News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:46:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phoenix Contest Photos  (Read 2166 times)

Offline bfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Phoenix Contest Photos
« on: November 16, 2006, 11:05:08 AM »
Here are a couple of links to photos from the Nov 11 and 12, 2006 carrier contest in Phoenix.

We had good turn out and decent weather. Saturday started with a bit of wind but then turned very calm. Sunday got a little more breezy but not too bad. There were other events flown including stunt, combat, racing, ballon bust and scale.

I don't have the results but can add that the list of carrier contestants included:
Pete Mazur
Lou Wolgast
Bill Calkins
Eric Connely
Jim Schneider
Bob Frogner
plus some others that I do not have names.

Here's some pictures I took:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/555552814CaQKnV

And here are some that Bill Calkins took:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/555611360XIPBvl?start=0
Bob Frogner

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Phoenix Contest Photos
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 11:28:31 AM »
Great pictures from both of you gentlemen.  Just a little far for me to drive and can't afford to fly.  I like the Profile Corsair, how do I get a set of plans?  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 11:44:18 AM »
Doc,

The Corsair was Eric Connely's. He didn't fly it in the competition but did a demo flight on Sunday. It was a really pretty plane and very fast (I think under 18 secs for high speed). Eric is not confident enough in the low speed on this plane yet. He said he is building another one that he hopes to be lighter and maybe a bit better in low speed although it seemed to hang pretty well. He is a good pilot and  does such nice work.
Bob Frogner

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 05:22:40 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments on the Corsair. This was the first full flight I was able to put in. Up until this contest I could adjust it for a HS run and then would have to re-adjust for the LS portion of the flight(a rather awkward way to fly carrier) found a small piece dirt in the LS adjustment on the Perry and now it works perfect. I'm building another one that I hope will be lighter(around 43oz.) verses the 46oz. that this one weights so I can get a little more acceleration in the HS portion of the flight. It turned 17.6 in the pictured flight verses the 17.4+- that the 109T turned. What a rush and both planes handle so nice HS and LS. I'm still modifying the plans to try and get it a little lighter, it seems that all my planes weigh 46oz. no matter what I do(the muffler accounts for 3.7oz.) so unless I leave the wing or engine off I may never get them any lighter. eric

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 09:02:38 AM »
Here in this part of the country we have people putting weights on the plane to help get thru the wind.  Let me know when plans are ready for the Corsair.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 05:14:07 AM »
Great pictures of the contest, the Corsair looks great and so do the Wildcat and ME. I see that the fuel tanks are being installed into the wing ala some combat planes. Anyone care to elaborate on the construction aspects or anything with this setup. I do prefer the fuel tanks on the out board wing. Thanks
Wayne Buran
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 05:36:12 PM »
What are the specs on the Wildcat, and who's is it?  ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 07:50:44 PM »
Hi Wayne this is eric. I built all three of those planes. The F4F was built in around 93 or 94 and was one of my first trys at building something other than a MO1. I had a cousin that flew one off carriers in WW2 and was killed on Guadalcanal while trying to dead stick his F4F because they needed the parts so bad. It was a little big and had a lifting airfoil so was not the most competetive plane at the field. Built the 1st of 3 109Ts in 2000 and each one just got better, they are nice flying machines. Built the Corsair just in the last couple months and have started another one. The Corsair seems to fly just as good as the 109T but may be a 10th of a sec. slower in the HS but I think I can live with that while still flying a WW2 stars and stipes plane. One of the first things I do when thinking about building a new carrier plane is can I line up the engine, fuel tank, wing, and bellcrank so they will not add additional collective drag. The 109T is perfect and the F4U came close but would never think of a F6F because of to much frontal area. I love those nice heavy Nelsons Sport 40s because you can make the nose movement very short and still have room for a 3'' long fuel tank between the back of the engine and the front of the wing spar. I use a built up wing with 2- 3/8th by 1/8th spruce spars and put 1/32 in. ply doublers on both sides of the spar in the area of the tank and one more bay out beyond the tank. The bellcrank then mounts behind the tank and spar and is kept low in the wing so that the lines are in contact with the wing all the way out to the wing tip. The throtle cable is routed through a copper tube in the tank to the carb. on the engine. Use a mediume golden rod cable and it works fine even when its a little off. I will send Bill Little some pictures of the F4F sad to say a before and after. eric

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 08:15:13 PM »
Eric, thanks for the info. I do appreciate the prompt reply. Your airplanes look very nice and you are correct, no MO-1's. Keep up the good work.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 07:54:41 PM »
Here's the results of the Phoenix contest.

Pete had a great flight.
Eric did very well!
Bill Calkins had a brand new plane but it flew pretty well for a maiden outing.
Jim came a long way a flew well but had some motor problems. Couldn't seem to get that last lap or two to complete the flights.
Lou Had a  good score too.

Lots of flights and lots of entrants.

We all missed Dick Perry and Ron Duly this year.

Eric Conley         362
Bob Frogner         337
Lou Wolgast         310
Bill Calkins         210
Jim Schneider         103
Burt Brokaw         0

Class I
Eric Conley         439
Jim Schneider         316
Keith Trostle         209
Bill Calkins         182

Class II
Pete Mazur         478
Eric Conley         439
Jim Schneider         418

.15 Profile
Eric Conley         274
Jim Schneider         265
Bob Frogner         67
Lou Wolgast         63

Nostalgia Class I
Keith Trostle         463
Bob Frogner

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 04:48:52 AM »
Eric, I got a chance to look close at the ME and Corsair pictures. I was trying to assess your linkage setup. Can you explain the set up?
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 11:27:39 AM »
Funny you should ask that question now. I just started installing the release mechanism in my 2nd Corsair and also yust started to write something up on the subject. Niether one is easy. This is one of the most important things that is built into these planes and has to work right 100% of the time or your in deep trouble. Mine works on a cascade system ie., you give the plane down elevator(you could just as easily use up elevator) and that releases the arresting hook and as the hook rotates down a small arm at the pivot point pulls on a cable(Sullivan Gold-N-Cable#507) that goes out to the inside wing tip where it releases the external line guide. The lines then move back(slide) in a plywood external slider. The slider has a slit cut into it that runs back to a .25'' hole drilled at the end of the slit. I try to keep the lines ''on the wing'' for less drag which means that the bellcrank is mounted some what into the wing instead of on top of the wing(just enough to get the lines on the wing). Also you need to be able to release the hook with only about 7 to 10 degrees of elevator deflection so it dosnt upest the plane to much which means you need some type of mechanical switch in the release that stops the elevater defletion at say 5 degrees(so you dont trip it as you pick up the handle just before launch) and then needs a little jerk(up or down) to complete the release. Sounds like a lot of bother to go through but all of these things are there on any carrier plane and just need some fine tuning to get them to work this way. And what a joy when it all works right. I wish I could send pictures but dont have the programing yet so I hope this made some sence and if questions are left let me know and I'll try to clear them up. eric

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 08:32:59 PM »
Eric, thanks for the help.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 04:21:48 AM »
Eric, I got your pictures. Thanks. Relative to the mechanical switch what is it or does it look like. I expanded the picture but couldnt tell.
Thanks
Wayne

Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here