News:

• May 08, 2024, 06:51:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tail Hook Shape?  (Read 830 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Tail Hook Shape?
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:37:53 AM »
Have seen many different shapes of tail hook "hooks" and wondering if a specific shape has risen to the top so to speak? Drawings or photos would be really nice...

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: Tail Hook Shape?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:21:48 AM »
Let me start with a disclaimer: This is my opinion. Others will no doubt differ. I think that the actual shape of the hook is not terribly important. Mostly just make it fit the airplane. To me the important thing is the part where the hook contacts the ground. If the tip of the hook has too much forward angle to it, it could catch on a joint in the deck rather than an arresting line. If the tip of the hook is actually angled backward, the hook could drag across the arresting lines without grabbing one. I try to have the very tip of the hook contact the ground basically perpendicular to the surface. I also like to add a small locking wire that keeps the arresting line captured. This is evident in the first photo. The second photo shows a hook before the locking wire has been installed.

One other piece of info that may help. It is common practice to stop the hook at 30 degrees of downward angle. this way, it provides a visual reference when then the airplane is hanging at 60 degrees because the hook will be vertical.
This is only important if you are trying to maintain a "maximum hang".

Hope this is helpful.     Bill

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:15:07 PM »
I have used the shape that Bill shows for years, going so far as to re-bend a few hooks to this shape. The only thing I add is a slight bend about an inch below the pivot. I feel this adds a little cushion during a landing as the hook straightens out before transferring the load to the pivot. If you hang at lowspeed, probably not necessary but if you land at speed as was done back in the day, it may not be a bad idea.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »
Me too!
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:43:56 PM »
The hook shape may not matter, but how it hits the deck (due to your landing style) does matter. I have helped a lot of flyers get the angle of the hook correct so it reliably snags a line. I use a simple angle bend for the hook with a safety pin type wire to make sure the line stays hooked. The hook is set up to have a slight down angle relative to my normal landing angle

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 07:47:26 PM »
John, you always use 1/8 wire on the hook for everything except .15?
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 08:17:09 PM »
Wayne,
Actually I use it on everything. On a few of my early models I used 3/32 and it wasn't strong enough. It might be OK for 15's,  but I find that I usually need tail weight anyway to get the balance right, so why not use the 1/8. I have one 15 which even uses a 1/8 wire pushrod.
john

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »
I have always found 3/32" adequate, even for 60 powered Class 2 ships. My 15's use 1/16". But if you need the weight, why not?

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 05:18:22 AM »
Wayne,
Actually I use it on everything. On a few of my early models I used 3/32 and it wasn't strong enough. It might be OK for 15's,  but I find that I usually need tail weight anyway to get the balance right, so why not use the 1/8. I have one 15 which even uses a 1/8 wire pushrod.
john

Good tip.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 10:48:45 AM »
Bill,
3/32 works for you because you land like a feather. (sting like a Bee? )  My class I and II's land a bit faster and will straiten a 3/32 hook.
John

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 11:12:28 AM »
Lots of great info, thanks guys.. Getting ready to bend a few tail hooks for the 15 size FJ's. I like the small safety pin wire catch and used it on the big FJ-4. Will probably use Bill's shape but with John's safety pin wire catch. Best of both  ;D

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
Bill,
3/32 works for you because you land like a feather. (sting like a Bee? )  My class I and II's land a bit faster and will straiten a 3/32 hook.
John
I also float like a butterfly! At one NATS, Dick Perry was taking a picture of one of my planes in slow flight, and later related that a butterfly flew through the frame, and passed my airplane!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here