News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:32:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: R/C Control handle  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Keith Bauer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
R/C Control handle
« on: April 19, 2010, 08:56:42 PM »
Hi all just finished my R/C 2 channel 2.4 GHz control handle.  Will control throttle, hook release and line slider.  Hope to get to The Brodak fly-in , that is if I get the Bearcat finished and some practice.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: R/C Control handle
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:06:53 PM »
You do realize that this can't be used in sanctioned competition, don't you?
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Keith Bauer

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 05:53:50 AM »
I don't plan on flying at any sanctioned events. I like to fly control line because its fun!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 06:56:12 AM »
Have a great time with it, then!   H^^

I would just hate to see someone drive very far to a contest and not be allowed to fly.  It looks like a very nice job of adding the leadouts -- are those parts from a commercially available handle or did you fabricate them yourself?  Also, what are they anchored to inside the case?

Thanks for posting this --

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:11:47 AM »
In looking at your pix, I just thought of another question -- is the pistol grip equally comfortable with either hand?  I think that most are actually held in the left hand, while the right hand is used to operate the steering wheel.  I also note that you have replace the wheel with a switch, but for me (as a right handed pilot), the switch would be on the "wrong" side of the handle while in flight, but perhaps you are left handed.  What I guess I'm wondering is if the transmitter can be adapted for either hand, or is it available in the "other" hand so someone can do a similar conversion no matter which hand they use?
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Keith Bauer

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 11:09:52 AM »
  The parts are all hand made using a milling machine. The controller feels just fine in my right hand.  The mounting rod goes all the way thru the radio.  The grip area is filled with epoxy and the rod fits into a milled groove in the epoxy.  The unit will be able to any required pull test.  I did think about putting the switch on the back, but it did not fell that awkward reaching it on the front side. 
  I Did not know that the Brodak event was sanctioned. I Will still be there, hoping to compete in the beginner pattern event.  I think its crazy that radio units are not allowed, because with 2.4 GHz the controll units are bullet proof.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 01:18:20 PM »
That's why they have FF, CL, and RC.

You will have no trouble using this in contests if you eliminate the lines and use the radio for up & down.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:03:12 PM »
Just take the antenna off and run the RF down the control lines. It would then be legal I think. Isn't electric control down the wires legal in scale and carrier? Nothing in the rules says what type of signal or does it?

Personally I think it's a silly rule that has seen it's time. The rule was put in place to eliminate the possibility of a CL airplane interfering with an RC airplane which won't happen with todays radios.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »
FF has no control.

CL has control through the lines.

RC has control through the air.

Simple, clear, and well-stated in the rules.
Paul Smith

Offline Keith Bauer

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 07:36:15 PM »
The U/Tronics control system controls the throttle,retracts, ect.  This system does the samething, but uses a 2.4 GHz signal to do it.  The up & down is still controlled by the lines.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 09:57:46 AM »
I like it and with the new radios that eleminate frequency flags what is the problem? ???  The problem is someone didn't think ahead of time to put in a proposal to allow the new 2.4 GHz radios to be used in C/L General section. D>K   When they can fly up to 100 R/C planes on the new 2.4 GHz system without interference, it should be allowed in C/L.  Still require that elevator control has to be still done with lines and bellcrank.  Just might get more people flying control line but, then again too many people showing up to fly may limit our flying time. S?P  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:04:28 AM »
There are a couple of problems with 2.4 Ghz in CL models.  The primary one being not allowed in sanctioned events.   And also it's an insurance killer in case of an accident while sport flying.

But the biggest thing is I don't think anyone has proposed a rules change to allow it, or am I wrong  It just makes common sense to me, but common sense has never been a bureaucrazy strong point.

My bad, for not thinking about making such a proposal.  Maybe the next rules cycle will see one.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 04:44:35 PM »
Tony Nacarrato has been doing this for several years with carrier (and possibly other) models. It is certainly an improved technology over the existing methods of transmitting electrical signals through insulated lines, allowing one to use uninsulated lines without the major drag and hassles that go with the insulated lines. And that might be one of the possible problems a proposal to allow 2.4gHz radios in control line will run into: It will obsolete equipment presently used in competition because it is rather clearly better than the existing equipment. Some might argue that it could make the standard three-line controls obsolete as well. Making existing equipment obsolete is one of the big red flags for all the competition contest boards.
It is not clear to me that there is any problem using this technology in a non-competitive situation, however. I am unaware of the need for equipment to conform to competition rules to be coverd by insurance, as long as it meets, and the user follows the procedures of, the AMA safety codes.
Pete

Offline ooffy

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 05:29:48 PM »
Minor point of correction, but FF now does allow radio DT in FAI class.

FF has no control.

CL has control through the lines.

RC has control through the air.

Simple, clear, and well-stated in the rules.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »
You could just put radios in everything (because it's more modern) and eliminate FF and CL altogether.

Horses and sailboats are obsolete, too, but people still race them for sport, even though engines can go faster.  There is no shortage for RC contests for those who wanht the newest thing.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 09:36:21 AM »
I don't think it would obsolete any control systems.  Flying two wire set ups call for bigger lines also.  And if we want to get people flying we have to do something to make them want to try it.  I would like to see the system in person.  To me this is like saying electric is going to obsolete IC engines.   R%%%%
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 12:11:01 PM »
Re: R/C control from the AMA general.

2. General. A Control Line model is flown on one or more steel wire line(s) or metal line(s) of equivalent strength, attached to the model in a manner providing aerodynamic control of the model’s elevation through manipulation of the control surfaces during flight. Such manipulation of control surfaces, and any other of the model’s operational features, may be accomplished by mechanical means, by electrical impulses transmitted through the line(s), or by any other control system that does not interfere with the control of any other model or present a safety hazard to competitors or spectators. The use of radio control to accomplish any control functions on Control Line models is specifically prohibited.

That sentence needs to be deleted from the general section.  As has been done in the past maybe an URGENT CHANGE/INTERPRETATION can be done by the CL Contest board.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 12:17:51 PM »
Agreed, wished this had come up before the cycle closed.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 12:24:28 PM »
Interestingly enough, looking at the list of Contest Boards there doesn't appear to be one that covers the General Rules.  Who does handle general rules changes?
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 01:13:51 PM »
If I understood Keith Trostle right, now don't take my word for  it but, I think it is the chairperson of eah of the contest rules boards.  As he asked each of us on stuntrules board to send our thinking on them.  Best to contact your dist. rep on it.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 05:28:21 AM »
Re: R/C control from the AMA general.

2. General. A Control Line model is flown on one or more steel wire line(s) or metal line(s) of equivalent strength, attached to the model in a manner providing aerodynamic control of the model’s elevation through manipulation of the control surfaces during flight. Such manipulation of control surfaces, and any other of the model’s operational features, may be accomplished by mechanical means, by electrical impulses transmitted through the line(s), or by any other control system that does not interfere with the control of any other model or present a safety hazard to competitors or spectators. The use of radio control to accomplish any control functions on Control Line models is specifically prohibited.

That sentence needs to be deleted from the general section.  As has been done in the past maybe an URGENT CHANGE/INTERPRETATION can be done by the CL Contest board.

The existance of ONE person who wishes to violate the rule to his own advantage is hardly an "emergency", nor is it grounds to implement an urgent GENERAL rules change.

It would be easier to just install dummy wires at the handle and the airplane and claim that it really isn't RC, as is the common practice.
Paul Smith

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 10:04:03 AM »
After reading the rules change procedures I realize that any such change will have to wait until the next rules cycle.  Still makes sense to me since the intent of the current rule has it's origins when interference was an extremely large problem.  Since that is no longer the case with 2.4 GHz it is IMO a superfluous requirement.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »
A rule that mixes CL and RC and effectively renders all existing Scale and Carrier equipment uncompetitive is a huge thing.  Fortunately we have the wisdom of several Contest Boards on the side of reason.

What frequency it is is of no consequence.  Even in the days of six frequencies, this could have been done, if god's law was to be ignored.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 08:57:57 PM »
Paul, if you are referring to the radio systems now in use, you will find there is no signal going thru the air.  It is all going down two insolated attached to a bellcrank for elevator control.  The signals/pulses are driving servos in the plane for different functions.  I have a set if and when I get around to making a scale plane. R%%%%
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 11:29:41 AM »
A rule that mixes CL and RC and effectively renders all existing Scale and Carrier equipment uncompetitive is a huge thing.  Fortunately we have the wisdom of several Contest Boards on the side of reason.

What frequency it is is of no consequence.  Even in the days of six frequencies, this could have been done, if god's law was to be ignored.

Hogwash.. It's being done legally now, only difference is the method of signal transfer. Using RC equipment won't change anything except make it easier and less expensive. From your posts sounds like you just have a dislike for RC anything and instead of looking at the possibilities you just closed your mind and decided you didn't like it no matter if it might be a good thing or not.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2010, 02:22:37 PM »
As the manufacturer of most of the electronics control units presently being used in Control Line for Navy Carrier and Scale I can assure you that there is NO Radio Frequency Signal being transmitted between the handle and model.

ZERO ZILCH NONE!!!!!

My U/Tronics Control units will pass any test for RF transmission as none is used.  They do comply with the FAI rules that limit us to pulse rates of less than 30 KHz.

I have been supplying these for over 25 years and still people Will claim that RF is used but just not admitted to.  I am tired of reading that we are cheating by sneaking RF into our units.  It is just not so now or ever was true.

Clancy C. Arnold
U/Tronics Control
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 05:12:22 PM »
Clancy, if my post prompted your response I think you need to re-read what I said.

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 10:26:05 AM »
The present control through the lines using U/Tronics units, for example, is both legal and effective. There are people using this in Carrier (and even more so in Scale) and it works for them. The real downside of this is the requirement for insulated lines which add line drag and weight to, as well as reduce reliability (mostly due to breakdown between the lines) of, the system. Allowing R/C would eliminate the need for insulation on the lines, a huge performance improvement. Thus, it would obsolete present through-the-lines electronic control systems used in Carrier competition, as well as, to a lesser extent, those used in Scale competition. How about using an R/C engine shutoff and retract control in Stunt, too? Would that become legal? (I don't know the stunt rules, sorry.)

Now, suppose I were to develop an R/C system with, for example, control of the flaps so that I could have flap position variable, changing between going upwind and going downwind. Really easy to do with R/C, (or with through-the-lines electronic control, but then I'm stuck with the draggy, heavy insulated lines.) If this flap trick really works well, then I have obsoleted all the three-line systems as well.

I think I could enjoy working with the R/C link for C/L sport, but the inclusion of R/C in C/L competition has consequences which could affect the events in adverse ways. Caution here would be wise.

I would also warn about counting on the collective wisdom of the CB Chairs that would vote on a General rules change. They have made some spectacular errors in the past when votiing on changes in general rules that do not bear on their events. They are generally (but not always) willing to listen to comments from people in other events. So if this were to come up as a general rules change, we would need to communicate our concerns to the C/L CB Chairs very clearly.

Pete

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 11:44:54 AM »
To expand very briefly on some other issues which have not been discussed -- by adding radio control transmission (or by omitting the ban on it) you do more than change the Control Line General rules.  You change the safety code - which governs the applicability of insurance coverage to sport flying - probably by adding the whole of the RC safety code.  You make your sites into rc sites which must 'cooperate' with the operators of other, nearby rc sites on the allocation of frequencies, times of operation, etc. (Don't remember the exact wording - I've never given the RC Safety Code more than a brief once-over).  You get the FCC and their (ever-changing) regulations involved in your equipment decisions and operations.  You put the rules for AMA events very much out of step with the current state of the rules in FAI - maybe not a concern in Carrier, but the General CL rules cover all the other events also.  You make frequency control part of your daily operations, just like any other radio control site.  You make EVERY event contest board go through their rules and try to consider how it changes what their rules should or must change to accomodate (or override) this 'non ban'.  You must either live with other frequencies (72 MHz, 75 MHz, 53MHz, 27Mhz are all still legal to use) being uncontrolled or figure out a way to ban them from both competition AND sport flying.  This is just a short list.  I am sure that there are other issues which would all need consideration.

Finally - I think that the notion that this ban is ONLY to prevent possible interference with RC operations is understating it.  There is the very definition of what constitutes a Control Line model and how it is different from a radio controlled model that is also wrapped up in this decision.  I am not sure that blurring that line is a good idea.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 12:06:59 PM »
Hogwash.. It's being done legally now, only difference is the method of signal transfer. Using RC equipment won't change anything except make it easier and less expensive. From your posts sounds like you just have a dislike for RC anything and instead of looking at the possibilities you just closed your mind and decided you didn't like it no matter if it might be a good thing or not.

Doing away with the insulated lines (and the 3rd line) would change EVERYTHING.

The advantages of using out-and-out RC on a CL carrier or scale plane would make these bastard devices instant winners and would drive both 3-line mechanical controls and Clancy's stuff into extinction.

I have nothing against RC in its proper place, which is on an RC field.  If I wanted to fly RC, I'd just fly RC and not try to impose it on Control Line.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 03:30:09 PM »
With out seeing the new 2.6 GHz radios in operation how can you say they would obsolete what we have now.  They are now nothing like the radios we fly normally or I used to fly in which we had frequency flags.  None are needed with the new radios.  That is why park flyers are so popular.  The delay in visual and the input of signal to the throttle, flaps or what ever you would need to operate would take a lot more practice than learning to use sliders.  With the requirement that controls thru the lines is what has made Clancy's set practical.  But, I guess if we still want turn outs of the same old faces in carrier so be it. R%%%%
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Keith Bauer

• New Pilot
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
I don't understand why the safety issue is comming up.  The 2.4 system is safer than any control line system now used.  When a cable breaks, or you have an out of control take off, the engine can not be shut down, but with this system just push the trigger forward and the engine shuts down!

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 04:20:58 PM »
The safty/insurance issue has no bearing.. Just a card some like to play to try and make a point. If you fly your handle the AMA insurance would cover it. Bet most of the guys that play the insurance card do not do a pull test like they should when sport flying. Most of us don't....

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 06:09:17 PM »
I didn't say you make things safer or unsafer - I said the safety CODE would have to change -- To reflect those parts of the RC code having to do with frequency control and site separation would also apply to control line sites.  It isn't a matter of what you do or don't do -- it's a matter of what you MIGHT do or not do.  This is the stuff that insurance underwriters will want to see addressed.

In any case, my point is not that we should or should not allow radio control in control line - it is that there are many more possible ramifications which might need to be addressed when one considers changing any rule - especially in the 'General' section of the rulebook and that when you start to 'blur the line' you get other people involved in "your" sport.  Just food for thought ..
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 08:43:37 AM »
Just how would you use frequency flags on the 2.4  GHz systems when the receiver and transmitter are the units that pick what frequency it is ging to operate on during this flight.  As the way I understand it, when the system is turned off and then back on, both receiver and transmitter, it picks a new channel to comunicate with.   R%%%%
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 07:03:09 PM »
This discushion reminds me of 1985 when Jack Sheeks and I proposed allowing power through the lines for indoor CL flying. See CL Scale column by Bill Boss April 1985 Model Aviation.

We proposed it for CL but guess which Board it was assigned to ---- Yep, RC.  Even worse it was assigned to the Electric RC board.  Their first comment was that it could not be done. 

I wonder how I hit that overhead beam on a wingover if the plane could not fly???

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »
Frankly, about the only possible operational problem I can see here would be the added weight of a reciever, battery pack, and servos, especially for carrier or PA.  Also, a transmitter converted to a CL handle  looks like it would be a bit awkward if not well done.  As far as re-writing the definitions, just write the new rule to specify that only 2.4 GHz radios could be used.  That would effectively reduce frequency interferences.  Anybody who might try to use one of the other frequencies for sport flying would try it no matter what any rule says.  As far as allowing the modified RC system for CL competition, that could be a matter of voting or polling among the regular participants.  As for me, I'd be tempted to try a similar system for sport flying.
Tony

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here