News:

• May 01, 2024, 12:20:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rules for unofficial events?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Ken Deboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Rules for unofficial events?
« on: January 11, 2007, 09:20:20 AM »
Where can I get rules for some of the unofficial carrier events, namely Sportsman Profile and Nostalgia? I looked at the NCS web site and couldn't find them. Also are there seperate nostalgia classes for profile and full bodied airplanes? Thanks...

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline bfrog

• Commander
Re: Rules for unofficial events?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:34:08 AM »
Ken,

Here's what I have. These are from a new website for  NCS that is not fully active yet. These rules should be accurate for AMA events, some local events have variations.

Sportsman:

Same as Official Profile Carrier rules.  This class is intended for "Sportsman", entrants who do not wish to compete in the "Open" Profile Carrier Class. The event director reserves the right to promote an entrant to the "Open" profile carrier class based on performance.

No person may enter both Profile and Sportsman, however Sportsman entrants may also enter Class I and II.

Nostalgia:

1.        Philosophy:  The Nostalgia Navy Carrier event offers Carrier flyers an opportunity for additional Navy Carrier competition in a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere.  It recreates an earlier period of Navy Carrier flying which predated the prop-hanging slow flight which characterizes today's competition.  As the years separate us more and more from the models, engines, and flying styles that formed the beginnings of the modern event, Nostalgia Navy Carrier will help to keep alive the memory of those earlier years.  Because the models are simpler than those used in modern competition, Nostalgia Navy Carrier may introduce new flyers to Navy Carrier competition.

2.       Applicability:  The CL Navy Carrier rules as published in the 1974-1975 AMA Official Model Aircraft Regulations shall govern this event except as modified below.

3.       Model Requirements:  Model design is unrestricted except as specified below and in the AMA Official Model Aircraft Regulations.  To encourage models which accurately reproduce actual nostalgia era Navy Carrier models, bonus points are awarded.

3.1.    Engine Specifications:  Engine and fuel system specifications shall be as listed in the current AMA regulations for each event.

3.2.    Moveable Leadouts:  Vertical or horizontal position of the leadouts relative to the model may not change in flight.

3.3.    Electronic Control Systems:  Electronic control systems are not permitted

4.       Builder of the Model:  The builder of the model rule does not apply to Nostalgia Navy Carrier.

5.       Historic Model Bonus:  A bonus of 20 points will be awarded for models which were published or manufactured prior to January 1, 1978.  The Contest Director may require proof of eligibility, which shall be the responsibility of the contestant.  Proof may consist of dated published plans, magazine construction articles, or advertisements.  To qualify for this bonus, models must comply with the following requirements:

5.1.    Modifications:  No modifications to the original design are permitted, except as listed below.  Any modifications other than those listed in section 5.2 which, in the opinion of the event director, significantly change the appearance or performance of the model as it was originally designed, shall not be permitted.  This prohibition includes, but is not limited to, changes in airfoil, changes in dimensions, and use of moveable control surfaces not included on the original design.

5.2.    Allowable Modifications:

5.2.1.        Landing gear may be changed in length or material, but must exit the model at the original position.  A tail wheel may be substituted for a skid and vice versa.  Wheels may be of any diameter.

5.2.2.        Leadout position may be changed from that shown on the plan.  Ground-adjustable leadouts are permitted.

5.2.3.        Control travel, control mechanism location, and control mechanism may be changed.

5.2.4.        Tip weight may be changed or may be adjustable.

5.2.5.        Tail hook and its location may be changed.

5.2.6.        Structural changes to strengthen the aircraft are permitted.

5.2.7.        Building and finishing material substitutions are permitted.

5.2.8.        Location of access hatches may be changed.

5.2.9.        Engine mountings may be changed, and engines of different displacement may be used.

6.       Non-schnuerle Engine Bonus:  Non-schnuerle engines will receive a bonus of 20 points.

7.       Carrier Deck:  A carrier deck corresponding to current AMA regulations will be used.

8.       Records:  Records will not be established for Nostalgia Navy Carrier.

9.       Combination of Classes:  Class I and Class II may be combined for Nostalgia Navy Carrier.  If classes are combined, Class I models will receive a five percent bonus on total score (multiply Class I total score by 1.05).  Profile Class will not be combined with Class I and Class II in Nostalgia Navy Carrier.

Hope this is what  you were looking for.

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 06:00:02 PM »
Another unofficial Carrier Event?

15 Carrier.

Original (Denver) rules were for flying the same deck, same scoring scheme, as Profile. Exception: 8 laps high and low give the same distance on 52.5' lines as 7 on 60' lines, so flier position adjsuts accordingly. I have the Denver rules in a file somewhere, and may find them to post in here.

There is also NW 15 Carrier which has some differences, but my late friend Gerry Deneau's Denver rules, ASIR, called for profile fuselage, only allowed in-flight controls hook, throttle elevator, and 70 MPH top speed for score purposes. The top speed limit keeps things honest - someone want to stick a carb on a Nelson or FAI Combat engine and go FAST? Knock yourself out! The guy with a wheezy Fox 15 baffle, if he hits 70 MPH in Hi, get the same hi-speed score...

Lines and pull test probably as for CLPA, now, as 15 Carrier is unofficial and no formal AMA lines/pull specs exist. Mike Keville's 1/2A Scale idea for this Fall calls for all lines to be .012, if total displacement is above 0.08. Sounds close to what 15 Profile should use, no?
\BEST\LOU

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 06:13:33 PM »
 NW Rules allow a muffler. Lines are 52.5 ft x.012 and pull test is 25lbs. 70 mph speed limit. scoring the same as AMA regs.Profile only. No sliders. No movable controls except elv. and hook,and of course throttle. They are a bit more difficult to fly especially in wind. Very light on the controls like a 1/2A.
mike potter

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 10:34:43 PM »
This is what I have as 15 carrier rules. Pretty simple though.

.15 Profile Carrier
(Denver Rules)

The intent of this event is to provide a Navy Carrier event which uses simpler, smaller, lighter and easier to build models as compared to the current AMA Profile Carrier aircraft. In pursuit of this goal, .15 Profile Carrier models are limited to moveable throttle, hook and elevator only. No moveable flaps, ailerons, leadouts, rudder, etc. are allowed. While there are no scale points awarded in this event, the model must have a military paint scheme and national markings. As a result of the lack of scale bonus points, originality in model design is welcomed. AMA Official Profile Navy Carrier rules apply except as follows:

Engine:    0.1525 cubic inch maximum displacement.
Flying Lines:    Minimum line diameter:
Stranded: .012 inch
Solid:.010 inch
Line length:
52 foot - 52 foot 6 inches
Scale Bonus Points:    None
Minimum Wing Area:    None
Maximum High Speed:    70 mph, faster speeds are allowed but 70 mph will be used for scoring.
Moveable components:    Throttle, hook and elevator only.
Number of laps for
High & Low Speed:    8
Pull Test:    25 pounds
Bob Frogner

Offline Melvin Schuette

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 06:49:34 PM »
NW Rules allow a muffler. Lines are 52.5 ft x.012 and pull test is 25lbs. 70 mph speed limit. scoring the same as AMA regs.Profile only. No sliders. No movable controls except elv. and hook,and of course throttle. They are a bit more difficult to fly especially in wind. Very light on the controls like a 1/2A.

The original rules written by the Denver club allowed mufflers and I do not know of anyone who uses different rules

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here