News:

• May 02, 2024, 10:01:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rule proposal for Electric Carrier. What do you think?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Rule proposal for Electric Carrier. What do you think?
« on: October 13, 2007, 01:23:01 PM »
     The NCS has formed a committee to explore and then come up with working rules for Electric Carrier. They have given there first report and proposal for unofficial rules for Electric Carrier for the 2008 year. These were published in the "Hi-Low Landings" news letter for the months of September/October. The goal of the new rules would be to have electric events that are compatible with and competitive with the existing gas powered events. So my question is, what do you think, and what would you suggest. I hope as many as possible will comment on this subject. eric

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Rule proposal for Electric Carrier. What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 03:16:04 PM »
I think you can and should add all the NEW events you want.

In no case should you ever try to mix piston and electric power in the same event.  Piston engine modelers have supported these events for 60+ years.  DO NOT try to hyjack them.  Start your own new event.
Paul Smith

Joejust

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 03:22:39 PM »
An  interesting read today on the purposed rules for e-carrier.  I have no dog in the fight but it sounds reasonable to me to keep the e-planes in a separate class all by themselves.  It chuckles me however to see the "push" to add or change rules for e-carrier when in the past the thinking has always been..." keep the suggested changes local until there is enough interest before changing anything we have had set up for years". I do really hope that e-carrier catches on so that many new fliers get into carrier flying.  Time will tell.

Joe Just

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 03:27:37 PM »
Seems to me that the "hijackers" are basically the same guys who are actually competing in Carrier today, so I'm not sure if you can hijack yourself!
I think the rubber guys felt the same way back in the 40's (? or was it earlier) when gas motors invaded their turf.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 09:07:33 AM »
Some people can't take change.  I see E-Carrier maybe growing for awhile and then falling off like profile.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 12:58:36 PM »
Seems to me that the "hijackers" are basically the same guys who are actually competing in Carrier today, so I'm not sure if you can hijack yourself!
I think the rubber guys felt the same way back in the 40's (? or was it earlier) when gas motors invaded their turf.

Rubber Free Flight and Gliders are still seperate events from gas engines.....  as electric must ALWAYS be.

If electric events can't stand on their own,  they have no place in modeling.

Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 11:09:22 AM »
In time, and not too far in the future,  Electric may be the only way to fly in some areas.  Not all are fortunate enough to have a flying site out in the boonies.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 10:29:44 PM »
I think you can and should add all the NEW events you want.

In no case should you ever try to mix piston and electric power in the same event.  Piston engine modelers have supported these events for 60+ years.  DO NOT try to hyjack them.  Start your own new event.
Of course electrics should be flown in the same classes together with IC. No doubt about it.... :) F3A and F2B are good examples here.
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 06:38:12 AM »
Beauty contests like CL & RC stunt are one thing.  They already had widely dissimilar power plants.  Furthermore, stunters don't even try to go fast. 

Events where the goal is maximum (and in this case  minimum) speed are a whole 'nother thing.   In speed, racing, and carrier events, the established custom and procedure has been to simply ADD AN EVENT when new technology emerges.   Under this procedure, established contestants generally continue to fly the old events and build a plane to get into the new one.  No equipment lost.

"Speed" events always involve getting the biggest engine allowed, in this case: .01525, .36, .4028, or .65.   Since it is admittedly impossible to accurately measure the potential power on an electric system, they have NO PLACE integrated into the incumbant events.
Paul Smith

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 10:07:55 AM »
Variety is the spice of life.  I have no problem with those who want to go electric.  They deserve their own event.  But they need to be seperate events.  I think that there is no real way to establish equivalence between electric and IC.  Power is the determining factor.  It's fairly simple to determine with electric, volts x amps.  IC is a little harder, that's why you don't see real HP ratings on IC engines.  Electrics are easily classified by Watts, and it's very easy to measure displacement on an IC engine.

Keep 'em in their own classes.  Electric will die out when the "newness" wears off, and people get tired of the battery life and cost anyhow.  And don't forget the "latest wind" syndrome that pretty much killed slot cars and R/C electric cars. 
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 11:11:40 AM »
     Seems to me it is much to early to be talking about combining electric carrier into the three AMA events. The two events that might be OK to combine EC and IC carrier are .15 carrier and Skyray 35 carrier, both of which are speed limit events. I saw the results of one (thats one) contest and the .15 and Skyray results were quite similar as far as EC and IC carrier planes were concerned. There have been no AMA-carrrier events (that I know of) where there was any attempt to combine any of the AMA events.
     The cl speed events segregated the e-planes from the IC planes from the start and have not looked back. There seems to be interest in E-speed but not nearly as much as IC-speed. I read somewhere that there was interest in RC E-pylon racing as a stand alone event. There was no thought of combining events because of the difference between IC-pylon and E-pylon.
     At this time the NCS has a very talented group of fliers that have been very successful in the AMA events that are looking into the merits of e-carrier and ic-carrier. This group has also been flying e-carrier planes for the last year or more so they come to the table with a wealth of knowledge. It will be intresting to see how this all shakes out in the next 3 or 4 years. eric

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 07:49:02 PM »
I would like to see the electrics by them selves. To hard to manage gas and electric together.
Thanks
wayne Buran
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 09:57:34 AM »
This is great.  Finally an electric carrier post that didn't get my blood pressure up.   I second what Eric and Wayne said - separate classes although what Eric said about Skyray and .15 makes sense.  y1
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 12:24:31 PM »
I'm really glad to see the discussion of the proposed rules. That was the intent when they were drawn up, to get people talking and gather input. Remember that this is a trial period for electric carrier. We want to get people involved and flying the event to gather further data for the future of the event and how it will be eventually incorporated into the official rules cycle. This won't start to happen for at least 2 years.

Here are a couple of excerpts from the proposal that are very important:

"They are to become the "electric carrier rules" maintained by the NCS.
They will be the rules used for the 2008 contest season for unofficial competitions, including the
unofficial events at the Nats. We decided not to submit our rules to AMA as Provisional rules
during this rules cycle as we had no experience with the events. This can be reviewed in two
years for the next cycle."

Note that it says  UNOFFICIAL COMPETITIONS, this is to gain experience with the capabilities of the electric systems.

Also:

"Then contest
directors can either combine the electric and gas events or keep them separate, as they choose."

It will be up to the CD to determine how these unofficial events will initially be integrated into each competition.

When there is more data and experience on how electrics perform we can then better judge how to proceed.

I would like to encourage anyone who is interested in this new, and exciting, variation of a very fun and enjoyable event to take the plunge and try something new. I am currently building a 36 profile sized electric to see how what I have learned with the smaller 15 sized plane scales up in performance. I think it will be an interesting project.

There is another forum with some good information at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cl_carrier/

You must sign up to Yahoo newsgroups (which is free) to view and post. There has already been a lot of discussion and technical background published here. Give it a look.

Good luck and start builing!!!

Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 08:23:23 PM »
Zounds!! Electric carrier innovator and current national champ Bob Frogner gets his picture on Page 24 of the new Model Aviation that arrived today, holding his electric carrier ship and identied as..."Pete Mazur" with his "Sig Skyray that was modified for electric power." There just ain't no justice. Fear not Robert, we know who you are. The AeroNuts hat is a giveaway.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 08:56:03 PM »
It was a failed attempt at identity theft. I didn't do it!!!!!!! I'm innocent.
Bob Frogner

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 10:56:35 PM »
Zounds!! Electric carrier innovator and current national champ Bob Frogner gets his picture on Page 24 of the new Model Aviation that arrived today, holding his electric carrier ship and identied as..."Pete Mazur" with his "Sig Skyray that was modified for electric power." There just ain't no justice. Fear not Robert, we know who you are. The AeroNuts hat is a giveaway.

Well, the Control Line coverage in that article mis-identified most of the control liners that were pictured that I know.  I hesitate to add "typical"...

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here