News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:17:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sportsman Proifile Carrier at the AMA Nats ???  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sportsman Proifile Carrier at the AMA Nats ???
« on: June 07, 2007, 10:03:39 AM »
Who's in charge ?

What rules ?

I was not able to find anything on either AMA's or NCS's web sites.

Is it "just like Brodak"?,,,,10% nitro and you can't enter if you fly the maid event?
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sportsman Proifile Carrier at the AMA Nats ???
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
Sports Man Carrier will be run at the same time as Profile Carrier if done as in the  past.  The person to contact is Melvin Schuette as he is the Navy Carrier Event Director this year.  That is why I will be at the NATS to run MBS Model Supply while he plays the bad guy this year.  He has a contact number at MBS Model Supply.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
Bob Frogner

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 08:57:12 PM »
In SoCal Sportsman contests, no sliders are allowed.  Our intent is to attract newcomers and not scare them off by complicating their first efforts with sliders. 

Joejust

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:09:41 AM »
Ron, perhaps your local stand is one reason that SCA has increased its participation in Carrier. Kudos! Without a influx of new people in this portion of the hobby it will quickly decline past what it is now; fading .  To point out the problem...When was the last "Rookie"  award handed out at the Nats?

On a better note, I am really pumped up with the NCS's idea of holding a postal contest as reported in the last Hi-Low bulletin.  I expect to push he new leaders of the NCS to take a good look at the "Perky" speed postal event hat is increasing in popularity. Their way of dealing with any "monkery wrench" padding of the high score is to award first place to the entrant that comes the closest to the average speed.  By using this codicil, there is little advantage of entering a unsubstantiated high score.

Would such an even make you a National Champion?  NAH, but it sure as heck could be a lot of fun!

Joe Just

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 08:02:17 PM »
I've entered (and won) SoCal Sportsman carrier.  It is what a beginner carrier event should be.  I'd even go a step further and limit it to plain bearing engines - but make it a .40 max.  Then one could enter competitively with a 35FP, 40 FP, 40 LA, Enya etc.  Maybe even a step further than that - lead outs have to exit w/in the first 2/3 of the wing tip.  Then no fixed, swept leadout postitioning so one would be forced to fly a scale like carrier approach (or controlled crash) rather than a "hover flop". 

STOP - don't have anything against prop hanging, it is just intimidating and not appealing to most beginners.  Let them feel the satisfaction of a 100 pt landing, and the challange of fast/slow flight and maybe they'll become interested enough to build and fly a higher performance model y1
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 08:10:45 AM »
I guess that is why I quit carrier flying here in the midwest and the NATS.  Sportsman should not allow line sliders.  I have been jumped on hard from all the guys I fly with when I propose the no slider for sportsman.  I have tried line sliders and still will try them, but, not for sportsman.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 11:22:59 AM »
Just because sliders are allowed, that does not mean that they are required.  Look at a skyray carrier.  A decently set up skyray with a profile legal motor would be competitive at any sportsman carrier in the nation. At most of the contests a skyray carrier would be competitive in regular profile too.  I would encourage anybody interested in carrier to build and fly an airplane, but not to worry about the slider unless they want to.

Remember, sportsman carrier is not a rule book event.   At the Nationals it is run as a unofficial event. If you want to change the way it is run at the Nats, you have to get the attention of the Navy Carrier Society officers and talk to people who are going to the Nats.  The decision about what unofficial events and the rules for the unofficial events at the next years Nats are made at the NCS meeting at the Nats each year by the people who attend the meeting. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here