News:

• April 30, 2024, 11:14:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: over under sideways down  (Read 1545 times)

Offline roger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
over under sideways down
« on: October 11, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »
i have my bell. mounted over the inside wing but now have trouble doing the throttle thing. ive drilled a hole through the fuse. and tried to use a cable through a tube thing but found it still to tite to move easly what next? VD~

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: over under sideways down
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 03:56:42 PM »
With the bellcrank on the inboard side of the fuse, you will probably have to install a transverse shaft to the outboard side of the fuse, with a lever arm on each end of the transverse shaft.

If you have the latest Control Line World, there is an article/pix on the Brodak Guardian that uses the above set-up.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
Simple fix.
Ditch the three line control and install one of my U/Tronics Single Channel controls.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »
im not an electrician and sending a signal down a wire was only done by edison  i wouldent know  where to mount the 12volt battery LL~

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:08:32 AM »
where do you get insulated lines at???????????????? im lucky to find any lines at all.. not at usa hobbies

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:56:18 AM »
Brodak keeps them in stock...I got some recently.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »
If you intend to contest-fly, check your line diameter(s) before you buy them.  Two line systems require larger diameter lines (and the plastic insulation doesn't count).

For Profile and Class 1, 3-line is .015" diameter and 2-line is .020" diameter.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 03:08:50 AM »
so if im flying in the .015 class carrier what line dia. do i use??? maybe ill look into that electronic thingie! n~

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:23:39 AM »
Interesting question -- At one time, you HAD to use 3 lines in .15 carrier, because they rules stated "Profile Rules .... " except as follows ...

and at the time the rules were written, Profile required 3-line control.  Profile no longer requires 3 lines but there is no mention in the currently posted .15 rules about 2-line or 3-line control .. so my interpretation is that until this is clarified or revised, you must use 3 x .012 or 2 x .020 lines.

Now, on a more practical note, as a CD/ED, I would say that 2 line systems should probably require lines somewhat larger than 3-line systems and since we fly racing events on 2-line x .015" with bigger, heavier, faster planes then .015 should be more than adequate for a 20-30 oz. .15 Carrier plane.

However, remember that .15 is a "local" event and the rules are subject to whatever the local organizers wish them to be with the warning that rules changes that affect SAFETY must be blessed by the Safety committee at the time the sanction is issued.

So in the meantime, my next sanction application will spell out "NCS .15 Carrier rules" and my flyers will include a requirement of .015's for 2-line systems.  In the meantime, I will pose this question to the current NCS committee on unofficial rules and see if we can get some kind of clarification added to the rules that are now posted.

Care to comment,   Bfrog?    S?P

(On an another (even more) practical note, Brodak only offers .018 x 60 and .012 x 60 INSULATED lines.  I guess I would use the .018's until a 'clarification' or ruling can be added). 

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 06:58:46 PM »
well mike im only trying to start to get stuff ready for brodaks next year, i might get that electric stuf yet. i know i need no more than 52' lines but how thick? and why dont they sell insulated lines that long? and do i need a 2 or 3 line set up? id like to get rid of that 3rd line if i could.
roger ncs member

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 07:37:18 PM »
well mike im only trying to start to get stuff ready for brodaks next year, i might get that electric stuf yet. i know i need no more than 52' lines but how thick? and why dont they sell insulated lines that long? and do i need a 2 or 3 line set up? id like to get rid of that 3rd line if i could.
roger ncs member

Realize that with the U-Tronics system, you will need a servo, the U-tronics 'receiver' and a battery to power it in the plane, insulated lines and a control pot on your handle.

With a traditional 3-line system, you need a special bellcrank and a special handle.  They are more expensive than a 2-line bellcrank and a 2-line handle.

Pricewise and 'headache' wise, they are probably about even.

For lines, with a 3-line system using .012 wire you can get a 1000' spool of .012's for about $30 plus shipping.  Or you can purchase 3-line sets pre-made, probably.  For insulated 2-line systems you will have to find some fishing leader or the Brodak insulated lines and make them up to 52 feet and make electrical connections to the U-Tronics unit on one end and the control pot on the other.  You will need to take some extra care rolling and un-rolling and connecting them. You will probably need to use some type of recharge-able battery and keep it charged between flying sessions.

I'm not trying to talk you into (or out of) either one - I'm trying to illustrate what you must consider before you can make a choice.  I have great respect for Clancy Arnold and his U-Tronics systems - I own a couple of them for use in Electric powered planes.  I have in mind to eventually fly them in "2-line" mode.  I have always gotten immediate and friendly help from Clancy when I had a question or a problem.

But if you don't have ANY experience with carrier and the things that it requires you to learn that are different from flying sport planes without throttles, then you can save yourself some headaches and time by going with a conventional 3-line system that just about anyone can help you with if you need help.  You can get one of Joe Just's 'learner' systems with the less expensive handle and the simple bellcranks - I have used a similar setup for smaller planes and it works just fine.

As for "How thick", I suggest you go to:

http://navycarriersociety.org/15Carrier.aspx

and read the rules posted there.  I remember posting them on this forum at least twice in the past few months also.  They will require that you go to the AMA site and get the AMA carrier rules, because as I said before, the .15 rules only spell out the differences between .15 carrier and AMA Profile Carrier.

As for "why they don't sell lines that long", well -- they do.  You might have to dig a little, but I'm sure that on the Brodak site you will find a 3-line set of .012's or two 2-line sets of .012's that are the correct length (if you buy 3 sets of 2-lines you can make up two sets of 3-lines).  There are something like five pages of lines on the Brodak site. As with any commercially produced lines, they will be the wrong length, of course, and you will have to cut them down anyway, because they ALWAYS are.  After all, they (the producers) can't know what the wingspan of your plane is or the handle leadouts that you use.  But that is part of the competition side of control line - knowing what the rules are and making sure that your equipment conforms.  That is another point that you need to learn - the line length is measured from the handle grip to the centerline of the plane, not 'eyelet to eyelet'.  So if your plane and my plane have significantly different lead-out lengths, we will probably have different length lines if measured from eye2eye.

One final point - I don't know what the actual outer diameter of the insulated lines is but my gut feeling is that two of them or 3 non-insulated lines are going to be roughly equal in drag, so 'ditching' the 3rd line isn't going to be much of a performance gain.

I hope that helps --
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 09:55:01 PM »
OK, here's my 2 cents (or probably more like 10 or 12 cents).

The current 15 Carrier rules do not differentiate between 2 or 3 lines systems but only give solid and stranded minimum diameters (.010 and .012 respectively). I don't think it was ever considered that someone would fly on a two line system in 15 carrier. That said the logical thought is that a two line system should have at least the same cross-sectional area as a 3 line system. If you do the calculations that says that 2X .015"dia lines are about the same cross-section as 3X .012"dia. Now the pull test for 15 is only 25 lbs which is pretty easy to withstand. I don't know what the diameter of the wire is inside the Brodak insulated lines but my thought (and this is my guess not a an official rule at all) is that the metal lines inside the insulation would have to be at least .015"dia. The insulation is on top of that. That would mean the the insulated lines would be significantly larger than .015 and the increased drag would make the two line system a drawback not an advantage.

I will discuss this with others on the unofficial rules committee and try to come up with a clear answer.

Now from a beginners point of view I agree with Mike. Don't try the 2 line thing unless you have experience with other signal down the wires models. Carrier is difficult enough without trying to invent something new at the same time as learning how to fly it. Go with a normal 3 line system with Brodak handle and bellcrank. It's proven, others know how to work out the issues and it fits the rules as we know them today. I don't know of many people, other than maybe some scale flyers, that have even tried the insulated line setup. The one time I saw one of these planes fly it took the experienced scale guy about an hour to get things working. Keep it simple and conventional. I don't want to discourage new approaches but my feeling is that a new carrier flyer, or even an experienced carrier flyer, will have some bugs to work out of a 2 line system that would be more trouble than advantage.
Bob Frogner

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 08:47:29 AM »
thanks gents really helped

roger and out

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here