News:

• May 05, 2024, 12:38:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: profile engine size  (Read 2519 times)

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
profile engine size
« on: March 22, 2009, 02:38:20 PM »
  I am going to try a rule change the next cycle. I would like some feed back from all pro or con on this. I am going to propose increasing the engine size in AMA profile carrier from .36 to 4.0. I know this has been proposed before and failed but I think it is time to try again. Going to a .40 would widen the engine selection greatly and remove excuse of having to purchase a new engine just for carrier. I also think with the large selection of used .40s on e-bay and swapmeets it would be very economical for a novice to get involved.The change would also allow a flier to build a class I airplane without the cost of another engine. This change would also put us in line with other countries that use the .40 in profile.
  As for making .36 size engines obsolete, it has been my experience that there isn't really a lot of difference in performance between the two. Many competition engines use a .40 case with a .36 sleeve and piston so it would be easy to swap for a .40 if desired.
Please give it some thought and let me know yea or nae.    Mike Potter

mike potter

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: profile engine size
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »
An OK idea, but I would say, change it to .25.  And say plain bearing, normal rotation while you're at it.

That would clearly open up the event to more people and make it substantially different and cheaper than Class I which was the original intent.

Either change would equally screw everybody who invested time and money into 36's.

You are correcto-mundo, Johnny, Profile could use an engine change.

With engines producing 2 to 3 times the power of when the rules were written, the LAST thing we need a change to a BIGGER engine.

Maybe if you want to standandize Profile and Class I, they could BOTH go to .25.  That would open up the narrow gap between I & II.

Paul Smith

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 05:16:52 PM »
Paul,
I must disagree, as a stunt flyer, I have drawers full of 40 engines, not so much for 25. If you want me to fly carrier it will be by going to a 40 which I have plenty of. besides that, smaller airplanes are harder to fly so that is a negative.
No if you want to enhance it, you need it to be with an engine change that everyone has already not one that most will have to buy.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 07:55:45 AM »
Wellll, "everybody who flys" is somthing like 10 guys.   Rather than a rule change that further entrenches the aging old guard, maybe it's time for a NEW rule that might bring in New people.  The OS 25RC is readily available, cheap, and throttles well. 

Increasing the engine size to give it over to $500 high performance racing 40's might do the near-impossible, make the event even smaller.
Paul Smith

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 08:40:11 AM »
or it might bet me,, and about 4 or 5 other guys here in this area that have never flown it because we dont have appropriate engines to fly it
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »
Before making any rules proposal make sure you consider all the pros and cons.   I too would love to see Profile Carrier go to a ready available engine.  Those in the know and have the cash can get Nelsons set up for todays PC.  Even tho left hand props are hard to come by. 

But, getting changes thru the top echelon is hard to do.  I have made suggestions on how to improve attendance only to be put down.  Fifteen carrier has not really caught on it seems to me.  The left hand engine availability again. 

I have several engines I have been using in Profile, but, they can't compare to a hinking left hand Nelson.  Maybe try a seperate event sometime with only the .25 size engine size limit, but, also maybe out law left hand engines.  Also remember to require mufflers and 10% fuel.  It is sad that with the new requirement the AMA has on pre entries deciding how many trophies can be handed out is pitiful.  Several events only had one trophy, First, to hand out. 

Anyway, I think we might get some youngsters envolved if we an engine that can be had without knowing somebody or a rich relative.  My take,  DOC Holliday R%%%%
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:48:49 AM »
Shortage of suitable engines for the .36 event....there isn't one.  OS-32, Super Tigre .34, Thunder Tigre .36, Magnum .36. Webra .32,  Evo .36...  OK, they are not in the Nelson's league but for any event short of the Top 3 at the Nats are very competative.  In addition they are inexpensive, available, easy to run and are relatively light and well proportioned for the size of current profile designs.  I don't mention the OS 35FP here because it is down on performance but it could be included on the list.  In addition you can convert some (Mag and TT 36 anyway) to C/L specs and have a top-drawer stunt engine if you want to try another event.   I won't go into the reasons why carrier has decreased in popularity because that topic has been beaten to death however IMHO the engine restriction is not a valid reason.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:06:12 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »
REALITY CHECK TIME!!!

I agree with Pete Cunha about the availability of good 36 sized engines. The Thunder Tiger 36 pro is a good engine and people have scored well over 300 points using it. They are inexpensive, I got one for $35 at a swap meet last year and Tower sells them for $81 new.

Someone wrote:

"Either change would equally screw everybody who invested time and money into 36's."

Is this supposed to be for the change or against it? It seems to me that if that is the case the event would loose competitors.

Other quotes:

"Wellll, "everybody who flys" is somthing like 10 guys.
Fifteen carrier has not really caught on"

If this is the case then why is the NCS top 20 full each year with at least 20 names. Look at the facts!

"This change would also put us in line with other countries that use the .40 in profile.

And what other countries would that be? Canada uses AMA regs, England has not engine size requirement, and on top of that I am not aware of any international carrier competitions. This point is mute.

As for making .36 size engines obsolete, it has been my experience that there isn't really a lot of difference in performance between the two. Many competition engines use a .40 case with a .36 sleeve and piston so it would be easy to swap for a .40 if desired."

If there is little difference between the 36 and the 40 in performance tell that to someone in Class I that needs a motor!!!
So if a person wants to enter carrier and only has a 36 they have to spend money to upgrade it to a 40? That doesn't sound economical.

If there was a compelling reason to change the engine size I would support it but all of the arguments posted so far are pointless and would do nothing to draw new people into carrier and obsolete the equipment of those that do fly the event. The entry level for carrier, Sportsman Class, is still open to anyone who would like to try it without the need for a killer, lefthand, Nelson. Most people do not enter a new event with the idea of beating people who have flown the event for 5, 10 or 20 years. They just want to try something new. Changing the engine size is not the way to attract new participants at the expense of all those who have worked hard within the current rules to succeed.
Bob Frogner

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 02:12:22 PM »
Profile Carrier was the most popular in the late 1960's when the engine rule was:

Plain bearing - stock - RC 35 - with baffled piston.

That rule, which let you buy a K&B Greenhead or OS Max III and have an equal chance to compete was picked apart, one item at at time, until now it's open one-of-a-kind, custom built left-hand crank 36's.

So what's being proposed now? A further increase in power and price to an already overpowered and overpriced event.

I have unsuccessfully opposed every power-and-price increasing rules change thus far, and been beaten every time.  So once more won't be a surprize.  What the hey, go for a 46 - fits the same mounts.

Paul Smith

Online Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 06:26:23 PM »
I look at Mike's proposed change and I see an attempt, not to increase performance or drop performance or deal with a shortage of .36 engines, but to deal with a shortage of participants by opening the event up to an engine size that many folks already have and might be willing to use in an attempt to try the event.

Dave

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 10:30:31 AM »
Old stunt guy thinking about carrier.. Checked out the Carrier group and find this thread.. Thought profile carrier was an entry level event, sounds like I would need to buy a reverse rotation Nelson to be at all competitive. No thanks, was planning on using an old G21-35 left over from my combat day's. I agree with those that think upping the displacement is the wrong way to go if you are looking to get more entries.

Make it so us old combat/stunt guys can use what we have and at least be able to make a showing, you might be surprised who would show up.

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 12:26:17 PM »
     Let me get this straight, you want to fly and be competitive in profile carrier with your old G-21-35 and if you cant be competitive with that equipment then you don't want to fly profile carrier? Well would it be alright for me to say  (with a straight face) I would like to be competitive in stunt with my old johnson 32 but I guess it would take a modern stunt engine to compete so I guess I wont? I've heard so many excuses to not fly carrier and almost all of them come down to "I would fly carrier but I want to compete but I don't want to build a plane, perhaps buy an engine, practice and all the other things that a feller would have to do if he wanted to enter and compete in any other CL event".
     Another thing that gets to much press is the reverse crank excuse. Yes my engines have reverse cranks and my excuse for that is that when I started carrier flying I wanted to compete and win and I read that the reverse cranks make it easier to fly the event so as a beginner I bought engines with reverse cranks. Well guess who the guys are and what kind of crank shafts that they use that I have never come close to beating. First there is the late Bill Melton who was almost untouchable in all of the AMA events and now there is Pete Mazur who has been the man to beat in AMA carrier for the last few years. These guys don't fly with reverse crank engines because they feel that it would limit there choice of propellers there by handicapping them.
      To be competitive in AMA Profile Carrier you first have to have a plane that is proven to fly well (in most cases thats the MO-1) and then you need an engine that is proven to work well in carrier (there are a number of engines out there and there would be allot more if .40s were allowed) and to start off it doesn't have to be a Nelson because you will need to practice for a year before you can hope to be in a competitive position. Just like all the rest of the AMA CL events (the carrier event is probably the easiest or I wouldn't be flying it) that people seek out and then decide to compete in.
     Sign me up for a yea Mike. eric

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 12:40:53 PM »
Let me add another small reality check: A left hand engine is not necessary to win in Profile Carrier. They were popular and very successful with Texans who had access to left hand Wiley engines. They also flew in horrendous winds more than most of us. Most of us who are highly competitive do not use left hand engines. A good-running, stock Nelson .35 combat engine with an OS carb stuck in with JB-weld is highly competitive. It is not cheap, although there are a lot of old fast combat guys selling off stuff, it seems, so maybe you can find one at a good price.
People wanting to get into the event need not plan on winning the Nats the first time, unless it is in Sportsman, the right place for new fliers. Or .15, if you like the small airplanes. Or Skyray, very successful in the Midwest, which allows up to .40. Or electric, which I find more fun anyway, but that's another thread.
On the engine list, don't forget Webra .32 and .36 and Irvine .36.
By the way, perhaps Profile was a beginners event once, but by the time I got into Profile carrier, that was clearly no longer the case. People in the '70's at the top were running Tigre .35C's which had been fitted, polished and tuned to levels mere mortals could only dream of. They looked stock, but an out-of-the-box engine didn't have a chance. The rules change emphasizing low speed reduced that advantage somewhat, but it was still an engine-tuner's event. Top competition still requires a strong (but not necessarily the strongest) engine. But more important is a dead-reliable and controllable idle. I will take the idle quality over the peak high speed any time. And idle quality isn't expensive, it just takes time and effort to get right.
Pete

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 01:26:56 PM »
Sorry I got to rambling there, so let me get back on-topic and answer Mike's original question. I would suggest not changing the Profile engine size to .40. Beginners have lots of options for obtaining low cost (less than$100) engines that will work very well for their first several years of competition, if not even longer. If they really want to use their old R/C .40, there is Skyray: Just get the local contest directors to hold the event. It really is fun and provides a good learning mechanism without a lot of investment, either time or money, in airplane or engine. Changing the event to try to snag a few beginners doesn't usually work and the unintended consequences sometimes result in the a few more of the regular Carrier guys dropping out, giving a net loss in participation.

Pete

Joejust

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 03:56:10 PM »
To Bob Reeves, check out yoiur PM, I just sent you a set of rules for the Postal Carrier Contest that is being held through the two months of April and May. This just might be up your alley.  Also dont forget nostalga carrier, your ST.35 will garner an additional bonus point for period engines use.

Now, my 2 cents on Mike's proposal....Dont offer it!  Instead get together with me and submit the idea of skill classes in carrier. That was a project that got swept aside several years ago when proposed to the NCS. Perhaps it is a bertter idea today than then.  From all the mail and phone calls I have gotten in the last two years it is evident that there are many that want to give carrier a try, but dont want to re-invent the wheel. Many are NOT AT ALL interested in pushing the envelope in competition and want some venue to get started.  One the other hand many want to compete and be competitive. They are important too, and need to be helped by articles like Mr./ Conley's info on the Flying Lines site. In  my humble opinion we need to help all of them that show an interest.

Pictured below is a Brodak Mustang morphed for carrier. It is powered by an LA .25. Easy to build, own, fly for fun.  My carrier articles in CLW have garnered a great deal of interest so far.  There is interest out there, we only need to harvest some of it.

Joe Just

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »
Hi Joe, received the email, don't have the right software on this computer to open the attachment but will look at it tomorrow on my main computer. Thanks, you have always been most helpfull.

Offline Peter Mazur

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »
Let me add another suggestion, rather directly on-topic here. The concern is that newcomers will be encouraged if they can use one of their old .40's (or a cheap one from eBay or other source) in Profile. These people should be flying in Sportsman Profile, of course. Sportsman is an NCS event rather than an AMA one. It would be easy for the local contest management to specify that .40's are allowed. They might choose to add, "Engines of .3662 to .4028 cubic inch displacement are permitted as long as, in the opinion of the Event Director, they are not of a modern racing engine type but rather a sport, stunt, or R/C type." This would be easy to do, not likely to be an enforcement problem, and gets newcomers flying in the right event right away.
Pete

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here