News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:57:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Skyray 35 Carrier Airplane Info  (Read 4094 times)

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Sig Skyray 35 Carrier Airplane Info
« on: February 03, 2007, 06:55:05 PM »
Everyone,
I would like to set up a Skyray 35 for the carrier event they run at the Sig contest and would appreciate some pics of the modifications that you guys are doing to set the airplanes up.  Thanks in advance for anything that you may be able to provide.
John
John Paris

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Sig Skyray 35 Carrier Airplane Info
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 05:54:39 PM »
1. Stock Skyray 35 kits only. The only modifications allowed are as follows.
     a. Two wheel landing gear.
     b. Standard three line control system (elevator and throtle).
     c. Repositioning the leadouts on the wing tip other than shown
         on the plans (no line-sliders allowed).
     d. Addition of arresting hook (same as profile rules).
     e. With exception of the elevator, no moveable in flight control
         surfaces allowed.
     f. Slight modifications such as balsa cheek cowls and triangle stock
         under the stab for strengthening are allowed.
2. Engine:0.409 maximimum cubic inch displacement (mufflers opotional).
3.Fuel tank: suction only ( no preasurized systems allowed).
4.Sig 10% fuel only (supplied at contest).
5. The scoring of the event shall be as per the AMA rule book for profile
    carrier with the following exceptions.
     a. No scale bonus points; however, the model is to look like a Sig
         Skyray 35.
     b. the maximum high speed score will be limited to 75 mph.

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 09:25:50 AM »
Hi John,

Eric has provided the rules that we use at the contest.  I'd recommend that you contact Art Johnson or Bill Calkins for tips.
Art  RCBLIMPPILOT@aol.com
Bill  clflyer@mchsi.com

See you in June.
Mike

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 09:55:33 AM »
Mike,
I was hoping that they would chime in here so we can share the knowledge, but I may need to contact one of them directly.  I think Melvin is on the board as well so I will give it a little longer.  Will have the full crew with me this time around so there will be plenty to do.  Looking forward to it.

Eric,
Thanks for the rules.  I still have one of the flyers from a previous event, so was up to speed on the dos and don'ts.  What I am looking for is tips on internal vs. external controls and if I should try a slider or not (for later use in other possible events).  Also things like tanks and required fuel loads would be helpful.  This will be my first attempt at a carrier style ship and by-passing the joys of discovery will help with the limited preparation time.

John
John Paris

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 03:00:55 PM »
I know what you mean John about helpful hints that will help you field a plane thats going to fly well. I have never flown Skyray but have been to several meets where it was flown and I was not real impressed with the flying that I saw. It was probably the fliers and the airplane that made it look like a struggle. I have a kit for the Skyray 35 and am planning on building one just to see what I can do with it as far as carrier flying is concerned. Most of the ones that I have seen fly had the bellcranks on top or on the bottom of the wing and depending top or bottom they flew outboard wing high or low. They also tended to be nose heavy which made them almost imposible to fly in low speed. The plane has a long nose and a short after body(were they thinking Fox 35?) so I think a person that wants to fly it in carrier would have to add some weight back by the tail. Its to bad you cant mount the fuel tank in the wing behind the engine instead of having to add more weight in the tail area. The guys that mount the bellcrank on top or bottom of the wing usually put an adjustable line guide out at the tip of the wing(or sometime in 2 bays from the wing tip) so they can adjust the line rake. I,m going to put my bellcrank in the wing as the slot for the lines is pretty large and can be made a little larger out by the wing tip to allow the lines to be raked back quite a bit. Also I plane on putting a wedge under the engine to get 8 to 11 degrees of out thrust. Will build my own fuel tank to hold 5 ounces and try to build it so I can move the engine back maybe 1/2''. I plan on using a Thunder Tiger Pro 36 with a APC 9/6 and between the out thrust and the line rake within the wing I think it will be easy to get a easy hang for slow speed and still get 75 mph or very close to it. I think we need to stick as close as we can to the stock Skyray so people will have a easy plane to try carrier with. Every Skyray that I have seen used it own set of changes to get it to perform a little better and only one or two were balanced worth a darn so they all seemed to struggle. If we are lucky maybe someone will jump in here and give us a few magic bullets.eric

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 09:48:59 AM »
Eric, you have hit the nail on the head about Skyray Carrier.  I told the powers to be that they messed up when they did not specify the Skyray had to be as close to the kit as you could get it.  Especially with the leadouts.  The ones I have seen are over powered and then detuned to get under 75 MPH.  The leadouts are so far back the plane yaws out on its own.  I still beleive if the leadouts were required to be in stock location we might have a few more people to try it.  At least the one I had was a blast to fly and do touch an goes which is easy to do with the leadouts where they belong in my opinion.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 08:24:07 PM »
Well finally got started on the Skyray 35 plane. As sport planes go or as a stunt trainer this has to be one of the top planes around. As a carrier plane goes it seems to me that it leaves alot to be desired. You cant take a stunt plane and fly it in a AMA carrier event any more than you can take a AMA carrier plane and fly it in stunt. Having said that, here I am putting together a Skyray 35 to fly in carrier. I'm doing some modifications on the plane as I build it to see if I cant get it to fly decently in the carrier event as I know it(AMA Profile Carrier). I want to keep it as close to the stock Skyray as I can and still have it fly the carrier event. So far the things that I've done are beef up the motor mounts( to survive the deck landings and engine failures while in slow flight) and stengthened the tail/rudder and stab./elevator. These modifications have been minor so far and I expect the wing to be have even less modifications. I will post every so often with up dates and if I ever figure out how to post pictures (my problems not the fault of the forum) I will do that also. eric

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 06:51:36 PM »
Eric,
Thanks for the update.  I have been getting ready for VSC, so building has been put on the back burner for a little while.  I figured that the fuse would need a little beefing up for the occasional dip in the drink or slam on the deck.  There was an article in CLW about a tip slider that could be made (would have to be locked for Sig though) that looked good for the Skyray 35.  Like you I plan on keeping mine as stock looking as possible as after the Carrier event, I thought it would be cool just to have a throttle controlled CL airplane to putz around with.

What do you plan on using for a tank?  I know that the hardcore guys use some pretty exotic looking stuff.  Any suggestions?
John
John Paris

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 08:20:23 PM »
Hi John, my fuel tank physiology boils down to ''keep it simple stupid''. Carrier flying (if your lucky) consists of <19 sec. of wild speed followed by >190 sec. of total boredom. So you want the engine to run fast for +or-19sec. and then the rest of the run is at reduced throtle where your fuel pick up is not very critical so I feel the fuel system can be pretty simple. I almost always build my own tanks because each plane is different and there for each tank has to be a little different. By different I dont mean the plumbing, its that you dont want the tank to cause unnecessary drag so its always nice to keep it directly behind and close to the engine and not have any frontal area of the tank above or below the engine. This is fairly easy to do on a ''designed for carrier plane'' but on the Skyray 35 it presents a problem because the tank has to be in front of the wing not in the wing. Also on the Skyray you need to have the engine back as far as you can get it without making the nose shorter which limits the space left for the tank. I'm going to start with a tank that measures 2'' by 2.5'' by 1 and 7/8'' which will give me close to 5oz of fuel. I'm told that this is way to big(I hope they are right) and will make it smaller if I dont need 5oz.. The fuel pickup for the engine will be in the lower aft outside corner of the tank and exit on the front of the tank in line with the needle. There will be a overflow in the front upper inside corner that will exit at the bottom inside at the rear of the tank. I will put in a uniflow breather tube somewhere(never got one right yet) and will use it to fill the tank and then will cap it or the overflow off after filling the tank. I've never had any major problems getting 19sec. of high speed and then getting a good steady low speed run. I will send you a article on carrier tanks by ''Bill Bischoff'' which is very stait forward and explains just about all you need to know. eric

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 02:22:18 PM »
Hope it is not too late for you to make this mod.

I have a  Sig Skyray originall built to the kit.  flew great.  But when I modified it for Navy Carrier I did a pull test to NAVY CARRIER PULL TEST requirements.  Then I made three new center ribs and a new belcrank mount the reaches beyond three ribs for greater support.  I also put in a 1/8 ply shear web between the two ribs inboard of the bellcrank.  The original belcrank mount failed at 35 lbs.  The new one passes 50 lbs.  Hope this saves you a bad day.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 06:54:07 PM »
Clancy,
Thanks for the info on the pull test.  I had not considered what I would do with the bellcrank area, but your suggestion sounds pretty good.
John
John Paris

Alan Hahn

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 01:46:58 PM »
Pete Mazur was describing his electric setup for Skyray Carrier last night at the Treetown meeting. He looks pretty serious. ~^

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 08:50:45 PM »
I'm about to get the Skyray together. Will epoxy the fuselage to the wing tomarrow and then bolt all the other stuff on in time to take it to the club meetting on thursday for show and tell. Would like to fly it before thursday but the paint and glue need to set a little better so will wait. As Clancy said the bellcrank mount is a little too light for the carrier pull test so ended up mounting mine to 3 of the ribs plus to the spar and doubler that runs between those three ribs. I almost always build and finish the wing and the fuselage/ tail assemblies before I epoxy them together so on this plane I did just that and got a little surprise. The fuselage turned out to be one color of blue and the wing a different color of blue. Built them in the same darn small room but not at the same time nor were they both kept in the same room before assembly. Oh well, good thing I forget easy so this wont bother me for to long. I saw a post by Brett that his Skyray balanced something like 1 and 1/8'' back from the leading edge?? The way I look at this plane it should be 2.5'' to 3'' behind the leading edge. Guess I better start at 1 1/8'' and go from there. Will post again and give weight and balance after I fly the plane. eric

Offline BillCalkins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 10:40:38 AM »
Several items. Beef up the bellcrank mount. I would mount the bellcrank under the wing. Put a slider made out of 3/32" aluminum under the wing. For Skyray the leadouts can't move, but if you have a .35 in it you can fly it in Profile. Make an adjustable wing tip weight box. I usually start out with 2 ounces and remove weight until it is stable in low speed. 2 wheel landing gear.
Bill

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 01:22:35 PM »
Hi Bill, just finished putting the wing and fuselage together on my two tone blue Skyray. After watching several Skyray carrier planes fly with the bellcrank on the top or bottom of the wing I decided I would try to get away with putting it in the wing on the outboard side of the fuselage. I did that because the Skyrays I saw fly with the bellcrank on the outside of the wing flew with the outside wing tip a couple inches low or high depending on where they had mounted the bellcrank. I had pretty good luck with the last 15 I built with the bellcrank inside the wing and the lines coming out near the trailing edge of the wing and the engine with a 10 degree out thrust so thought I would try it with the Skyray. Those Skyray wing ribs are pretty strong so I could lengthen the space for the lines to exit the wing near the trailing edge, and between the out-thrust of the engine and the lines at the trailing edge I think I must have 20 degrees to play with so will see how it goes. I ran the throtle cable out just under the leading edge material and through a copper tube in the metal fuel tank to the engine. Sure like the way that works as it makes placement of the fuel tank a no brainer. I'll keep you posted on how well it flys or dosnt fly. eric

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 12:20:58 PM »
Well, I have now joined ranks of those guys that I thought were doing poorly with there Skyray 35s. A carrier plane the Skyray is not. I guess I had forgotten how hard it can be for planes with thick airfoils to transition from HS to LS and a few other things to boot. I have very close to 21 degrees of combined out thrust (engine 10 degrees/line rake 11 degrees) and with a Thunder Tiger Pro. 36 with a Nelson Ultra Thrust Muffler, Perry 1301 carburetor it gets an easy 80+mph off the grass so HS is just fine. Its the low speed I'm having trouble with. I've moved the CG back twice to the point that my HS stability is starting to suffer and am still having trouble getting enough elevator authority to coach it into the hang. It turned out to weigh 43oz. I've decided to switch back to the stock muffler and carburetor because I think I can still get the 75mph HS and this makes the weight come down to 41oz. Oh well I will keep the forum posted and how it goes (or doesn't go). eric

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 07:48:38 AM »
Eric,
Thanks for keeping us up to speed on progress.  I have not made the time to get my program going.  While I still have good hopes, I might have to stay at the stunt end of the circles this time around.
John
John Paris

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 04:26:18 PM »
Well took the Skyray 35 out yesterday and put in a couple of flights and seem to be making a little headway on it's carrier ability's. It seems to be just as fast with the stock carburetor and muffler so HS is just fine. I added some more weight to the tail and it now has a little over 2oz back there. I was afraid that there would be a big problem with the HS hunt but if anything it seems to be a little more stable (?), and its a good thing because I still need more weight back there. It now balances at the front of the wing spar and I hope to get it behind the spar by 1/8 to 1/4'' and still have enough HS stability. It now transition back and forth to the hang OK although I have to carry full up elevator most of the circle and when into the wind it will only maintain around 40 degrees. Out of the wind or across the wind it can be kept at 55+ degrees. I would have gone out today and tried more weight in the tail but the winds have picked up and now it looks like the weather is going to be pretty bumpee the rest of this coming week. So as soon as the weather settles down I will report on how the added weight in the tail works out. eric

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 08:10:46 PM »
Finally got back out to the flying field and got five more flights in with the Skyray 35. I added another half oz. of tail weight for a total of 2.5oz. and lost some of the HS stability so had to go back to 2 oz. and leave it there, at least for now. I say at least for now because I've found that the more you fly a plane the more you find you can do with that plane and get away with it. The first flight showed me that I had to go back to 2oz. in the tail. Second flight I didn't time the HS but did time the LS (3 min. 24 sec.) and the conditions were perfect with a steady breeze of maybe 4 mph. Third flight the HS was 25.30 and the LS was 2 min. and 50 sec. in gusty conditions (nothing over 8 mph). Fourth flight the HS was 24.47 and the LS was 2 min. 52 sec. and I finally figured out that the wind was turbulent not gusty as it had shifted from S to WSW and was coming over some school buildings a few hundred feet away. Fifth flight gave a 24.71 HS and a low of 2 min. and 50 sec., same bumpy conditions. I was disappointed in the HS and may have to go back to the Ultrathrust Muffler. When you fly off grass it is surprising how much time you loose breaking loose from the grass. Also when I went back to the stock carburetter and muffler the plane started to hesitate after the launch so I may have a draw problem with my 5 oz. fuel tank (other wise known as eric's weight box) which I have found would better serve me at say 4 oz.. My fuel is GMA 10/22 and the prop is a APC 9/6 and for the above test the weight was 43 oz. dry. I will report more after some more flights. Things are not always what we expect as this plane and all of my .15 carrier planes have been much more difficult to trim and fly than my made for carrier planes. eric

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 07:39:17 AM »
Eric,

Thanks for the detailed information on your Skyray. I have a kit sitting on the shelf that I have not started but would like to build when I get the time.

Pete Mazur and Mike Anderson have completed their electric Skyrays but have not gotten them in the air yet. They were ready last weekend but the weather didn't cooperate, it was too windy.

Are you running the Thunder Tiger 36? What fuel are you using in the un-muffled set up? Is it the 10%? or are you using the stock muffler?
One last question, how far aft are the leadouts? I assume you have an adjustable lead out guide that you can move around.

Keep up the good posts. Maybe it will get others the think about building.
Bob Frogner

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 04:27:29 PM »
Hi Bob, I,m running the Thunder Tiger Pro 36 on the Skyray as I believe they are as fast or fast than most 40s. The fuel I use in all but 1/2 As is Power Master's GMA 10/22. I have found that it performs quite well in the Nelsons and is OK in the TT Pro 36. Also run it in the MVVS 15 where I wish it was 15/18 but try to keep life simple by just using the 10/22. Ted Kraver suplies the Arizona contests that he CDs or EDs with Excalibur fuel in 10/20 which seems to be better than the GMA 10/22. I'm either running a muffler on my carrier planes or will switch to one as soon as I build another one for CL-1.

The bell crank is IN the wing behind the fuel tank. The lines are adjustable from just behind the wing spar to about 3/8'' in front of the trailing edge. If the lines are all the way back it gives the plane around a 11 degree sweep. The engine has 10 degrees out thrust so that equals 21 degrees of combined out thrust. After flying this plane I sorta wonder what would happen with no engine out thrust and say 20 to 25 degrees of line sweep. On the planes I've seen with exterior bell cranks and exterior line guides, they fly with one wing tip up or down depending on whether the BC is on the top of the wing or on the bottom of the wing. eric

Offline Melvin Schuette

• Ensign
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 08:01:51 PM »
To one and all;

Skyray carrier came into being shortly after Sig came out with the kit.  At their contest they started have racing, stunt, and combat event requiring the use of the Skyray.  Myself along with the late Brett Smith and if memory serves me right Bill Calkins came up with the rules for Skyray carrier. le sWe wanted to keep the event simple, so we patterned them after the Denver 15 carrier rules that was gaining popularity at the time. We chose the 40 sized engines for two reasons, one because of the availability of inexpensive reliable 40s and there was a movement to try and allow 40s in profile because it was had to get a competitive 36.  We put a 75mph high speed point value on the event to prevent requiring  the use of a high dollar high horsepower engine.  We later found out that that theory was wrong.  We found that you trimmed the plane for low speed and put all the horsepower on the plane you could to make up for the leadouts being to the rear during highspeed.

I find the recently published rules which states that the plane must be a stock Skyray contradicts with the rule that says that the plane must resemble a Skyray.  I have been using an enlarged stab and elevator on mine almost from the start.

My first Skyray carrier plane met its demise when controls bound up inside of the wing, and I insisted on flying it anyway.  The second on (the current one I am flying) has the belcrank mounted on the bottom of the wing.

I tell anyone who is interested in building a Skyray for their first carrier ship to build the plane with a line slider and to use 36 sized engine.  this way you can use the plane for both Profile and Skyray carrier for skyray you just leave the leadouts in the rearward postition.

Melvin

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 06:02:23 PM »
Here is a picture of my ''Stocker Skyray 35 carrier model'' that really flies great as long as you don't try to fly ''carrier'' with it. eric

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here