News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:24:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sterling C-9 Carrier Corsair ?  (Read 554 times)

Offline dankar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Sterling C-9 Carrier Corsair ?
« on: October 03, 2012, 08:49:26 AM »
Original version with metal cowl just wondered if anybody built one. Or better yet used one ? I picked this up at recent contest. Kit has parts removed from sheets and plywood parts redone. My Guardian kit I have had to replace plywood parts as sheets were very poor quality. I picked up a nice Mauler for class 2.  Did some minor touch up on paint but bird looks darn nice. I have Guardian under construction and now have Mauler. Plus have F-4 F profile and a good Class 1 bird.  The Corsair is a great looking Bird and wonder how they flew.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sterling C-9 Carrier Corsair ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:25:41 AM »
I used to fly the Sterling Corsair in Class I carrier with a K&B .40 rear rotor.  The last time I flew it, was perfect for me carrier weather.  Very little breeze if any.  I was concentrating so hard on low speed that I forgot to count laps.  It would not hang like an MO-1 because it was a little nose heavy and no slider.   Finally I noticed nobody was watching me.  I asked if low speed laps were done just as I ran out of fuel.  That K&B was a fuel hog.  It is not a good plane to fly in the wind if there is any. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »
Doc,
Intresting that it wasn't good in the wind. I've built the Sterling, but have built a couple of Cosairs over the years. They all flew well. I still have a Profile version and fly it time to time.
John

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:42:41 PM »
P.S.
This is the one I built, Published in FM about 1963 I think

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here