News:

• May 05, 2024, 11:35:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re-kindling Carrier in Big D  (Read 663 times)

Online dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re-kindling Carrier in Big D
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »
Some random thoughts on Carrier flying in the District VIII area:  About ten years ago, with the likes of Bill Bischoff, Mike Greb, the Kirby brothers, et al, Carrier was a busy business almost every weekend at Dallas Hobby Park. Practise was ongoing for the Nats, where these guys, and newbies like myself, enjoyed some real success competitively. New people have to have help, unless they are really gifted mechanically and modelly (is that a word, modelly?) and they provided help-a-plenty.

One of the drawbacks to flying a contest locally is always the "floating of the boat", getting the deck in position. Decks are bulky, and heavy. Pilots such as myself are getting , er, more mature, shall we say? and weaker. Floating the boat in 100 degree heat is tough, after a day's flying, taking down the deck and storing it even tougher. How many old toots does it take to launch a Carrier? Well, try as a club or group might, the strain just gets to be too much. Enter Dick Perry with his light weight, quick launch deck, which he unveiled in Albuquerque last summer.  In a nutshell, it's easier to transport, quick to erect and take down. In our Dallas area, Lt.Col Dave Ek, USMC, took Dick's design and began cutting wood.  I "enjoyed" priming and painting the thing, Dave fitted the connectors, George Hamby made the decals. At the recent DASH contest, Mike Greb flew the inaugural mission with the beloved MO-1, Richard Staight followed suit with his Hellcat. It made its maiden voyage, conducted sea trials, needs work, but is a vast improvement over the old ship, which served well for over a decade.

As interest in Carrier has waned locally, Dave has persisted in his Carrier efforts, you have no doubt seen his A7 Corsair II, the end-all for those who don't like MO-1 (take it to the Nats , Dave!) , and through his efforts, I feel we will see anewed participation in these parts. Thanks, Col, Semper Fi!

Another aspect I've pondered is having our Carrier Contests on a different date instead of combining with Stunt and Racing Contests. Many of our DMAA club members participate in all the events to some degree, and again, the 100 degree heat we endure so often is problematic. Try flying qualifying heats of Quickie Rat, Sport Goodyear, and Goldberg Race, then finals and you've just flown, what, 640 laps?  Say you flew Classic and Old Tyme Stunt yesterday also, and now that it's Sunday, you're entered in CLPA stunt. Time now to go over to Carrier and put up a flight in Profile, .15, Class I or II?  If we flew Carrier and Carrier only at a contest, we wouldn't be spread so thin, and we might even live to a ripe old age....

In case anyone wonders, the USS George Fogerty is named after a close friend of the afore-mentioned Bischoff, Greb, Kirby gang. He passed away tragically, but we like to remember him for his contributions, mostly engine and design ideas, as he was an engineer at LTV.

Like I said earlier, these are just random thoughts, maybe some of them can have a positive effect in your neck of the woods. I'll try to post a picture or two, there are some nice Russum Carrier photos over at SSW.     dg
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:07:43 PM by dale gleason »

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Re-kindling Carier in Big D
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 04:26:03 AM »
Dale, can you give some details on the construction used?
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 11:33:07 AM »
I too  would like to see construction details.  The first carrier contest in Topeka years ago did not have a deck.  Lines were marked on the circle at the appropiate distance.  Then sand bags and lines stretched across it at the locations called for.  Had quite a few flights even had people using other people airplanes.  For practice all that is needed is an arresting line or two.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:07:17 PM »
I'll give it one more shot. Dick's carrier deck was made of 3/8th sheathing (OBS?). The panels were all sawed and spray painted gray. It lay flat on the ground, with a 2x2 at the end to give a slight "ski-jump" effect. It was light enough that one person with long arms could easily carry a segment. It made a stack of about a foot high, fit in a pickup bed. The arresting wires were attached to the deck sides with large binder clips, no hassle with eye-bolts, and when a plane caught the wire, the clips just pulled free. He built and painted it in one afternoon. I think the ability to single-handedly carry out a few segments, toss across a few arresting lines and get in the air without breaking a sweat would increase participation, at least mine!  I'll see if I can get a picture....... dg

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Re-kindling Carrier in Big D
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 04:32:39 AM »
Any details on the deck in Albequerqe?
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Online dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:01:34 AM »
Hi Wayne,
I've made it a little confusing, the above picture is the Albuquerque deck. I'll try to post another. I think Dick may have talked about this in the Navy Carrier Society newsletter, HiLow Landings, or the website.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 05:29:10 AM »
Dale, unfortunately we lost our paved circles in Cleveland years ago. So we fly off of grass these days. Storage and handling are the number one ssues with a deck. Something light and easily set up is the key. We have satisfactory storage and security for most of the year except at Fair time. We utilize the Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds so thats an issue in August. So we are looking for ideas with those things in mind not to mention our age. I do remember the days of putting together the usual size deck, it was really work and time consuming. The Albequerqe deck looked interesting.
We have a core group of five here flying carrier. Years ago Cleveland was a hotbed of Carrier activity plus Dayton and Detroit werent more than three hours. At one time in the seventies there was a deck in Dayton, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Detroit. No lack of contests either.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 07:25:57 AM »
I THINK AS WITH ANY HOBBY YOUVE GOT TO ADVERTISE IT IF YOU WANT MORE PEOPLE PAPERS SENT TO OTHER CLUBS SHEETS HANGING EVERYWHERE NEWS MEDIA LET TV STATIONS KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING(FOR KIDS) WITH R/C KILLING US AS IT ALWAYS DID , WE HAVE TO GET 20 TO 30 YEAR OLD DADS INTERESTED THATS HOW WE DID IT, ARE DADS TOOK US OUT. OF COURSE STILL THERE WAS NO R/C CARS  AND PLANES AND SUCH AND WITH      THE ECONOMY MAYBE THIS IS OUR TIME AGAIN. HOBBYS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AN ESCAPE FOR PEOPLE, WHEATHER FROM WORK OR JUST WANTING TO RELAX OR GET AWAY FROM OUR SPOUSES FOR A BIT OR TO CLEAR THE AIR OR CLEAR OUR MINDS FROM SOMETHING. CARRIER IS A LITTLE BIT EASIER THEN DOIN A THOSE LOOPS AND EIGHTS AND STUFF AND IF YOU GET DIZZY LIKE ME , YOU ALWAYS HAVE THOSE LAST 8 SLOW LAPS TO DO , AND THEN BRING HER HOME. WELL GET THOSE YOUNG 30 AND 40 YR. OLDS TO DO THE HEAVY WORK.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here