News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:48:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: photo of MO-1 at Glen L Martin Museum  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
photo of MO-1 at Glen L Martin Museum
« on: January 17, 2008, 05:27:46 PM »
this was taken at the Glenn L. Martin Museum near Baltimore, MD

Tom Wilk

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: photo of MO-1 at Glen L Martin Museum
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 04:33:42 AM »
Wheres the hook!
Wayne Buran
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Online Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 05:44:02 AM »
That looks like a seaplane being cataputed off a battleship.

Is a battleship the same thing as an aircraft carrier? 

If so, we have a few more designs available.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 09:11:10 AM »
Yes that is a battleship and they were catapulted launched.  They would land in the ocean and be picked up with a hoist.  The non-float version that had standard landing gear had a hook that was attached to the spreader bar on the landing gear.  It was landed at the stern of the ship which had a cable for the hook to grab.  I often wondered how they kept them from nosing over with that setup, but, I guess with the speed of the ship and the slowness of the plane there was no problem.  Now before you make a statement about hook locations, if all the carrier models were required to have hook as the real plane 99% would be illegal.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 11:54:41 AM »
this is a rubber powered model also on display at the Glenn L. Martin Museum.

TA Wilk

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »

Is a battleship the same thing as an aircraft carrier? 

If so, we have a few more designs available.

Before you start building something totally new, I suggest a reading of the rule book as to the definition of prototypes that will get you scale points.

8.1. A scale model of a carrier aircraft of any nation, provided it displays the national markings of the using nation, shall receive bonus points. A carrier aircraft is any man-carrying aircraft which was successfully flown and which meets at least one (1) of the following requirements:
       a. Aircraft made actual carrier-type takeoff and arrested landing on an actual or simulated carrier
           deck, or
       b. Aircraft is designated as a carrier aircraft by an acceptable source (in cases where actual
           carrier-type takeoff and arrested landing are not documented).

This is not to imply that the MO-1 is either legal or illegal.  This is to clarify that getting shot off a battleship doesn't make something a "Carrier Aircraft".  It's the arrested landing that does.  For instance, P-40's were launched from carriers, but not recovered aboard them.  P-51's on the other hand, were tested in a navalized version that did make arrested landings.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 01:37:46 PM »
This photo proves that a PBJ-1 (B-25) made a carrier landing. the pilot was Lt. Cdr. H.S. Bottomley on the USS Shangila on 15 November 1944.

TA Wilk

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Boy I bet that cinched up his drawers a little.  Now I need plans so I can build one for carrier.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 07:30:08 AM »
Doc;
profile, class 1 or class 2? 

maybe i can find sonething for you.

Tom

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 05:14:22 PM »
None, while pulling stuff down for the RC swap meet, I discovered I have 3 Brodak Profile Gaurdians,  2 profile Skyraiders, a profile Corsair,  a Dumas profile Corsair, 2 Sterling Gaurdians and a Profile MO-1 kit that was designed by Richard Perry.  Probably more but I quit counting.  I need to start on the profile Corsair that Eric sent the plans for to me.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 08:07:22 AM »
Don't they give extra points for twin engines?

Tom

Joejust

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 09:47:38 AM »
Tom, did the museum have any info on the MO-8?  The O8 was designed for navel usage aboard ship. It has a rectangular wing instead of the tapered wing of the O1.  I have often thought it would be a better carrier plane than the O1.
Joe

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 10:56:35 AM »
sent to my father with plans in '68 from Don Gerber.
AMA 13001

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 11:01:18 AM »
I don't know who Charles Reeves was but, this was the documentation Don was using when he brought the MO-1 on the seen and was kicking everyones a$$  class I left hand rotation Torp. .40.

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 10:30:40 PM »
Charlie Reeves is a well known stunt flier and designed and flew and published a Bell Airabonita Class 1 Carrier design in the mid sixties.
Chris...

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 04:42:56 AM »
In all the years that I flew carrier and followed it I have yet to see documentation of an arresting hook on the aft of the MO-1. Where's the hook!
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 07:49:54 AM »
Why no hook?  Because the aircraft landed slowly enough the arresting gear as we think of it today wasn't needed.  At one time the cables ran the length of the landing area and hooks on the landing gear spreader bar were used to engage them.  They weren't to stop the aircraft but to keep them from going off the deck to the side of the ship.

The idea of using arresting cables across the landing to stop an aircraft on an operational carrier using a tailhook on the aircraft was a British development post WW1.

Cables and sandbags were used when Ely landed on the platform placed on the Pennsylvania.  But she was stationary when he landed and it was a very short landing area.  The pictures on the web page show the approach and landing.  That took guts to try.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/events/ev-1910s/ev-1911/ely-pa2.htm

As you look at the photo sequence you can see he approach very slowly in the last bit of the flight (nose high attitude).  I can't see any type of cable engagement mechanism on the airplane.  It might like some runway barrier designs where the cables went up over the wheel and caught on the landing gear strut.

There is a record of a Cessna O-1 Bird Dog landing on a US Carrier of the coast of Vietnam in 1975.  Obviously no arresting hook and not an "official" carrier trial, but accomplished.  but wouldn't that make a pretty carrier model?

Dave

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »
Ty,

Do you have any idea when these pictures were published? If we could zero in on the time frame a little research could put this whole topic to rest!!!!

Thanks
Bob
Bob Frogner

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 08:24:11 PM »
  A few years ago I did some research on this subject. I went to the US naval aviation museum and inquired about the MO-1. They came up with some nice 8x10 photos and I bought 3 at about $15 each. Kind of spendy but I collect this kind of stuff . One photo shows an MO-1 naked with no skin, no hook visable. The other two I have are side views, no hook visible. These are 8x10 copies from original negatives and are very sharp and clear. I haven't seen a whole lot of MO-1 photos, maybe 12, but none had a hook. My conclusion is MO-1s didn't have a hook.
  I think the carrier rules were changed to accommodate this fact. The rules went from "made a carrier landing" to "made a carrier landing or designed to land on a carrier deck" soon after the MO-1 became popular.                 
  The hooks that were on some early aircraft axles were indeed to keep the aircraft from going over the side. They were called anthwurp (sp) hooks.
  The O-1 bird dog that landed aboard the USS Midway during the evacuation of Saigon was flown by Major Bung Ly with his family on board.
                                                     Mike Potter
mike potter

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 09:23:21 PM »
     Geezz Mike why didn't you scan your pictures into the forum. Here are three picture that I'm pretty sure you sent me a while back. A pretty homely looking old girl no matter how you look at it. Funny how much we are putting into this subject as most of us don't exactly care for this plane in carrier events although it is sure easy to build for CL-1 and 2 and you cant beat the performance. eric

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 12:20:20 AM »
It doesn't exactly capture the imagination with the power and punch of an F4U or F8F, though.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 07:07:12 PM »
Well here's the deal for me. I build a Guardian rendition with a hook and try to snag a line with it. Or a Mustang, Airbonita, Bearcat et al. Along comes the high wing MO-1 and suddenly a no hook airplane is OK. Kinda like having a engine shutoff on a stunter and everyone else fidling with trying not to over run. Something just ain't right. Might not bother some but it has always bothered me.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 09:55:58 PM »
WELL LIKE IT OR NOT THAT IS EXACTLY THE WAY IT WENT DOWN. IT ALSO DIDN'T TAKE LONG TO CHANGE THE ENGINE REQUIREMENT OF DEAD STOCK PLAIN BEARING ENGINE TO ANYTHING GOES. BUT ALL IN ALL IT'S STILL A BUNCH OF FUN NOW ISN'T IT?     MIKE  #^
mike potter

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 04:15:25 AM »
Yep its still fun.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 10:04:19 AM »
Well here's the deal for me. I build a Guardian rendition with a hook and try to snag a line with it. Or a Mustang, Airbonita, Bearcat et al. Along comes the high wing MO-1 and suddenly a no hook airplane is OK. Kinda like having a engine shutoff on a stunter and everyone else fidling with trying not to over run. Something just ain't right. Might not bother some but it has always bothered me.
Thanks
Wayne

Been going on for 30+ years and nobody filed a protest until the last year I ran carrier.  Then it was over the fuel tanks not being completely enclosed.  The MO-1's in question had been flown in  previous NATS with no problem.  Nobody has ever made a proposal to correct that.  They worry more about the clearance around the protruding parts than the fuel tank it seems.  I was not flying carrier when the slider made it thru and can't get no support to eliminate it.  But, then again I am learning to hang the plane in an unreal attitude.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 04:36:21 AM »
Unfortunately the MO-1 has galled me since day 1.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Joejust

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 07:49:42 AM »
Been going on for 30+ years and nobody filed a protest until the last year I ran carrier.  Then it was over the fuel tanks not being completely enclosed.  The MO-1's in question had been flown in  previous NATS with no problem.  Nobody has ever made a proposal to correct that.  They worry more about the clearance around the protruding parts than the fuel tank it seems.  I was not flying carrier when the slider made it thru and can't get no support to eliminate it.  But, then again I am learning to hang the plane in an unreal attitude.  DOC Holliday

Doc, you and I know why there has never been any protest!  There are some sacred cows,right?
oe

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 09:09:46 AM »
Hey Joe, don't want to ruffle any feathers.  I get my G-S(Roberts) Bearcat out once in awhile.  Can't see flying sportsman/nostalgia any more when they allow sliders and Nelson engines.  Of course this Webra isn't too shabby, but, slightly better than the Super Tigre.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2008, 09:34:20 AM »
Sliders aren't allowed in nostalgia! You can try to hang and some people can do it without a slider. If you look at the old rules the angle of low speed flight was not regulated. When sliders first came out a limit of 30 degrees was set . Then in a few years changed to 60 degrees. So get out the Bearcat and compete and don't worry about the hang thing.   Mike
                           #^
mike potter

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2008, 09:46:42 AM »
Sliders aren't allowed in nostalgia! You can try to hang and some people can do it without a slider. If you look at the old rules the angle of low speed flight was not regulated. When sliders first came out a limit of 30 degrees was set . Then in a few years changed to 60 degrees. So get out the Bearcat and compete and don't worry about the hang thing.   Mike
                           #^

The last NATS I flew Nostalgia in, the winner had a slider and Nelson engine.  I was also circle judge again for the umpteenth time.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 10:03:42 AM »
NOSTALGIA CL NAVY CARRIER                  ALL THE RULE WOULD NOT FIT CHECK OUT RULE 3.2   Mike
(1 January 1999)                                   
1.  Philosophy:  The Nostalgia Navy Carrier event offers Carrier flyers an opportunity for additional Navy Carrier competition in a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere.  It recreates an earlier period of Navy Carrier flying which predated the prop-hanging slow flight which characterizes today's competition.  As the years separate us more and more from the models, engines, and flying styles that formed the beginnings of the modern event, Nostalgia Navy Carrier will help to keep alive the memory of those earlier years.  Because the models are simpler than those used in modern competition, Nostalgia Navy Carrier may introduce new flyers to Navy Carrier competition.

2.  Applicability:  The CL Navy Carrier rules as published in the 1974-1975 AMA Official Model Aircraft Regulations shall govern this event except as modified below.

3.  Model Requirements:  Model design is unrestricted except as specified below and in the AMA Official Model Aircraft Regulations.  To encourage models which accurately reproduce actual nostalgia era Navy Carrier models, bonus points are awarded.

3.1.  Engine Specifications:  Engine and fuel system specifications shall be as listed in the current AMA regulations for each event.

3.2.  Moveable Leadouts:  Vertical or horizontal position of the leadouts relative to the model may not change in flight.

3.3.  Electronic Control Systems:  Electronic control systems are not permitted

4.  Builder of the Model:  The builder of the model rule does not apply to Nostalgia Navy Carrier.

5.  Historic Model Bonus:  A bonus of 20 points will be awarded for models which were published or manufactured prior to January 1, 1978.  The Contest Director may require proof of eligibility, which shall be the responsibility of the contestant.  Proof may consist of dated published plans, magazine construction articles, or advertisements.  To qualify for this bonus, models must comply with the following requirements:

5.1.  Modifications:  No modifications to the original design are permitted, except as listed below.  Any modifications other than those listed in section 5.2 which, in the opinion of the event director, significantly change the appearance or performance of the model as it was originally designed, shall not be permitted.  This prohibition includes, but is not limited to, changes in airfoil, changes in dimensions, and use of moveable control surfaces not included on the original design.

5.2.  Allowable Modifications:
    5.2.1.  Landing gear may be changed in length or material, but must exit the model at the original position.  A tail wheel may be substituted for a skid and vice versa.  Wheels may be of any diameter.
    5.2.2.  Leadout position may be changed from that shown on the plan.  Ground-adjustable leadouts are permitted.
    5.2.3.  Control travel, control mechanism location, and control mechanism may be changed.
    5.2.4.  Tip weight may be changed or may be adjustable.

NOSTALGIA CL NAVY CARRIER
(CONTINUED)

5.2.5.  Tail hook and its location may be changed.
    5.2.6.  Structural changes to strengthen the aircraft are permitted.
    5.2.7.  Building and finishing material substitutions are permitted.
    5.2.8.  Location of access hatches may be changed.
    5.2.9.  Engine mountings may be changed, and engines of different displacement may be used.

6.  Non-schnuerle Engine Bonus:  Non-schnuerle engines will receive a bonus of 20 points.

7.  Carrier Deck:  A carrier deck corresponding to current AMA regulations will be used.

8.  Records:  Records will not be established for Nostalgia Navy Carrier.

9.  Combination of Classes:  Class I and Class II may be combined for Nostalgia Navy Carrier.  If classes are combined, Class I models will receive a five percent bonus on total score (multiply Class I total score by 1.05).  Profile Class will not be combined with Class I and Class II in Nostalgia Navy Carrier.
mike potter

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 09:55:35 PM »
I really like and enjoy flying MO-1s. I've placed 2nd at the NATs two or three times in Class II with mine (OS65REDF, running backwards), some NATs thirds, fourths, fifths, in Class I and Profile (Wiley 36 running backwards). It seems as though the ship was designed with the Carrier Event in mind- just a pleasure to fly. I've only built the one Class II and it has flown in at least eight or ten NATs, attesting to the ruggedness of the design. The F4Us, Guardians, Bearcats, etc, rarely complete the landing phase of the event, they seem just too hot to handle, while the landing speed of an MO-1 "hangin'" in there assures an arrested landing almost every time. It really hurts me to see those nice WW II ships get banged up so! I flew a Sterling Mauler/Fox 50 in Nostalgia when the Nostalgia Event first came to the NATs, and my hat is off to those who compete with those planes!

It IS a competition, one enters to win, so one uses the best tool for that purpose, nothing bewildering there. What is bewildering to me is that those who object most to MO-1s don't even fly the Event.

One last, long overdue, thought. Bob Frogner has become one of Carrier's finest Torchbearers, and I really appreciate his comments on this Forum. Thanks BFrog!

dale gleason   

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 12:27:45 PM »

It IS a competition, one enters to win, so one uses the best tool for that purpose, nothing bewildering there. What is bewildering to me is that those who object most to MO-1s don't even fly the Event.

One last, long overdue, thought. Bob Frogner has become one of Carrier's finest Torchbearers, and I really appreciate his comments on this Forum. Thanks BFrog!

dale gleason   

On thought #1 -  Amen

On thought #2 - AMEN, AMEN!

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here