News:

• May 17, 2024, 05:13:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Several NW Profile Sport 40 questions  (Read 5067 times)

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Several NW Profile Sport 40 questions
« on: April 03, 2016, 03:25:34 PM »
  • I just won a bid for a 40FP on eBay.  It looks like it has the E-3030 muffler.  Does this count as the muffler it came with, or did the 40FP come with something else?
  • Given that I expect to just participate and have fun, does a Ringmaster sound like it can be made to work?  I ask because I have one in crashed but easily repaired condition.
  • Do I need to have a movable hook if I'm just flying for fun, or can I replace the tail skid with a fixed hook (and go have fun)?
  • Keeping in mind that I've never done this, what don't I know?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Several NW Profile Sport 40 questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 04:34:57 PM »
First thing to do is to go to Flying Lines and open the carrier section.  Eric Conley has some great info there.  I'm almost certain that the 3030 muffler is correct. I think your Ringmaster with a fixed hook tailskid will do just fine but I'm planing to bring my Joe Just Wildcat to Portland.  You flew it once just for fun several years ago.  You will be welcome to fly it again.   
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 04:59:02 PM »
Thanks Russel -- I'll do that, see how much activity there is.

I'm really not trying to win the world here -- just to have some fun competing while my right shoulder is turning back into a shoulder.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 05:36:16 PM »
Not the forum, the competition categories but you probably knew that already.  It is a lot of fun and very laid back. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 05:43:53 PM »
Not the forum, the competition categories but you probably knew that already.  It is a lot of fun and very laid back. 

Oh, that -- already read, hope I understand it.  I need to find some 20-mil lines, since I'll be going 2-line + radio.
AMA 64232

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 07:24:30 PM »
If you don't use a drop hook, you need some other scheme to keep it from hooking during takeoff.
Paul Smith

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »
     Paul, they will be flying off a carrier "deck" so should be OK. Eric
Eric

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 09:38:42 PM »
just plug in another little servo to activate a hook release
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 09:52:17 PM »
just plug in another little servo to activate a hook release

I thought about that.  I figure I'll be lucky to show up at the Tune Up with a plane at all; if I have something other than smithereens left at the end of the weekend I'll consider enfancifying it.
AMA 64232

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 06:57:02 AM »
Somewhere I saw a picture of two handles joined together.  You could fly two handed and still be able to use only one hand when necessary.  Might be a good training aid for the left. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 07:18:26 AM »
uote author=eric david conley link=topic=42868.msg443112#msg443112 date=1459735328]
     Paul, they will be flying off a carrier "deck" so should be OK. Eric
[/quote]

You can still snag crack between the deck sections or an expansion joint it it's on concrete.  In one of mine I used a stationary hook and a very flimsy tailskid to get through the takeoff.  If I landed nose-high the skid was not a factor. If I came in level the hook was easily brushed back.  But a downline release is still mainstream and for good reason.
Paul Smith

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 09:44:25 AM »
Tim.
There are all sorts of "non traditional things you can do in sport 40. The Ringmaster will work fine. Do yourself a favor to make things simple. This is from the guy who invented (it's documented) the thingy that moves the leadout back on low throttle, Jeff Rein.
Get the Brodak on the bottom bellcrank (unless you are using 24 mh) and run the controls exterior. much-o simpler-o.
A hook can be made by a swing down wire that is pulled by rubber bands just let it drag on takeoff.....a tail skid hook would also work, but unlike the 15 size jobs the 40 is hard to get to hang so maybe a drop down hook might make landings easier.
Disgusted with it all, the Reinman gave me his sport 40 and if you send me a private message, I'll send you pictures. Other than that, do whatever Erick says.

Ken

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 10:18:10 AM »
Hey Ken:

Yes, I'm trying to keep it simple.  The controls will be in the wing because the controls already ARE in the wing -- I just pulled a Ringmaster off the wall last night that was too damaged to fix & too good to toss, and decided that maybe it is good enough to fix after all.  I already have a 2.4GHz car radio that's been converted to airplane use -- I'm just going to find a spot for the radio junk and stick it on.

Paul:

I see you're trying to convince me to go with a drop hook, and I respect that -- but I've got less than two weeks before the contest and not a lot of spare time.  I think that the first time out I'll just use swing-down hook as Ken describes -- if it has problems I can make a downline drop mechanism, or use a channel on the radio to drop it.  Any time granted to me before the contest will probably be better spent test flying, unless the drop mechanism proves REALLY easy.
AMA 64232

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »
be sure to put red circles on the wing r something to keep the boy scouts happy. Military markings you know.......

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 12:34:41 PM »
I did a pull test, and now my plans have changed.  The rulz say 25G, and I was estimating a 2.5 pound airplane, so 63 pounds -- I think the bellcrank ripped out at about 50.

Hopefully I'll still get something tossed together.  Maybe bits of plywood nailed together (with proper markings, of course).
AMA 64232

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
     Tim, the rules say 20Gs same as AMA Profile carrier. Eric
Eric

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 02:36:03 PM »
     Tim, the rules say 20Gs same as AMA Profile carrier. Eric

Agh -- I missed that.  I'm pretty sure it would have pulled out anyway -- the structure in there was plenty for 10G on a 34 ounce plane, but not for 20G at my anticipated worst-case of 40oz.

On the plus side, it looks like an easy fix to put it back together AND reinforce it so that it'll pass the pull test -- if I extend the bellcrank pivot out of the wings top & bottom there's just enough room for it to sit on some plywood pads on the outside of the fuselage.  You'd have to rip the whole plane apart to pull that out.
AMA 64232

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 03:34:14 PM »
nice......way ta go......if a little's good then....ya know.
Yah, put the junk on the outside and bring the leadouts under the wing so you can put a good fence on the thang so it will tilt a bit.
I'll take some pix's of the one I have. It's a p40 built out of an R&B rippoff combat wing core. It should be good but I'm no carrier flier and about the time I get a good engine setting, I do something like getting the lines mixed and there goes the whole shebang.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 04:13:07 PM »
Tim.
Here are a few pic's to help maybe. Ultra simple and can be done ...even by me!

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
missed one.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 04:28:54 PM »
Tim.
Here are a few pic's to help maybe. Ultra simple and can be done ...even by me!

BING!  The light goes on.  I'm going to go with the bellcrank in the wing because it's done already, but if I build one specifically for carrier you can bet I'll be following your pictures here.  Not dissing your help or your ideas -- just trying to get on the road QUICK, and repairs are almost always easier than mods.
AMA 64232

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 04:30:53 PM »
Speaking of insignia, does it have to be a naval insignia?  Or can it just be military?  My first two thoughts for country were Andorra and the Martial islands, which don't have a navy and depend on the US for defense, respectively.  I'll probably just put a star-in-circle on the thing (I suppose I should use whatever was used in 1952, because -- Ringmaster).
AMA 64232

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can use a red dot as in Japan. I put this on the Gee Bee carrier ship

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 06:18:24 PM »
BING! -- just trying to get on the road QUICK, and repairs are almost always easier than mods.

Maybe a lesson learned from a donor aircraft some years back that ended up completely rebuilt instead of flown?,, just wonderin'
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 07:17:05 PM »
Maybe a lesson learned from a donor aircraft some years back that ended up completely rebuilt instead of flown?,, just wonderin'

Nah -- that one needed complete rebuilding.
AMA 64232

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 07:18:04 PM »

I did consider converting the Streak to Carrier, but I don't think the wing half that's on it is quite 300 square inches.
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 08:00:42 PM »
rebuilt so it could die ingloriously,,, yeah I get it D>K
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2016, 06:08:04 PM »
So,
According to NW carrier rules on the flyinglines page, "moveable control surfaces allowed".  Are folks using flaps and rudder deployed with the tail hook? Or is that verboten?

Thanks

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here