News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:46:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: the deck  (Read 763 times)

Offline roger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
the deck
« on: June 24, 2009, 11:08:28 AM »
ive never seen the deck at the brodak meet dose any body have a picture of it or is there not one at all? or is it just laid out? Z@@ZZZ %^@

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: the deck
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:31:11 AM »
Sorry, I don't have a pitcher, but it's a genuine raised deck with no island at The Brodak.

Looks to me like 2 x 4's on edge with a 3/4" plywood surface. 

The flush decks take away something from the intent.  You have to come in higher and miss the first few lines to keep from hitting the ground.  OK, it's only about 5", but it does make a dif.

With a genine raised deck a "ramp strike" is obvious.  With an outline laid on on concrete, hitting short is not so obvious.

Furthermore the genuine deck is a LOT softer than concrete and not so hard on the equipment. 
Paul Smith

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 11:43:30 AM »
looks like some of us need to build a really nice one H^^ #^

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 01:32:04 PM »
and the more i think about it you are right right right. y1 lets gets going guys lets try to bring back the carrier like never b4 im willing to help all i can R%%%%

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:40:08 PM »
the Brits set up their deck on 5 gal buckets. 

Tom Wilk

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 08:32:42 PM »
well the brits were allways strange any way LL~

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:54:40 AM »
Paul, when the deck is laid out on the flat surface like a paved circle, it is very easy to see when the plane comes up short.  There is a streamer laid/stretched out at the stern.  We did it for years when I was flying carrier every weekend, as well as Rat, Combat and balloon burst.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 01:37:24 PM »
I believe the Brits require the deck to be a least 1 foot above grade.  A really good idea, but very complicating to setups.  Somebody has to haul the stuff and store the stuff.  Here in LA we have two permanent installations that are at ground level.  Very hard to judge splashing on takeoff and landing.

I think the Brits also use 30 deg instead of 60 deg flight angle, makes for a LOT more realistic flight, IMO.  I think there are too many participants who are comfortable with the "hanging process" who aren't really interested in making a change over here however.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »
I would go for 30 deg max, in a heartbeat because I think its tougher and more realistic. I don't begrudge the 60 deg fliers at all but the stall just doesnt look good. BTW if the 60 deg is so wonderful whats the deal with 7 warnings "I believe" before DQ. I also remember back in the day that the wind was at your back when the landing manuever was being done and I see that the deck into the wind is the correct way now. I bet that evolved with the "hang". Inquiring minds want to know. If we had a 30 deg max today how would the airplanes look? We still need the answer to the simple lightweight deck question. BTW I am having fun getting back into carrier.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »
     I cant vouch for how it us to be done because I started flying carrier in the early 90s. When I started the hang was there (part of the rules) so thats what I flew as it was part of the competion for the event. It wouldn't have made any difference to me what the angle was, I wanted to fly the Navy Carrier event. So if the rules were changed to 30 degrees it would be OK by me. I don't think the planes would change at all, they would still be flying the LS below their stall speed, we would still have to have the inside judge to police the angle of attack, and the only big change would be that the event would be over quicker in a "no wind situation".
     The rules say (11.2.1.2) that the plane shall not exceed a 60 degree nose high attitude except for momentary inadvertent deviations. If the plane does exceed the 60 degree attitude the contestant will be notified immediately and must correct the model's attitude immediately, failure to do so shall result in loss of LS score. The fourth notification shall result in loss of the LS points. How soon is immediately, about as long as it takes to say it (my thoughts).
     When I started flying this event in the early 90s there was nothing in the rules that said anything about where the deck should be located in the circle. I don't think that I've been in a contest yet that the wind didn't change over the time that the contest was on and I usually got a variety of landing situations. I don't care much for the wind on my back approach as that means that the plane is flying down wind just before I have to make my landing.
     I've read those rules over and over again (I have a very short memory) and it still surprises me how much there is to work with and understand.   eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 05:27:37 PM »
I'm like Eric, I started after the 60 degree rule was instituted and find it OK. I think a 30 degree limit would be harder to judge and much harder to fly. It really wouldn't be in a hang it would be just about at the stall angle and thus be hard to maintain. Not having tried it I am only guessing.

The three warnings is just what is in the rules. It's my guess that 3 is the number to give a little leeway in windy conditions. It's easy to do if your caught with a gust. With a couple of warnings you don't have to be perfect. I know for me after I get the second warning I'm really careful and probably revert to a very  cautious flight after that (that means I don't even flirt with 60 degrees).

As far as deck position I can understand in nostalgia you might want the deck set up with the wind at your back. Fly around the circle and cut the power over the deck. With the wind at your back you have max line tension. With the current rules (the only rules I have flown under) I know I really appreciate it when the landing approach is into the wind. That way you can come down wind fairly flat (if needed to keep the plane flying) then drop the tail and get it in a hang so the landing can be soft. At contests where the wind changed and the landing approach was farther into the wind the plane tends to balloon as you approach the wind in your face direction and its really hard to get the plane on the deck. With the wind at your back the plane is not flying very well at low speed and wants to fall out of the sky. This makes landings very difficult too.

Just my 2 cents!!!!
Bob Frogner

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here