News:

• May 01, 2024, 03:25:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sterling Skyshark  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Sterling Skyshark
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:02:03 PM »
Could someone remind me why the sterling skyshark is not use in carrier events anymore. I remember seeing them in the past (65'to 74'), also remember pictures of a Seattle meet where a 13 yearold  did well flying a 29 powered Stirling Skyshark (1965) Think it was in Model Airplane News.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: Sterling Skyshark
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:45:09 AM »
Frankly, I don't think I've ever seen one at a contest - going back to 1974 or so.  Reasons could be that it's a profile kit, so no scale points in Cl. 1 or Cl. 2, and I don't think it is quite 300 square inches, so not legal for profile.  I have (or had ???) one that I inherited partially built -- I thought it might make a decent .15 plane but would have been more work than it was worth to actually finish, and frankly, it may have gotten thrown away (I'm not at home right now, so I can't check it's whereabouts.).  I do know that the box and "plans" (typical Sterling -- more like instruction sheet) are down there.

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Joejust

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:22:33 AM »
I bgelieve that the Skyshark hs been used in the NW in .15 Carrier. I had a kit (very poor wood and diecutting) but ended up tossing it away as a lost cause. Perhaps I should have just sold the kit in the first place to a collector. There are much bertter planes/kits out there now, forget the Skyshark.
Joe

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 08:31:48 AM »
I bgelieve that the Skyshark hs been used in the NW in .15 Carrier. I had a kit (very poor wood and diecutting) but ended up tossing it away as a lost cause. Perhaps I should have just sold the kit in the first place to a collector. There are much bertter planes/kits out there now, forget the Skyshark.
Joe

LOL -- Yeah, as with most Sterling offerings, worth much more on Ebay than it's worth to actually build it.  On the other hand, at least for Carrier, Sterling was about the only source of kits at all.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »
I flew one back in the day.  Flew well too, powered by an OS-35S.  Liked all the features...flaps, ailerons, flip rudder.  I have a kit but as stated, poor wood, less than full sized plans.  I think it would still be worth building for the nostalgia factor and entering in Class 1.  Sure, it is 15 sized but I don't feel would be competitive in that class either.  Might as well put a bigger engine in it.  With get a good high speed, reasonable (non-prop hanging) low speed, 100 pt landing you might just take home a trophy...at a local contest anyway.  FWIW, one piece landing gear mounted to the plywood bellcrank platform is very sturdy, unlike many gear mounted designs of that era. Wing area too small for profile.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:16:18 AM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Joejust

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 03:24:29 PM »
Mike, what about the Sturdi-built kits, Consolidated, Ed's Garage? Don't forget the j-Roberts kits that are still be offered by Brodak.  There were a few other han Sterling.
Joe

PS my computer wizzard will be signing me up vai your recent attachment to me. y1

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 09:19:30 AM »
I still have my Sterling Skyshark that I built when it first came out.  Never flew it in competition as at the time I was flying scale carrier using the Sterling Gaurdian.  It was another Sterling kit that was produced before official rules were completed.  The other kit was the Ole Tiger scale racer.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 01:15:13 AM »
Could someone remind me why the sterling skyshark is not use in carrier events anymore. I remember seeing them in the past (65'to 74'), also remember pictures of a Seattle meet where a 13 yearold  did well flying a 29 powered Stirling Skyshark (1965) Think it was in Model Airplane News.

I'm not sure anyone answered your question, Gordon. I think it's because it isn't 300 sq in in wing area and that is the minimum for Profile Carrier, IIRC.
Chris...

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 02:23:26 PM »
Back in the early '70's I flew at Garden State Circle Burners contests in New Jersey. They regularly had an event, "non-scale Class 1" which was filled with Skysharks. One week they would have scale class 1, the next week non-scale (along with other events.) I was allowed to enter my scale Class 1's both times, I just didn't get the 100 point bonus for non-scale day. This did encourage participation by people who didn't have the time to build a scale model but enjoyed the higher performance (old rules, where fast was more important) of the scale classes. I moved out of the area about the time the rules changed, but suspect that the Skyshark eventually became less competitive and the event just faded away. Maybe an old GSCB member will recall this.
Pete

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
So what kind of "Proof of non-scale" did one have to show? LL~
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »

I'm not sure anyone answered your question, Gordon. I think it's because it isn't 300 sq in in wing area and that is the minimum for Profile Carrier, IIRC.
Chris...

That is why mine is sitting on the floor of the shop.  Not big enough(wing area) for profile.  No scale points because it is a profile.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 06:37:34 PM »
The Sterling Skyshark became obsolete during  a rules change for "Profile" Carrier due to its wing area, it's less than 300 sq. inches. It was designed by "The Deer Park Carrier Team" although I dont remember if that was a New York or Chicago based club. I started flying carrier in 1968 in the Cleveland area which along with Detroit, Chicago, Dayton and New York were hotbeds for Navy Carrier. I have a picture of Bob Heywood"s Skyshark flying at the 70 Glenview NATS in Profile Carrier I believe and if not Class 1 for sure. You could equip the Sterling Skyshark with flaps and aelerons, the aelerons were an added feature that showed up in the kits via a small sheet of paper as an addedum to the plans. It had a sketch to back up the instructions. Many showed up in Class 1 after the profile rules change but no scale bonus points of course. Story goest that Sterling new of the rules change pending but wouldn't redesign the kit because the change would be to costly. BTW I flew a Skyshark two or three years ago at the NATS in Nostalgia Class 1, no bonus points of course. It wasnt very pretty as I had not seriously touched a carrier ship in thirty years. If you are really intersted about the history of Navy Carrier, by all means contact Gary Hull, Bob Heywood or Rick Sawicki, they lived it.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 07:49:40 PM »
Hey guys....I am a retread and very interested in carrier...again.  I competed way back in the late 60's with a Skyshark that had a tired enya.29 and did ok...Doc Holiday was kind enough to send me a pristine Sterling Guardian kit to get me going again.  More than anything i'm just letting y'all know
I am out here in central Georgia...are there any Carrier guys around here?...in the state maybe?  Going to Brodak 09 so hopefully will meet some of the big boys then.  Would love some info on plans and stuff to get in gear.  Thanks.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 05:59:08 PM »
I competed in Sebring, Florida with a Skyshark and Enya .29 in 1969 at the Gator Nationals....average fast but great slow...managed a second place
as a 16 year old...and my 14 year old brother as my pitman...we still fly together some.  Here I am 40 years later and ready to compete again!!
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 08:21:06 PM »
I flew a Skyshark in CL I Senior at the 1967(?) Olathe NATS. Sterling offered a prize for the highest placing profile for both Juniors and Seniors. I won the Senior award.

I was very satisfied with the handling and performance of this model. It was easy to build and with that big centersection plate, extemely rugged.

The Shyshark Wayne mentioned was flown in Profile but I added extra wide fixed wing flaps to get op to 300 sq. in. The plane was a flop. I kept the kit stab & elevator. My wing mod threw the tail volume ratio all out of wack. A decent slow flight was impossible.

Bob Heywood
Dayton, OH
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 05:03:33 AM »
I flew a Skyshark in CL I Senior at the 1967(?) Olathe NATS. Sterling offered a prize for the highest placing profile for both Juniors and Seniors. I won the Senior award.

I was very satisfied with the handling and performance of this model. It was easy to build and with that big centersection plate, extemely rugged.

The Shyshark Wayne mentioned was flown in Profile but I added extra wide fixed wing flaps to get op to 300 sq. in. The plane was a flop. I kept the kit stab & elevator. My wing mod threw the tail volume ratio all out of wack. A decent slow flight was impossible.

Bob Heywood
Dayton, OH

Bob, glad you could chime in. Hope everything is going well. Any thoughts about putting a Profile Carrier ship together again?
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 09:01:40 AM »
HOW'S ABOUT A PICTURE OF THE BEAST?BOX AND ALL. y1 H^^

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 04:12:13 PM »
My Skyshark flew great, trophied often in Senior Profile Carrier.  Then the rules changed. I added a mid-wing to try to get up to the 300" (Bi-Shark?).  It was a bust, flew terrible.  Went back to the original configuration.  Plane disappeared when I went into the military.   :'(  I think a special "Skyshark" event would be cool, there's probably quite a few in boxes in closets or hanging in garages. Yup, I have a kit, nope, don't want to sell it.  <=
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 04:44:17 PM »
 mw~

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 08:01:14 PM »
E-Bay right now #^  120453955342 Go for it!
mike potter

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here