News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:56:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Postal Carrier Contest & new handle and BC announcement  (Read 1503 times)

Joejust

• Trade Count: (0)
Postal Carrier Contest & new handle and BC announcement
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:33:35 AM »
Sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men go astray. With that in mind an d forgetting for a moment the original source, let me say that while the idea of holding a Postal Carrier Contest was and still is a noble endeavor, it did need a bit more thought than was originally considered.  The entry in the Postal Carrier contest has been to put it mildly a disappointment.  In reviewing the problem the PCC staff sat and pondered, wrote and called some potential participants and came up with what may be the solution.

The targeted flyer was one that either didn't either enter Carrier competition or didn't have any Carrier activity in his or her area in which to compete.We had assumed that there was some latent desire in those two regards.  While convinced that there was that desire we came on the i9idea that the group we were trying to get involved were faced with two [problems that may have been a bit too much to ask our intended newbie.

THE PROBLEM:  Initial cost to get started in flying with three lines.  New handles and bell cranks cost about $75 from Brodak's  and the sets of three lines cost about $17.  The interested party7 with ;limited access to second hand handles or cranks, or failing to find them on Ebey or such was faced with an initial start up cost of roughly $90!  Add to that the cost of a kit or scratch built materials can be a limiting factor in the failure to get started in Carrier flying.  What to do?

First, the PCC crew would like to affirm the following.  We do feel that the equipment avail;.able from the Brodak company is superior in quality and is a must for full blown Carrier competition!

Having said that, and with the full knowledge of the Brodak company we are going to make available to the neophyte carrier pilot handles and bell cranks that will cost less than the aforementioned companies' products.  For the past several years we have been experamenting with alternative bellcranks for three line flying, and also with an economical three line handle (see attachments)  This combination has proven to be very good and reliable in flying Carrier planes from the .15 to the .36 size profile ships.  they have been extensively test4ed in the two sizes of profile Carrier planes and will enable not only the beginner, but also the more advanced Carrier pilot to enjoy the fun and thrill of flying with three lines.

The bell cranks are not original to any of us involved with the management of the PCC.  The design has been available for many years. We simply have built them at a very low cost as a cheaper way of inducing interest.

The three line handles are basically made from 1/2" two side finished plywood.  One advantage in using this handle is its' ability to adjust line length easily, a feature not found in commercial handles.  Because the .15 size carrier plane does not pull as hard as the larger ships, the leadouts are thinner, but fully strong enough.  Should the pilot wish to change wire lead out size the now offered handle can change out line easily

While there will be an announcement in the "for sale" portion of this site, it might behoove us to note the prices here as well.  The handles are $20 each, the bell cranks are $10 each.

Contact me for further info and pictures.  Sure hope this will help increase the beginner participation in Carrier flying.

Joe Just 

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Postal Carrier Contest & new handle and BC announcement
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:50:30 PM »
Didn't start on the right in of the posts.  See bellcrank post.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:58:32 PM »
Did you get results from Rouge Park, May 17th.

The ruling junta promised to submit them.  If not, I will ping them again.
Paul Smith

Joejust

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:21:48 AM »
Paul, got the NCS bulliten yesterday. Do you wish your .15 score to be listed in the Postal Contest?

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Input to postal contest from Beanfield Gand Prix, Dresden, June 27, 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »
Joe, here is some input for your postal contest.

This event was Profile Carrier, flown with a stock LA 25RC.

Demo flight - Paul Smith Hi 56.4 MPH, Low points 27.5, landing 100 = 183.96.

First place - Leonard Bourel 53.9 MPH, Low points 28.9, landing 100 = 183.80.
Second Place - Keith Morgan 56.1 MPH, Low points 26.8, landing 100 = 182.92.
Third Place - Walt Dordolo 56.2 MPH, Low points 26.7, lamding 100 = 182.84.
Fourth Place - Dan Birks 54.0 MPH, Low points 25.8, landing 100 = 179.88.
Fifth - Stewart Henderson 54.0 MPH, Low points 24.6, landing 100 = 178.61.
Sixth - Jon Brzys - 52.0 MPH, Low points 24.0, landing 100 = 176.03.

Posted by Paul Smith from Brad's computer.

If you happen to notice the scores are kinda close, that's cause all seven flyers used the same model.  Other than the owner, this was the first carrier flight for all the entrants.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 06:38:17 AM »
This has to be one of the most convoluted threads in web site histroy, and I'm one of the biggest offenders, but let me try to swing it back to the issue of a proper low-cost handle to use for throttle control.

During my lifetime a modeler, the same basic handle has gone up for the $20 I paid in 1968 to about $55 today.  However, I was out flying last weekend and that same old handle, with some plywood in place of the old plastic sides, still worked fine for me and six other flyers.

Compared to the price jumps for a card of glow plugs, a gallon of dope, and a Flite Streak kit, all of which are comsumed in a short period of time, $55 for a lifetime asset is not a real burden.   We've all paid a lot more than that for a engine that doesn't perform like it should.

My advice to anyone who wants to fly carrier, scale, or just sport planes with a throttle is shoot the $55 and get a proper handle.  The kinematics inside that mysterious unit balance the forces between the three lines in magical ways that a simple substitute cannot comprehend. If you quit, you can no doubt, ebay it and recover your investment.

Paul Smith

Joe F Just

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 09:19:10 AM »
Joe, here is some input for your postal contest.

This event was Profile Carrier, flown with a stock LA 25RC.

Demo flight - Paul Smith Hi 56.4 MPH, Low points 27.5, landing 100 = 183.96.

First place - Leonard Bourel 53.9 MPH, Low points 28.9, landing 100 = 183.80.
Second Place - Keith Morgan 56.1 MPH, Low points 26.8, landing 100 = 182.92.
Third Place - Walt Dordolo 56.2 MPH, Low points 26.7, lamding 100 = 182.84.
Fourth Place - Dan Birks 54.0 MPH, Low points 25.8, landing 100 = 179.88.
Fifth - Stewart Henderson 54.0 MPH, Low points 24.6, landing 100 = 178.61.
Sixth - Jon Brzys - 52.0 MPH, Low points 24.0, landing 100 = 176.03.

Posted by Paul Smith from Brad's computer.

If you happen to notice the scores are kinda close, that's cause all seven flyers used the same model.  Other than the owner, this was the first carrier flight for all the entrants.

Brad, thanks for the scores. We will have to reduce the landing scores to 50 points each to fit the PCC rules, but that should not change the placin gs. Right now we are in a holding pattern due to some serious health problems plus a compujter crash when I got home from Brodak's. Your results are exactly what the PCC team was looking for, newbies!  I think the big prize of closest to the average entries will really be close.  Also, would it be possible to get maili9ng address of the contestants or possible prize awards?
Joe Just

Joe F Just

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »
Paul, While I agree that $55 is a good investment, and all our rules and promotions for getting started in Carrier note how much better the Brodak line is, there still remains the problem of initial cost in getting started. Our handles and bell cranks are designed to get someone started not competitive right off the start.  Our research into the decline of carrier flying has noted that initial startup cost is a factor. 
we of course note that the Brodask line is superior and advise anyone starting to look toward that line.  For those that are not positive they want to stay in Carier, we feel our economical set up is a wize choice.
Joe Just (formally known on this forumn as Big country Joe

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here