News:

• May 05, 2024, 03:14:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: three questions or more?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
three questions or more?
« on: February 26, 2009, 02:46:25 PM »
     OK Mark, I think I counted maybe 7 questions, maybe. Now you will find out how dumb I can be on soom subjects. First off I really don't have a good handle on what a 5.8 is? I'm thinking that it is the same engine that they use in some racing events? I think I had one way back when I was trying to fly RC, it was made by K&B and may have been loop scavenged? Well anyway if its that engine it should work OK as the one I had throttled pretty good and was pretty powerful to boot.
     I started with a Webra (I broke the K&B in a crash) 32, then a Webra 36 then on to a Nelson. I did this over a 2 year period and it has been pretty much Nelson sense then although I have 3 Thunder Tiger Pro 36s that I use in my for fun carrier planes and have found it to be a great little engine (now that you cant buy them new anymore). If you are comfortable with the 5.8 then it should be fine. I trust the one you have has a throttle on it?
     Now as far as planes go I'm not much of a fan of the Nostalgia planes. I find it very painful to watch the Nostalgia planes fly and then when they try to land them it kinda turns into a dive bombing event (the deck being the target and the plane the bomb. I think one of the better people to ask about Nostalgia is Mike Potter up in the north west. He has quite a few nostalgia planes and has flow most of them a time or two. Nostalgia and AMA Profile don't have all that much in common. You mentioned the Brodak Bearcat which I think is one of the pettiest planes around and is a genuine nostalgia plane. I have seen several of these planes fly carrier and none of them were equipped with a slider and ALL of them were damaged everytime they tried to land them on the deck (not my cup of tea).
     Now as far as AMA Profile Carrier is concerned a good learner plane would be the MO-1 (don't throw rocks at me) as it is easy to build, easy to repair, and fairly easy to fly. As you must know by now there are not any kits on the market (other than the Brodak Guardian) for carrier planes. There are plans for the MO-1 in built up form and in foam wing form. I have plans for Dick Perry's MO-1 (built up) which is an excellent carrier plane which I used the first 4 years I was in carrier. The other foam wing MO-1 is a design by Bill Bischoff which he won several nationals with, also a very good plane and I have the plans for it. These planes are very straight foreward in there construction and everything is hanging out in the slip stream so you can see it all.
     I'm going to have to stop for now and look up some info on the bell-cranks so will continue this later today or tomarrow. eric

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: three questions or more?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 04:02:26 PM »
Thanks, I am watching,,
I am curious though why all nostalgia planes crash on every landing,, or uh, in your observation they do,, is that because they cant "hang" ?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »
     OK Mark, I think I counted maybe 7 questions, maybe. Now you will find out how dumb I can be on soom subjects. First off I really don't have a good handle on what a 5.8 is? I'm thinking that it is the same engine that they use in some racing events? I think I had one way back when I was trying to fly RC, it was made by K&B and may have been loop scavenged? Well anyway if its that engine it should work OK as the one I had throttled pretty good and was pretty powerful to boot.
     eric

No the 5.8 is Schneurle, ABC.  They were made in 4.9, 5.8 and 6.5 cc. models.  Also, both front and rear intake.  IIR, there were also some 6.6 conversion piston/liner sets floating around, so that you could fly class 1 and class 2 with the same design plane.  In profile, you can plug in an OS 4b carb and you are ready to fly.

The loop scavenged engine was the K&B .35 plain bearing, that was very similar to the K&B .40s that were so popular.  It was brought out mainly for slow rat and slow combat (when those events had to be plain bearing) but never really caught on.  It was a ringed engine.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »
Its a front intake, rear exhaust engine, built like a tank too.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:14:23 PM »
    Well I sent a reply (a big reply) and I got this message that another message had come in and maybe I better review it and so on and so forth and my sent reply turned into smoke I guess. I really wish that message didn't exist as I have lost many replies that Ive sent in the past. so I'll take this up tomarrow. eric

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 08:30:38 PM »
eRIC,
I had that happen a lot too, but if you look when it says that message and all you have to do is hit post again and it goes through. what happened to me is that I would not see that  message and close the window,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:31:53 PM »
Mark,

You want a GS (now Brodak) Bearcat and a K&B 5.8...  Coming right up...

I moved the LG to the fuselage because the wing mounted LG break when you hit the deck.  I built a straight wing because I didn't want to deal with dihedral.  I put the bellcrank and leadouts external because it was easier.  Don't like the idea of a slider use a fixed leadout guide.  

This model will easily hang above 45 degrees.  Get it too high and stall the wing and you can get a classic over the top spin entry and up to 2 turns in the spin before it hits the ground.  The CG is far enough back that the spin usually goes flat and the model almost hits in a three point stance on the LG.

A K&B won't outrun a Nelson.  But properly setup the only other engine it isn't likely to outrun is Pete Mazur's OS 36 FSR.  

Go for it.

Dave

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 09:09:11 PM »
Mark said:

there are at least three questions that I have tried to get answered, so take a stab at them,, I was looking for something I can fly in nostalgia, and profile,, possibly the brodak bearcat? like i say I have the 5.8 for power,, its there, Iam using it unless someone gives me a truly compelling reason not to,, but now, bellcrank? tailhook? which way to set throttle, pull push high speed? or maybe I should just wait another year,,,,,

OK Mark, here's my 2 cents worth. The Brodak Bearcat is a reasonable plane to use for carrier. I have not built one but others have. It would work for both nostalgia and profile. You just can't have a line slider in nostalgia.

I am not familiar with the 5.8 so I can't pass judgement on that motor. I do know they were pretty strong though.

Bellcrank, it depends on the layout of the model and what size you want. I use the full sized Brodak bellcranks on my profile models ( I think Eric uses the smaller ones and he knows what he's doing). Inverted or not depending on the layout. You want the throttle arm at the forward side. Look in the Brodak catalog and see what fits.

Tailhook, it can't be longer than 1/3 of the length of the fuselage. It needs a real sturdy mount/pivot for tough landings. The method used to hold then drop the hook is hard to describe in words. I could send you a picture or a drawing if you would want that. The hook itself should have a sharp bend, 30 to 40 degrees included angle. If it is too wide open it will not always catch and hang onto a rope on the deck.

Push or pull throttle is what feels right to you. I did some RC car racing before I did carrier and found that pull for high speed felt right. I know of some others that use the opposite travel. I guess it's what you feel most natural and learn with.

One last thought. I tend to agree with Eric about nostalgia. I have seen some very pretty planes crashed trying to make a landing. Without hanging the plane the approach speed makes it very difficult to "land" on the deck. It is kind of a dive and hope situation. Even 15 carrier with a fixed line position can be slowed much more and make the landing much more manageable. When you think about it hanging is not realistic flight but trying to land at high speed (compared to a nose up attitude low speed) is not realistic either. I enjoy the challenge of trying to hang the plane and getting it work. Others may not agree. It's a hobby! Enjoy it for what it is or try something different, there's lots of options.
Bob Frogner

david smith

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 09:38:13 PM »
        Hi Mark that k&b 5.8 with a os 4bk carb like Mike was saying will work very well. I have one on my spearfish running a 9-8 apc or a 9-7 taipan on 60% nitro fuel.  Its good for a consistent 17.9 sec high speed with the 9-8 and almost a 3 min low.   I also have a 5.8 with a carb for a rossi 40 that runs pretty good. 
        As much as I hate to agree with Eric on the mo1 he is right about the ease of building and repair.  The brodak guardian is a very good flying airplane and I would beef up the bellcrank mount. There are some other mods you can make but it flies great as is.  Brodak makes 5 or 6 other kits that could be used for carrier or you could go with just a skyray 35 and add a hook and throttle. That is what I learned to fly carrier with.
        I use brodak bellcranks and Im not sure if any body else makes a 3 line setup unles you make your own.  I think most people use the pull for full throttle and push for low.  I added a couple of pics of my tail hook set up sorry about the one pic with all the light.

Oh well thats all I can think of for now.  Its time for bed.
David

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 09:13:42 AM »
I wasn't gonna jump in here but I've got to get my 2 cents worth regarding non-prop hanging type landings.  With the proper technique realistic,non-dive bomb approaches are very easy to accomplish.  Slow the plane down to establish a stable low speed - this may be slightly higher than what was used during slow flight. Establish deck alignment and when you intercept the desired approach angle (usually about 15' from the end of the deck)...reduce or chop the throttle and adjust the elevator to maintain a a nose up attitude. A properly trimmed model will glide onto the deck and touch down in a three point attitude, often with the engine still running even after the touchdown.  Using this technique a 100 pt non-deck diving landing is almost automatic. If aircraft touches down beyond the arresting cables go-arounds are very do-able. 

I taught my son to land this way and he used it to become WAM junior champ two years in a row..beating many more experienced fliers in the process.  Other non-carrier (stunt) fliers  have tried it using one of my planes and in most cases, have made a successful trapped landing on their first attempt.  I'm not knocking prop hanging here, it has its place.  I just take exception to the perception that Nostalgia Carrier and non-prop hanging landings have to be deck diving, kamikazee affairs.  Also, I can't take credit for this technique.  It was explaned to me many years ago by Tony Naccarato and it works!  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 11:26:28 AM »
     Maybe I will just hit the Post twice on my replies as I don't see the "another message" either? Man it looks like you have all kinds of information flowing into this topic. It is interesting to see the different ways you can go about this event. I pretty much started carrier in a vacuum and to this day I don't have any carrier fliers that I fly with. I do have a lot of carrier fliers that correspond with me and I with them. I very pleased to say that some of these guys will ask a question and I will answer it and a little while later I will get this message that starts out "Thats interesting, but have you ever thought about doing it this way" and I get this whole new idea of how to do something.
     So anyway I think the 5.8 thing has been pretty well covered although I still don't know what size it is 5.8 (.35 or .40)? Looks like you got some ideas on Nostalgia planes. I think there is a big difference between AMA Profile Carrier and Nostalgia Profile Carrier. I know that some of the carrier fliers will lock their sliders and enter their AMA Carrier planes in the Nostalgia class (which I feel ruins the whole Nostalgia thing) giving up I think 40 points right off the Bat but they will almost always win because the newer planes are easier to fly.
     I found Pete's take on landing with Nostalgia planes interesting. He did describe the desired deck landing that we all hope for (a letter perfect description) but seldom get. Tony would sure know the best way to execute the Nostalgia carrier landing and I'm sure would be able to teach another person how to do it. Now having said that (there's always a catch) I'll elaborate on how I see the Nostalgia landing take place.
     Pete really described the perfect landing so I'll try the same here with the not so perfect landing. I see the Nostalgia pilots flying the HS section of the event and then throttling back for there LS portion and thats when the trouble begins. The plane slows down but not nearly as much as it should to be scale so you are going faster than what is desired. When your 7 laps of LS are over and your deciding on where the deck is and if there will be any help from the wind your attention has drifted away from flying your plane so it has usually increased its speed slightly (the last thing you need at this time).
     So now you have decided to land in the trap area (which seems to have shrunk) so you slow the plane down again and as you approach the deck (at to low an altitude) you give it a little bobble (the tail goes up along with the hook) and the plane instead of slowing actually speeds up a little (totally unlike Pete's description of how it should be done) and you find you have passed over the trap area completely. After doing this for a couple more go arounds you give the signal to land (you got to do it some time) and usually the whole story starts over only this time your under the gun because you have signaled for the landing.
     So the the bobble turns into a little dive (not much of one because you are so low) and things go from bad to worse. If you are lucky you may hit the deck a couple of times with out a hook up (the tail and hook are to high and besides your already past the trap) and thank god you have come down in the water of the bow (happens a lot) so you just keep trying and then bang, you hit the deck hard enough that the plane flattened out (along with the landing) and the hook actually got one of the arresting wires. Wow another successful landing?
     Now if you would have done like Pete described you would have hooked up on the first try. Does the word "Practice ring a bell" I sure hope it does because that is what it will take to do it Pete's way. Practice and a good plane with some washout in the wing tips and Practice along with some more Practice (get the picture).
     The hang with the AMA planes makes it so simple it looks like crap. I try to do my landings from a higher altitude and bring the plane down on an angle to the deck. When the pressure is really on though I come around in the full hang and crap it onto the deck. If I practiced more I could get my landing to look quite nice but you know how that goes, Practice? eric

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 01:55:35 PM »
K&B metric series engines:

3.5cc = 0.21 cu in
4.9cc = 0.29 cu in
5.8cc = 0.35 cu in
6.5cc = 0.40 cu in
7.5cc = 0.46 cu in
11cc = 0.67 cu in

If you actually measure the engines they are usually slightly undersized.  They were designed so the liner from one size did not fit in the case of a different displacement (you couldn't drop a 6.5 liner in the 4.9 case).

There were also 3.2cc (0.19 cu in), a 6.6cc (just a little larger than a 0.40 cu in), and a few 10.6cc (0.65 cu in) engines produced. 

So what you see is an artifact of the boundaries between the Free flight A, B, C, and D engine classes where it was common at one time to swap the engine in the model and fly a second class without needing to trim the model for the different engine (shades of Cox 0.049 / 0.051).  The engines that don't fit that pattern are the 5.8cc, 7.5cc, and 11cc engines.  The 5.8 worked well for Slo Rat and Profile Navy Carrier.  Before ball bearing engines were allowed in Profile navy Carrier I converted a 5.8 to plain bearing and ran it for several years.  The 7.5cc engine was used for ducted fans and there was a version for marine usage.  The 11cc engine was for ducted fan and marine usage.  The 10.6cc engine was built by Bill W for D Speed.

The 4.9 and 5.8 engines all date before 1980.  The 3.5, 6.5, and 7.5 stayed in production much longer.  You will find some of the latest 3.5, 6.5, and 7.5 engines with CNC machined front ends on the case.  The factory figured out it was cheaper (and better) to crank the limited number needed out on a CNC machine rather than doing another casting run.

probably more than you wanted to know.   y1

Dave

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 06:20:44 PM »
The 5.8 was the choice in the eighties and some really had them running well. you will see some go on ebay and they get a pretty good buck for them today.  If you don't have the money for a nelson and want a really good running engine you can't beat the 5.8.  Yes, there were some others out there custom made but the 5.8 k&B held its own. I've seen some with os carb and some running with perry carbs
AMA 13001

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 07:22:48 PM »
Yup, like everything else practice makes perfect, or at least pretty good.  The deck diving that often accompanies a Nostalgia style approach occurs when a pilot mis-judges the glide path and realizes that the model will touch down past the arresting lines.  Instead of initiating a go-around or touch and go, taking the missed landing penalty and coming around for a second approach, he (or she) chooses to apply down elevator and dives for the deck.  I guess the hope is that somehow the tail hook will snag a line during the crash sequence so the pilot can argue that it was a successful arrested landing. The event really doesn't have to be flown that way...too bad it often is.   
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 09:13:44 AM »
My first Profile was a GS Bearcat built stock except for a slider which had limited movement because it was in the wing tip, which has a fairly small chord. It flew very well and I loved it. I highly recommend it (I am assuming the Brodak version is basically the same as the GS version.) On windy days, I did the "crash on the deck" approach but never broke out the landing gear, so it couldn't have been too crash-like. On calmer days, the gentle landing approach was fine. But anything but the calmest days tended to require the diving-crash approach because the airplane is so clean it just would not slow down after the downwind leg enough to go into a nose-high attitude before landing. This was particularly a problem because, back then, we would put the deck directly downwind of the circle center, making it really impossible to get the airplane slowed down for landing. Now, at least around here, we have put the deck so that we are actually landing into the wind, and missed landings have become pretty rare. It really makes a difference, whether you are makiing a hanging landing or a three-point gliding landing. Even the diving crashes are better. We don't have take-off problems with this deck position either. After the rules change in 1976, people started putting the wing-tip weight back in the airplanes. Even one ounce was more than enough to keep the outboard wing lagging on takeoff and the lines tight. (Pre-1976, with no wing tip weight to save every ounce in order to maximize high speed with little regard for the low speed, the little bitty airplanes with great big engines sometimes would torque in. But that's history.)
Pete

Joejust

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Mark S. Please look at my posting on the Black hawk thread for an answser to your concerns.
Joe

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 07:14:55 AM »
This is a great thread, good reading and good information. I've noticed a lot of Nostalgia airplanes do have approach and landing problems, moreso than a "prop hanging" type airplane. But I've seen some beautiful approaches, realistic approaches, too. One was Doc Holiday's Profile plane, the Brodak with Bill Calkin's modifications. The long nose planes like Corsairs made it impossible for pilots to see the deck to land with a straight-in approach, they had to learn to arc the approach into the deck, looking out the side, rolling out just before they caught the wire. Control line planes arc into the deck all the time, and Doc's was just perfect that day.

When I land, I do not watch the airplane once I establish an approach angle . I focus on the target, just like flying combat, where you watch the other guy's streamer. Then I just pass the handle through the target, the plane is just flown through the target. Peripheral vision will see the plane. It is a practised skill, but I think just about anyone can do it.  Balloon bustin' works the same way, keeping your eye on the balloon and passing the airplane through it. If you wait until you are close or over the deck to try to land on it, it's just too late. I don't think I've made this very clear, hopefully the idea comes across.

I'm thinking  perhaps a rich running Ringmaster type plane, with the prop on backwards and an arresting hook would make a good trainer just for the appoach and landing?  The wing probably is too large (too much lift) so maybe an old Quickie Rat would make a good trainer for this? Save some of those good looking ships.

I was thinking again, when bringing a racer in to the pits, I also focus on the pit, not the plane so much. It works every time, except for once when I was focusing on the wrong pit. The Rolleys seemed quite surprised when the wrong plane pulled in for fuel.           dg     
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:58:27 AM by dale gleason »

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »
     I'm going to have to take back some of my comments about Nostalgia planes crashing or being damaged on landings (well at least for Nostalgia Profile carrier planes). I was at the Northwest Regional contest held in Eugene OR a couple of weeks ago and there was 3 or 4 Nostalgia Profile carrier planes entered in Profile Nostalgia carrier. These planes were all well flown by their pilots and the landings were landings, not the crash and burn that I have seen on occasion. I was quite impressed to say the least. I think there was only one go around that I can remember and that was after each plane put in 2 official flights apiece.
     I was standing close the deck (timer) as these planes came in for their landings and I would almost swear that they hooked up a split second before their landing gear touched the deck, it was so quiet. It certainly wasn't the bang that I have come to associate with Nostalgia landings. The planes were an AD Skyraider, Boeing F4B-3 (a Joe DeMarco I think), Mo-Bipe, and I think one more but I cant remember what it was.
     Again, I was really impressed and apologize to one and all as now I know at least the profiles can be landed quite well. Now if I can make some time available I may just build a Nostalgia profile and use my Green head to power it.  eric

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 08:58:36 AM »
This has been fun reading.  I still have the G-S Bearcat and the Brodak Gaurdian which is actually box stock.  After crashing the Gaurdian numerous times I have finally put a catch in the wing for when the slider goes back.  The Bearcat was and is the most fun to fly.  I do not try to hang them with the exception of the Gaurdian.  Do have a SIG SkyRay in the process of being built.  More later,  Having fun,  DOC Holliday

PS:Eric I am still looking at the plans for the Corsair, but, may have my construction.  jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here