News:

• May 04, 2024, 12:12:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ryan Fireball  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ryan Fireball
« on: December 14, 2006, 08:39:43 PM »
Does anyone have plans for the Ryan Fireball ? I flew one in carrier in the 50's and would like to build another. <=
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Ryan Fireball
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 10:37:15 AM »
Hi Lary, I've sent you an article and some drawings of the Fireball that I got from Mike Potter up in Washington. If its a profile that you are building these may be enough but if its a CL 1 or 2 your on your own. I have a list of plans on a DVD that I'll look at and see if I can find a Firebird on it. Its a nice looking plane. Was yours a profile or built up and how did it fly. If these prints that I sent you didnt turn out let me know and I will try again. eric

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 06:10:54 PM »
Thanks Eric for the article on the Fireball , the one I built was built up with 30"ws and a Fox 59  . I saw someone build one for R/C it was larger with 
2 engine one was ducted fan and the other standard. I think a bigger then 30"ws would be great fun ,(how about a turbine jet with throttle) Hummm AP^
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 09:27:05 PM »
Years ago there was an article and plans in american aircraft modeler magazine . It was a builtup fuselage. Two years ago I was contemplating giving a go at carrier (old style) and building one of these. Instead I think I will go with a J Roberts F4u kit and St 60 I have been saving.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 08:20:51 PM »
Yours may have been a Ryan Dark Shark. Consolidated made a kit of one about that size in the late 50s and a really cool Grumman Avenger too! Both were for scale or carrier. I think the Dark Shark won the NATS one year!  Mike
mike potter

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 09:33:51 PM »
You might want to check out Gus Morfis plans. Admittidly it's 1/12 scale but the fireball was a big aircraft. Even though this is for RC combat matches his stuff is readily adaptable to a lot of purposes. Oh and check out his P-38 plans also.
Dennis

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 02:32:55 PM »
Larry,
 I have a complete kit of a 30" ryan fireball by jim walker beacon hobbies. If you want, I'll glady have a copy of the plan made for you. looks like the plan should have everything you need on it, and if not, let me know and I could always make you some templates.
  Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 11:20:16 PM »
There were plans for a CL Scale Ryan FR-1 Fireball published in the Sep 71 issue of Model Airplane News.  The article was by Charles A Felton.  The model was for a scale model, and the plans did not show the structure or details for a hook.  The plans show a throttled 35 and just over a 40 inch span.  The article states "Although designed for Sport flying, the model could easily be modified for Carrier events."

I checked the AMA plans service which usually has plans for this sort of thing.  I could not find a listing for this design.

It might be worthwhile to see if the plans service could scan the magazine article plans into their stystem and produce a full size set of plans.  The AMA library will have this magazine in their files.

Keith Trostle

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »
If you'd like a neat profile Fireball, Larry Richards made a kit at one time. He may still offer plans. Check with him:   http://richardskits.net/

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 04:39:28 PM »
Just have been to the "model airplane news" site.  They still list a lot of control line planes from their past.  Several of the carrier designs are still available such as the Skyraider A1-E & A1-H,  Sea Fury and both of Harry Higley's Mo-Ho designs.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 09:59:59 AM »
Larry, hope to see you in the Nor-Cal Carrier circle soon.  The Ryan Fireball is listed as Model Airplane News plan FSP09711.  It is described as all built up w/ planked skins and intended for carrier but could be flown as scale or..."powered by a Dynajet engine" (that would be something to see ~^).  As previously posted, it was designed by Charles Felton.  41" wing span, engine 35. This sounds more like Class II size but my source is an old MAN plans directory. Only problem is, I don't know if it still available.  Previousy Art Schroeder's company "Air Age Publishing" was handling these plans but current status if unknown ???
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 03:49:49 PM »

Ryan FR-1 Fireball    
1971 Model Airplane News Sp p11    
span 41.00   
wing area 297.40   
power .35       
designed by Felton, Chuck A

i can send the scan of the magazine article.
tom a wilk
tawilk36@cpinternet.com
www.cpinternet.com/~tawilk36     H^^

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 12:18:24 PM »
Does anyone have plans for the Ryan Fireball ? I flew one in carrier in the 50's and would like to build another. <=

Larry,
I have a kit in my collection of a Ryan Fireball. It is pretty small (28 inches, or so) and manufactured by, I think, Master Modelcraft in the 50's. It'll be a while, but when I go out to my hangar and get it I can send you some more info to see if this is the one you had. if so, I could mail you a copy of the plans.

I know there are some designs from ones past one loves to have again. If this turns out to be the one, that'll be great for you to have found it.

Chris...

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 09:59:40 PM »
Hi Larry,
It's smaller than I thought. The Master Modelcraft kit is only 23 inches.
Sounds as if that Jim Walker kit was the one you built?
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here