News:

• May 02, 2024, 11:38:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Proper Balance  (Read 1096 times)

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Proper Balance
« on: September 10, 2006, 09:12:21 PM »
Went out this AM to do a little testing on the latest 109T. First was some flights without the quarter wave muffler that I usualy use in carrier. I noticed that the plane was very stable in the hang in all quarters of the circle. I could add throtle, cut throtle and there wasnt enough trim change to notice or correct which had not been the norm with is plane. Next I put the muffler back on and put in a couple more flights and noticed I was back to fighting the dreaded tail sag on the down wind quarter of the circle. Now mind you that this plane was balanced pretty far to the rear with the muffler on and when I took it off for testing I said a little prayer before take off that it would still be able to fly the HS portion and not be too tail heavy. Well it flew great in the HS and so much better in the LS and it was because of a slight shift of the CG to the rear. When I put the muffler back on the CG shifted ever so little to the front and it was just enough to make the plane pretty miserable in the LS portion of the flight. So again I was reminded how important it is to fly your plane to adjust it to the proper balance. Dont just balance it at the proper visual point on the plane, fly it as you move the CG aft and when you can no longer fly the HS portion of the flight move the CG just forward enough so you regain HS stability. Some planes can handle a lot of aft CG and still fly the HS portion quite well while other planes will not tolerate an aft CG and be unmanageable. Each and every plane will be different. eric

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Proper Balance
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 07:55:14 PM »
Well here I go replying to my own topic. I think I should add a little more to this tail sag thing and the proper balance. The carrier plane needs to be balance so that the controls are as neutral as possible during the LS portion of the flight. This does conflict with what you want in the HS portion but the two can be balanced out so you can get good results with both. The reason that you get the sag during the down wind portion is much the same as when you fly in say a 6 to 8mph breeze and you notice that the plane will tend to climb when going into the wind and loose altitude when going out of the wind. You can correct for this with the elevator with a little down while flying up wind and then neutral or up elevator while going down wind, this all works pretty good if you have plenty of airspeed. Now in the LS or hang portion of the carrier flight you are going very slow so you will spend some time in each quarter of the circle and when you make altitude adjustments with the throttle( throttle changes altitude and elevator changes angle of attack) the elevator needs to be as neutral as possible or when you add throttle and you are carrying up elevator the tail will be blown down( the deaded sag). I see this quite often and its usually repeated over and over again many time during the same flight. This is caused by the plane being nose heavy, causing the pilot to carry to much up elevator to hold the hang, adding throttle while holding up elevator instead of neutalizing or feeding a little down elevator before you add throttle to adjust altitude. So if the plane is balanced properly and the elevator is neutral when you start down wind and you see you are loosing altitude you add throttle and the plane gains altitude just as planned. I hope that  anyone having this problem and not understanding this explanation will make a reply and let me know so I can do some more explaining. This is one of the most common errors that I see in carrier and it can be overcome with a little effort. eric

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 09:23:17 PM »
Power controls altitude, attitude controls airspeed.  Just like full size aircraft.

BTW, the test pilot schools use gliders in part of the training for new test pilots and flight engineers.  Without an engine, it is easier to see the relationships.

We just have so much excess HP available it is sometimes hard to see the relationship.

Dave

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 01:47:09 PM »
Well I was at a Carrier contest last week and I noticed one of the fliers having quite a time with his LS flight. The plane was going in and out of the hang and climbing and diving while the throtle setting was never steady, and usually this flier turned in some very good flights?? After his 3rd attempt at a good flight I heard him say that he had worked on this plane and one of the things he had done was remove weight from the tail and had not had enough time to test fly it before the contest. I checked for the CG and found it to be about 1/2'' aft of the leading edge? With the CG that far forward you would be lucky to get it in the hang and for sure you would not be able to hold it in the hang in all quarters of the circle. Sure must of had a stable HS though. It was another reminder that in AMA Carrier the CG needs to be as far aft as possible and still allow you to do the HS portion of the flight. eric

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 11:03:33 AM »
Thanks Eric for the info.  All these years of flying carrier off and on I just never took the time to really learn the hang.  Also it was never explained to me like you have just stated.  I was always told to throttle back and give up elevator.  I think that was the demise of the Melton Gaurdian I had for a while.  Low speed was good at about a 15 degree angle.  Anymore and it would flop on its back.  Now maybe I can get my profile MO-1 in the air as well as the profile gaurdian  again.  The MO-1 is almost 2 years old and never been flown yet.   Thanks again,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here