News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sterling Skyshark  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Sterling Skyshark
« on: February 21, 2007, 07:44:54 AM »
Thanks to one of the great members here, I have tracings of the kit and plans.  What needs to be done to this one to make it "Profile Legal"?

I am beginning to "Train" on an old Dumas Corsair II and an OS 40LA, this is because this is what I have!  The other "R/C" (carb equipped) engine I have is an OS 25 FSR.  At least I can "practice" with the three line and make some catch wires!

Thanks!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Re: Sterling Skyshark
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:09:55 AM »
You'll need to check the wing area. Profile requires 300 sq in, I think the Skyshark is slightly smaller.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 05:35:08 PM »
Ken is correct about the 300 sq in size but that is for AMA profile. Nostalgia carrier is not an AMA event so this rule does not apply.That rule came along a few years after the profile event started. As a matter of fact if one was to increase the wing area on this model that would make it unlike the kit and DQ it.  Mike
mike potter

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 07:25:01 PM »
The Skyshark has about a 217 sq. in. wing. I made one AMA Profile legal by adding very broad trailing edge "flaps". That bit of backyard re-engineering made the plane a real pig for slow flight.

I did fly a stock version at the Olathe NATS in Sr. Class I. Sterling gave contingency awards for top placing profile models in the Jr. & Sr. age groups. The only stipulation was that the model be powered by a .35. When Profile became a separate class the 300 sq. in. limit appeared. I'm told it was specifically aimed at the Skyshark since the Guardian was the Class II model de jour.

Bob Heywood
Dayton, OH
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:07:08 AM »
I put a second wing on mine to try keep it legal.  Called it a "Bi-Shark".  Bad idea, didn't fly good at all with the extra area.  Converted back.  My suggestion for a Skyshark is build it vintage style, fly it for fun or when Nostalgia carrier is offered.  It really is a good design and kind of cool if you include the movabel aileron, rudder, flaps, features that many modern designs live without.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here