News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:47:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: sterling guardian internal workings  (Read 633 times)

Offline George Waters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
sterling guardian internal workings
« on: July 03, 2009, 08:37:38 PM »
I have sterling guardian that was setup for carrier flying many years ago. When you pull the third line to the lowspeed position, the tailhook drops as do the flaps and the rudder is pulled to the right by rubber bands. Theflaps drop down but do not seem to have any tension on them to keep them down. Does anyone have an idea what this plane's systems would look like as I don't want cut into it too much, though I will have to replace the rusty leaedout cables. I have an os maxh40 pylon rc motor that fits the mounts and all of the linkages and fuel line match up, even the cutouts for the needle valve and the exh port line up. If someone has apicture of the internal of this plane that you could post it would be much appreciated. I figure my investment is minimal as I have the motor  plane and handle already so it will be a cheap way to try carrier flying. Thankyou George Waters

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: sterling guardian internal workings
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 09:07:17 PM »
Without digging through the dank corners of the basement for the plans, it is probable that there was a spring or rubber band that pulls the hook down and thus tensions the flaps in the down position.  The spring loading of the hook is important because otherwise the hook can bounce over the arresting cables.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline George Waters

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:15:31 PM »
There is a spring on the hook that snaps it down and holds it down, I just don't feel one or  see one for the flaps.  I guess when I fix the leadouts I'll see what is inside. Thankyou. George

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 04:07:08 AM »
George, there has to be some sort of tension on the flaps, usually a spring. Maybe slipped off or broken. I know you don't want to cut the airplane but you will be better off understanding the control system anyhow. BTW some builders hooked the flaps to the hook also.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »
If I remember correctly after building several Sterling Guardians,  The flaps had a torsion hinge pin on the outboard tips that caused them to drop when the catch inside the plane was pulled by the throttle link.  You had to reset the hook by going back to full throttle while holding the hook up.  Then while holding the release pin at the hook you popped the flaps into place.  A person on this forum I know has the kit I sent him.  If he reads this maybe he can scan the plans and post them.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here