in the Classifieds section here on Stunthanger - I'll bet there are HUNDREDS of carbs laying in drawers of those who frequent this board.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »
You were absolutely right in bringing our attention to the no pressure rule, as we all know most don't read the rules and you could have saved an embarrassing situation.

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 08:51:12 PM »
Bob Reeves and I did a bit of engine runs again today.  Bob used his pressure setup, much like Davids in the previous post.  I made a tongue muffler/pressure setup for mine.  Both ran very good on high and on low speeds.  We still have a bit on tweekin' to do, but will probably wait for air time to fine tune.
Lee TGD
AMA791773CD

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 11:43:31 AM »
Just a random input here. Some people here in California have been running TT 36's in carrier and they told me that on the newer versions of the motor and carb they have to run the needle way out, almost falling out. They actually put a piece of tubing over the needle assembly to make sure it doesn't vibrate loose.

Don't know if this will help but thought I'd post anyway.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
Quote from a long ago contest where a friend decided to physically trim the end of the needle valve because he couldn't get it to run right --

"Dang - I've trimmed it three times and it's STILL too short .... "

LL~
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here